Hello to a new car maker, and to a new community
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hello to a new car maker, and to a new community within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; EDIT: I FINALLY BOUGHT MY FIRST SUBIE!!!! SCROLL TO LAST POST (if you are not prepared for one hell of ...

I Support ClubWRX

Hello to a new car maker, and to a new community

EDIT: I FINALLY BOUGHT MY FIRST SUBIE!!!! SCROLL TO LAST POST

(if you are not prepared for one hell of an introduction, please scroll down to cliffs)

I've been lurking around the forum for quite sometime now and been waiting to make an intro, so now's a good as time as any.

A little but about me, name's JJ. I'm 21 years old but i look 14. ASE certified A1 and A5 (engine repair and steering and suspension.) Expecting my first child in the summer of '11. I'm a 5'5 Filipino who's finished with school. I speculate that I will have my school loans paid off by Febuary and will be looking forward to getting a '11 STi 5-door in satin white pearl. This will be my first car that i'm actually paying for, but my second car owning. My first car is an '07 Honda Civic LX, modded then parted out with 121k hard earned miles on the clock and keeping it as a daily driving beater. I've been a member of such appropriate forum communities such as honda-tech as well as 8thcivic.

pic i took just minutes before i've parted out and went back to stock

mods; performance

AEM CAI
    GReddy TiC catback

exterior

HFP front lip
    Enkei RPF1 17x8 +45.. 225/45/17 yokohama S.drive tires
    badgeless grille
    vanity plate
    red H
    tint

suspension

Buddy Club n+ 15 way adjustable coilovers (corner balanced by me)
    skunk2 rear camber kit
    SPC front camber bolts
    Eibach front and rear sway bar
    Comptech Xbrace
    Megan racing B pillar bar

interior

skunk2 5 spd weight shift knob
    skunk2 short shifter
    Buddy Club bucket seat
    SPARCO 4pt harness

ICE

pioneer single din headunit
    MB quart component front speakers
    Kicker coaxial rear speakers
    Performance technique 370/4 4chan amp
    JL 500/1 monoblock
    2 JL 10w3v2 subwoofers

Proud to say I've done all the installation myself with little help from friends to save time. My car has never missed it's scheduled maintenance and runs flawlessly to this day in it's bone stock form, despite the few track days, and the countless endless canyon runs. Loving my 34mpg on 87 octane but HATED the attention from the police. I've spent about 5,000$ on fix-it tickets in the last 3 years. The reason for being so much is because i had so many to keep track of and forgot a few and went to collections. But never again.

========

So now i've decided on a Subaru. i'll love the idea of an AWD and turbo and the 2 (actually 3) extra doors will come in handy for my newborn. i don't plan on going too crazy with mod's but i still want to have a little fun. I searched around and haven't found a reputable set of coilovers as well as camber kits, so I'd appreciate any information for my first set of mods. Volk RE30's or Advan RGII's 18x9 will come when I can find some extra cash. As far as performance, I'm just looking at a COBB TBE and access port. Nothing really extreme as I plan on having this car for a very long time. Which leads me to some questions

first of all, any disputes regarding my mod plans? any negative comments on those wheels or COBB products?

I frequent CorSport Online Store general overview of aftermarket parts for my civic, but haven't found an equivalent for subarus. What are some of the sites you visit?

I've heard rumors about Subarus having "glass trannys". Mostly with older models. Is it true? or are those people just contanly beating on the trans that that was inevitable.

for those who commute with a baby on board and are in a newer 08+ 5 door, how is the space in the trunk with the stroller? room for a small 10" subwoofer? how do spills, messes, and any other baby related incidents cope with the interior upholstry? easy to clean? or am i scrubbing for hours.

kind of hard to explain this next question. On the COBB website, I watched the video clip of a 5 door STi on a dyno, the tailights were red completely surrounding the white. but everywhere else i look the red is just on the part of the taillight that isn't on the hatch. is this just an STi thing?

That pretty much sums it up. I'f i can think of more ill be sure to add. any info will be appreciated. questions and opinions are welcome.

other useless non sense:
    -i own a nikon d60 with the intention of learning how to use it to its potential
    -i smoke too damn much
    -i have more pairs of shoes then i do socks
    -circuit racing>drag
    -i try and follow BTCC and F1
    -huge fan of BBC's Top Gear which is how i came up with my username. They pronounced the car "impretza" and the first thing i thought of was pretzel lol.

fin.

cliffs: Hi, I'm new
    Last edited by impretzel; 01-25-2012 at 12:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to club
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by impretzel View Post
    I speculate that I will have my school loans paid off by Febuary and will be looking forward to getting a '11 STi 5-door in satin white pearl.
    Those are nice, I think you'll like it.

I searched around and haven't found a reputable set of coilovers as well as camber kits, so I'd appreciate any information
    Get the car first and see if you really need all that stuff. If you end up going for it nonetheless, if I were you I'd go for something with a TUV. This almost entirely excludes anything made in Asia as far as I can tell -- and frankly, I've become disillusioned with the Japanese stuff. Dampers, OK; both Kayaba and Tokico have still "got it." Coilovers, no, I'm looking elsewhere if it were for me. Think KW, Ohlins and so on.

Volk RE30's or Advan RGII's 18x9 will come when I can find some extra cash.
    Those are very expensive and very large. I'd get the smallest wheel you can possibly find that meets your needs and clears your brakes. Luckily, the car is sold with four wheels; you may just decide on keeping those for a while and save some $ (plus potentially end up with a quicker car for all I know).

As far as performance, I'm just looking at a COBB TBE and access port.
    The other option is to DIY the mapping. Your choice really.

Nothing really extreme as I plan on having this car for a very long time.
    Good thinking. I drive my cars until the doors fall off.

any negative comments on those wheels or COBB products?
    Cost, not necessary, and so on. They are tried and proven and popular though, so if you feel like spending, they are an option.

I've heard rumors about Subarus having "glass trannys". Mostly with older models. Is it true? or are those people just contanly beating on the trans that that was inevitable.
    Probably a little bit of both I suppose. My gearbox is 8 years old and it's fine. In any case you'd be getting the 6spd. People break those too but not as frequently and people like them much, much more because they tend to be more robust.

how do spills, messes, and any other baby related incidents cope with the interior upholstry? easy to clean? or am i scrubbing for hours.
    Have you considered leather?

On the COBB website, I watched the video clip of a 5 door STi on a dyno, the tailights were red completely surrounding the white. but everywhere else i look the red is just on the part of the taillight that isn't on the hatch. is this just an STi thing?
    Don't know. Maybe tint?

-i own a nikon d60 with the intention of learning how to use it to its potential
    Check out Thom Hogan's site and dpreview.

-i have more pairs of shoes then i do socks
    I appreciate US-made and European-made shoes, and have over a dozen at any given time. Do you use shoe trees? I make a point of doing so.

-i try and follow BTCC and F1
    There's a motorsport forum with talk about the grands prix etc. on the site.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Those are nice, I think you'll like it.

Get the car first and see if you really need all that stuff. If you end up going for it nonetheless, if I were you I'd go for something with a TUV. This almost entirely excludes anything made in Asia as far as I can tell -- and frankly, I've become disillusioned with the Japanese stuff. Dampers, OK; both Kayaba and Tokico have still "got it." Coilovers, no, I'm looking elsewhere if it were for me. Think KW, Ohlins and so on.

I've heard good reviews on both KW and Ohlins, and think i'll go for the KW when the time is right. i wasn't sure KW made a set for the STi til now, thanks! the reason i want coilovers really is to close up the wheel gap a bit more in good weather, raise it up when it snows, and i'll have the option to track later when i run my civic into the ground and have an even more reliable daily. i always want that plan B.

