check engine light is on?

This is a discussion on check engine light is on? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello I am new to this website and I have owned my 03 subaru wrx for about 2 years now ...

check engine light is on?

Hello I am new to this website and I have owned my 03 subaru wrx for about 2 years now and the check engine light is on.I had the code scanned and it told me it was an oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2.I replaced the sensor and still the light is on.I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or could help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    This should be in the troubleshooting thread. Did you check the new cel code, is it the same.

Just for reference CEL Codes for WRX and STi
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Thanks, but the code is P0031 which is a front oxygen sensor low input.I have changed the sensor twice at $200.00 a pop but sill the light is on.

I Support ClubWRX
    By chance did you use oem parts? check this as well CEL P0031 or P0032 Fix or this P0031 Cel
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 12-22-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Yeah I used oem parts both times.I did it twice because I thought the first O2 sensor was bad.All the wiring and connectors were fine.I heard rumors about maybe installing a high temp. spark plug would that help?

I Support ClubWRX
    Im assuming the parts were brand new, sorry just have to ask.

If yes, I am no further help as I have no experience with this problem.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Yeah the parts were new from the dealer.The car is 100% stock and has ran fine since the day I got it even with the light on.It's just annoying know what I mean!Thanks for all the help though!

Have you checked for an exhaust leak that could be throwing off the reading to the O2 sensor? Also did you reset the ecu after you replaced it?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok so today I pulled the wheel and the inside liner to check the O2 sensor.I unplugged the harness connector and it was fine.I traced all wiring to the O2 sensor and they are ok also.The bracket is still in place and no wires are melted.I have a MAC tool scanner and when I clear the code it comes on seconds after I start the car.There is no exhaust leak that I know of.

The one thing I did not do is reset the ecu after I replaced the sensor can someone tell me how to do that please?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Disconnect the battery, then depress the brake pedal for a few seconds. That should reset it.

It sounds like a bad o2 sensor isn't the cause of your problem. You may need to dig in a little further and follow a diag flowchart

So I found out that my system is running rich causing it to make the O2 sensor not read properly.What can I do to fix that?