Mixed feeling - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Mixed feeling within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BANSwee anyways,, yeah sure we can't BUt I guess we have to arm ourselves with information/right technique ...

Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    anyways,, yeah sure we can't BUt I guess we have to arm ourselves with information/right technique on driving if ever we have to go out to this kind of weather.
    Cars that do well in the snow have tall skinny tires that push the snow out of the way so they can contact the hard ground, and have a chassis with lots of ground clearance.

I don't know what year CR-V you had, so I just looked at the 2005. They have 8.1" of ground clearance, and 215/65R16 tires.

Your WRX has 6.1" of ground clearance and shorter/wider 235/45R17 tires (I checked)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    I did correct it by not applying anything (i.e. brake, acceleration..)
    Just for the future - you'd have done better going out of the curve if you had applied gas - you get the car to want to follow a straight line out of there, and you get the front wheels to stop engine braking the rear out.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    wait wait wait.. you're complaining about over steer on a car notorious for understeer? ......

I'm confused...

However, my confusion aside .. you're comparing (as you accurately mentioned) basically fwd vehicles to a full time awd. Any tire who's traction is broken (spinning or stopped) gives NO directional control regardless of the drivetrain arrangement. Doesn't matter if they're summer or winter or all (3) season tires. The difference between those 3 grades of tire is compound and tread design along with how much/little force it will take to break traction in the conditions they're compared in.
    I dont know any tire that grabs well in 5-8" of snow.. none that will fit a car anyway.

if your rear tires are spinning the momentum of the cornering car will carry the rear out.. fwd and rear assisted fwd will not handle like that at all because the rear only have enough torque to maintain road speed and aid the primary drive wheels enough to stop them from spinning. They likely wont spin or stop on their own on a fwd or assisted fwd rig.. so.. given that we have 50/50 with brake actuated traction control.. our cars should behave more like a rwd car in a ultra low traction situation like you had in the deep snow.

Usually the scoobie will push. I'm now very curious to wonder that the changes in front suspension geometry in the 11's has changed how the car likes to react. hmm... things to think about
    This was an excellent explanation of it.

/thread
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12