STI low frequency vibration

This is a discussion on STI low frequency vibration within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am the proud owner of a new 2011 STI sedan. I love my car but I have an intermitent ...

Thumbs up STI low frequency vibration

I am the proud owner of a new 2011 STI sedan. I love my car but I have an intermitent low frequency vibration (similar to a subwofer) that I think is being caused by the exhaust. I love the exhaust note but I think that it is causing the resonation that I am experiencing. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it consistent and steadily the same, or is it intermittent? Do you feel it through your seat, or is it something you hear?

If it's intermittent, and felt through your seat, it could just be the typical at idle vibration that these engines exhibit. I've heard some liken it to a shiver, which describes it well.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Thumbs up low frequency vibration

It is intermitent and only at idle. It is definitely the exhaust vibration. If this is typical, it is a minor annoyance. I wonder if a different exhaust would eliminate the vibration?
    Last edited by steveng; 12-14-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: rhetorical question

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Mine will do this when other parts engage.. When the fan turns on for instance - the engine drags for a second and you can really feel the exhaust vibrate. Since the fan cycles, I can see how you would think this is intermittent.

Now that its cold here - I notice it happen when I turn on the window defroster.

The more you drive the car, you will notice the depth of the exhaust note getting deeper (likewise the vibration will increase slightly). This is normal since the car is breaking in.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by steveng View Post
    I wonder if a different exhaust would eliminate the vibration?
    Not sure if equal length headers would help or not but that's a whole different animal than a cat back swap; the stock unequal length headers are what gives the WRX and STI their unique rumble.

If you're OCD about all sorts of odd noises and vibrations, these cars can push you over the edge
    ...Rob.

I have OCD; and my wife doesn't hear or feel vibration. Are you a pyschiatrist? If so, how much do I owe you?

It was only a couple of minutes of my time...whatever money you have should cover it.
    ...Rob.

The first place to start is the dealer. You're under warranty so let them (hopefully) take care of it for free. It may be something simple. Or it may just be the way the car sounds. It's a performance car. Have you owned other performance cars before?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading