HELP 2011 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELP 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey , I picked up the 2011 WRX sedan in dark grey not to long ago. I am going to ...

HELP 2011 WRX

Hey ,
    I picked up the 2011 WRX sedan in dark grey not to long ago. I am going to put a COBB stage 2 chip in , aswell as a down pipe and an unrelated short shifer. DO you think the down pipe is going to make the car really loud? I want more of a sleeper car if you know what i mean.
    Please le me knwo your thoughts, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just put a downpipe in my 2011 sti limited, drove it a short time and i got a check engine light along with the side control light,seat belt light, airbags light, and blinking "s" drive light. I'm guessing its from the cobb downpipe without the retune. I havent got to it yet. Its in the garage for the winter.....have fun!

Dang, on the newer WRXs a tune is a must with a downpipe!

OP: Just a downpipe will still be a sleeper. Things may be a little louder but really, not that much. The stock cat-backs are sooooo quiet.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by chr321 View Post
    Hey ,
    I picked up the 2011 WRX sedan in dark grey not to long ago. I am going to put a COBB stage 2 chip in , aswell as a down pipe and an unrelated short shifer. DO you think the down pipe is going to make the car really loud? I want more of a sleeper car if you know what i mean.
    Please le me knwo your thoughts, thanks

I put a cobb downpipe on mine yet it has stock catback, it didnt make much difference in the sound, just a little. You have to get rid of the stock mufflers. They are restricting.

I have the tune, just havent had a chance to do it. I also have a perrine catback. Its pretty cold here and my garage isnt heated so i'm waiting for the weather to break.

some guy was telling me that i need to get a cold air intake aswell if i want chip it witha stage 2? What are the requirements? i thought it was pretty much just a down pipe! I would love to but i cant show up to meetings in a race car if u know what i mean.

thanks
    but what are the requirements for the chip. all i need is a down pipe right ?

Talking

thanks
    but what are the requirements for the chip. all i need is a down pipe right ?
    for my car a cobb stage 2 requires the full exhaust, turbo back. There is a seperate tune for stage 2 if you have a cold air intake. I dont think i'll go that route yet without a professional tune. I 'm afraid it will lean it out too much and i'm not ready to blow it up.

Stage 2 has more than just one variation. Stage 2 essentially means you have a downpipe but on top of that you can add an intake or cat-back and still be stage 2. Check out the maps Cobb has here. You can see they have stage 2 maps for just a dp as well as maps for different fuel, etc..:

cobb . wrx accessport . map listing

If you have the dp why not get an up pipe as well? they arn't that exspensive and really help out your turbo lag and is a great pair to add with your dp, plus it saves you from having to tune it twice.

all the maps are for turbo back with the variations of the intake and octane with different boost levels. doesnt turbo back include exhaust all the way to the mufflers? so with stock cat back does the map still apply?

Cat-back exhaust = after the downpipe = after the cats. Basically very little change to air flow, mostly for sound. Cbe only is a stage 0 or 1.

Turbo-back exhaust = downpipe + cat-back. The downpipe typically has a high-flow cat in it but some do not. This makes a difference in which tune to use. A downpipe for the more recent years means Stage 2 no matter what. Downpipe = stage 2.

So a cbe vs a tbe is a definite difference. Adding a cbe to a downpipe (stage 2) doesn't do much. A stage 2 tune for a downpipe only, then adding a cbe, typically uses the same map.

Intakes can/cannot impact all of the above. If you do anything with the intake (even a drop-in filter) then you likely need a revised map. Any stage.

some guy was telling me that i need to get a cold air intake aswell if i want chip it witha stage 2? What are the requirements? i thought it was pretty much just a down pipe! I would love to but i cant show up to meetings in a race car if u know what i mean.
    You should never trust "some guy"
    You do not need a cold air intake to have the car at stage 2.
    The requirements for stage 2 is a downpipe and a tune.
    A cold air intake would require a custom tune, unless Cobb has a map for stage 2 with that specific brand of intake.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    You should never trust "some guy"
    You do not need a cold air intake to have the car at stage 2.
    The requirements for stage 2 is a downpipe and a tune.
    A cold air intake would require a custom tune, unless Cobb has a map for stage 2 with that specific brand of intake.

Thats what i was thinking. thanks alot ... i think i am going to do it all this weekend. Should be good..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast