new to wrx

This is a discussion on new to wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi guys i am completely new to wrx and never drove a sports car before, looking for tips to keep ...

Talking new to wrx

hi guys i am completely new to wrx and never drove a sports car before, looking for tips to keep wrx healthy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello, welcome. Follow the service schedule in the owner's manual to the letter, preferring authentic parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Welcome...
    regular maintenance and follow the service schedule to the T as stated below...
    post up pictures of your rex...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I bought wrx mainly to have some fun in snow with AWD , any videos or tips I can get to have fun in snow

• Should i use full synthetic engine oil if so please recommend brand
    • Does WRX come with block heater if no how to start in -30s
    • for how long I should keep my car running in cold mornings
    • how to make wrx sound nice and loud but not annoying loud so far i have a no name muffler on with stock cat and stock piping
    • should i use mobil 1 0W-30, please advise
    Last edited by 03wrxcalgary; 12-13-2010 at 09:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03wrxcalgary
    Should i use full synthetic engine oil if so please recommend brand
    ??What oil should I use??

Does WRX come with block heater if no how to start in -30s
    It's a factory option.

"Dry Gas" can be useful in cold-weather situations.

for how long I should keep my car running in cold mornings
    However long you'd like. I normally will start the car, then work on brushing/scraping any snow or ice, then just go. The only thing to worry about is beating on the car before it's fully warmed up; you want the oil up to OT. The OEM temp gauge is coolant, and that is not really indicative, except that oil typically takes about twice as long to get to OT as coolant.

how to make wrx sound nice and loud but not annoying loud so far i have a no name muffler on with stock cat and stock piping
    What do you want to change about the way your car sounds? Is it too loud/soft? Too much drone?

should i use mobil 1 0W-30, please advise
    See link above.

That said, the owners manual outlines which weight/viscosity to run based on the temperatures the car will be run. For example, here's the section from my '05 manual:

NOTE: There may be differences due to year and location, so refer to your own manual. If you do not have your manual, you should be able to get one from http://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/index.html
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Its not loud enough i can barely hear it

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    ??What oil should I use??

It's a factory option.

"Dry Gas" can be useful in cold-weather situations.

However long you'd like. I normally will start the car, then work on brushing/scraping any snow or ice, then just go. The only thing to worry about is beating on the car before it's fully warmed up; you want the oil up to OT. The OEM temp gauge is coolant, and that is not really indicative, except that oil typically takes about twice as long to get to OT as coolant.

What do you want to change about the way your car sounds? Is it too loud/soft? Too much drone?

See link above.

That said, the owners manual outlines which weight/viscosity to run based on the temperatures the car will be run. For example, here's the section from my '05 manual:

NOTE: There may be differences due to year and location, so refer to your own manual. If you do not have your manual, you should be able to get one from http://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/index.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Try attending a local meet to hear other exhausts in person, or search on YouTube (but that's not nearly as informative).

You could run a 0W-40 synthetic all year round or even a 5W-40 synthetic from what you've said. There are several choices on the market, but they will vary by locale, so shop around for something that is a synth, in that range, affordable, accessible easily, and that your car does not "drink" too quickly (consumption of up to 1L per 1600km is considered "normal" by SOA and many other makers, and it will vary from oil to oil and car to car, so keep checking it and make sure it's topped up). The M1 0W-30 you mentioned is also in the correct viscosity range for your climate IMO, and you could also try that year-round. I prefer the 0W- and 5W-40s personally (just my opinion).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks EJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Its not loud enough i can barely hear it
    Do as SD_GR suggested and attend local meets. Listen to and look at exhausts in person. Get an idea of the style exhaust you want (angled canister vs OEM straight-exit), the loudness you want (catted, catless, resonator).

YouTube will give you a general idea of the tone of the exhaust, but should not be the sole basis for your purchase - all video recording equipment isn't created equal, and there will be varying levels of audio input (microphones), processing by the camera, and compression by YouTube, all of which will alter the sound from real life.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

how do I do local meet ups I have never done any

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Do as SD_GR suggested and attend local meets. Listen to and look at exhausts in person. Get an idea of the style exhaust you want (angled canister vs OEM straight-exit), the loudness you want (catted, catless, resonator).

YouTube will give you a general idea of the tone of the exhaust, but should not be the sole basis for your purchase - all video recording equipment isn't created equal, and there will be varying levels of audio input (microphones), processing by the camera, and compression by YouTube, all of which will alter the sound from real life.

Search the regions part, for people in your local area... start reading those threads about past/future meets and post questions about them in there. That would be your best bet.