Those are very expensive and very large. I'd get the smallest wheel you can possibly find that meets your needs and clears your brakes. Luckily, the car is sold with four wheels; you may just decide on keeping those for a while and save some $ (plus potentially end up with a quicker car for all I know).
    Well the reason why I chose that size is that i know the stock BBS for the STi was an 18" and i thought for whatever reason a 17" wouldn't clear. But i'll definetly go with a 17" is its the smallest i can use to clear the brakes. Not to worry though, like I said i'll be in the market for wheel's when i just have extra money. Probably the first mod once the car's paid off.

The other option is to DIY the mapping. Your choice really.

i guess ill just stick with the COBB's maps, for now at least. I'm not very power hungry, i just want something safe, fun to drive, AWD, and i'll be able to track it in the distant future.

Good thinking. I drive my cars until the doors fall off.

Cost, not necessary, and so on. They are tried and proven and popular though, so if you feel like spending, they are an option.
    Awesome, thanks.

Probably a little bit of both I suppose. My gearbox is 8 years old and it's fine. In any case you'd be getting the 6spd. People break those too but not as frequently and people like them much, much more because they tend to be more robust.
    i'll keep an eye out for anything if it starting acting up.

Have you considered leather?
    If i can get a good enough deal on the "Premium" STi version then i'll go with that. I've never been a big fan of leather though. Heavier, gets hot in the car, slippery, cracks, so on.. but I guess it's better then drool stains all over a cloth seat.

Don't know. Maybe tint?
    here's a screen shot from COBBs website of the tail lights.

and heres a stock one.

If it is tint then it good news. cheaper than a pair of tail lights all together lol. me no like chrome.

Thanks SD_GR for all the helpful info :beer:

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

So now i've decided on a Subaru. i'll love the idea of an AWD and turbo and the 2 (actually 3) extra doors will come in handy for my newborn. i don't plan on going too crazy with mod's but i still want to have a little fun. I searched around and haven't found a reputable set of coilovers as well as camber kits, so I'd appreciate any information for my first set of mods. Volk RE30's or Advan RGII's 18x9 will come when I can find some extra cash. As far as performance, I'm just looking at a COBB TBE and access port. Nothing really extreme as I plan on having this car for a very long time. Which leads me to some questions

first of all, any disputes regarding my mod plans? any negative comments on those wheels or COBB products?

I frequent CorSport Online Store general overview of aftermarket parts for my civic, but haven't found an equivalent for subarus. What are some of the sites you visit?

for those who commute with a baby on board and are in a newer 08+ 5 door, how is the space in the trunk with the stroller? room for a small 10" subwoofer? how do spills, messes, and any other baby related incidents cope with the interior upholstry? easy to clean? or am i scrubbing for hours.

kind of hard to explain this next question. On the COBB website, I watched the video clip of a 5 door STi on a dyno, the tailights were red completely surrounding the white. but everywhere else i look the red is just on the part of the taillight that isn't on the hatch. is this just an STi thing?

That pretty much sums it up. I'f i can think of more ill be sure to add. any info will be appreciated. questions and opinions are welcome.

cliffs: Hi, I'm new

Welcome!

You certainly will enjoy your STI when you get it.

Best advice so far is to take it and enjoy it out of the box first. Learn it, everything you can about owning one. Know how it can handle anything thrown at it, from cruising, to breaking, to accelerating, and so on, in its stock form before you set a path for mods. Even though you sound like you have a basic understanding of what you want to do...take it slow

STI transmissions are not glassboxes. They are very tough. The drivetrain of an STI can stand much more god forbid "abuse" than a regular WRX 5-speed. The older 02-05 transmissions were more or less considered the "glassbox" transmissions. Is that to say you can't mangle an STI transmission? Of course not. One wrong launch or slamming gears around can tear some teeth or crack a casing. Just use good judgment. Stock STI transmissions have been known to handle 600whp from a built engine. WRX transmissions usually are only stable til about 300whp. Of course, how you drive it makes all the difference. You will be fine as long as you treat your STI right.

As for your few mods...you have some good stuff picked out. Cobb TBE is a quality piece, but its not cheap. An accessport will be good to get you to Stage 2, which is necessary with a TBE, and its very easy to use. But you got time. Keep looking and keep researching and you may find something else you like better...don't hesitate to look at used goods too. Many can be found for 50% cheaper than new, but still be in like new condition...that's my trade secret (and many others) for modding. Coils are somewhere you don't want to skimp on...BCs, Megan Racing, and the cheaper priced brands aren't that reliable...I've heard many a horror story. They are one thing that you usually get what you pay for. Also don't be afraid to look into just basic springs and strut separates...like RCE Blacks/Yellows, Eibach Prokits, etc and Koni/KYB/Tockico inserts...though the idea of coils to lower and raise them for the weather isn't a bad idea, how often are you gonna be under the car adjusting the coils?

Volk Re30s are sick. Just plain awesome. They are my favorite wheels ever. Of course you can't knock Advans. They both can break the bank pretty good, but they are excellent quality and definitely add a nice performance and bling factor. I don't think that 18x9s are too bad considering the stockers on that Generation STI are 18x8.5s. But as SD_GR said, smaller may be better in regards to unsprung weight. 17s (with the correct offset and fitment of course) will fit over the Brembos, as they are the same as on 04-07 STIs, which have 17inch wheels, stock. SD_GR suggests that as he is all about form, reliability, and function with his cars

Good sites are plenty for Subarus: JSCSpeed.com, Turninconcepts.com, Rallysportdirect.com, fastwrx.com, and MANY more...these can get you started though

I've said quite a bit, so I'll let others chime in on other questions haha.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX

back from the dead!

Sup.

the reason for my resurrection is because i've decided not to go with the 2011 STi premium 5 door in SWP. Instead i've purchased a 2012 STi 5 door premium in SWP lol

i've placed my order dec 7th with 1k deposit and she arrived last wednesday. due to arriving a dull week before the ETA, i couldnt just drop what i was doing to drive 60 miles to go get it, so the car was put on the showroom floor til last saturday when i went to pick it up. and man did the car receive alot of attention lol.

welp, here she is..

(thats not me in the pic, my friend came along and drooled over it as i signed the papers lol)

teaser i took for the unsuspecting other friends who were at work

stopped at Wendy's, open parking spot next to me, and i deployed the mini lol

other goodies i got:

extended warantee
    lowjack
    SPT short throw shifter
    all weather package
    homelink with compass and auto dimming mirror (cant figure out how to program the damn garage opener yet)

-I absolutely LOVE this car. Even keeping it under 4k rpm this is just a dream to drive. i'm so glad my hard work paid off and i gotta keep working hard to get the rest of these mods.

-The ride quality is an excellent combination of comfort and performance.

-The power, i cannot complain. i've spent the first 5 hours of having the car driving around in "i" mode, unaware that a twist to the right turned it into a maniac. i guess it slipped my mind at the time because i was well aware that the controls were there.

-Lots of room in the back seats, i'm 5'5 and my gf is shorter than me, meaning that the front seats aren't as far back as usual, making the rear leg room more than enough for my backseat dwellers.

-I thought the sliding truck cover was pretty kick ass.

==And some concerns, minor of course

-I open the hood and i have absolutely no idea what i'm looking at or where to even begin. my biggest concern is driving i car i dont know how to put back together. But compared to the rest of my concerns, this will be the most fun to conquer. im sure with some more time on the forums and ALLDATA, along with what i already know i'm sure i can manage. i mean it can't be that bad right lol

-No where to put my arm. might consider that arm rest extension

-The stereo could be better. I wasnt expecting BOSE but for $40k at the very least a factory subwoofer. no biggie though.

-I havn't even touched certain parts of the dashboard and door panels and already seeing scuff marks. judging by the type of plastic in the car, i fear this will be a constant battle over the years wiping everything down over and over.

annd that pretty much concludes my second intro. thanks for reading. looks like im here to stay

thanks mikie13! i've found just about everything i wanted on rallysportdirect. Just about as clear and straight foreward site for parts just like the site i used to always visit, Corsportusa.

thanks also wrxtreme06! i've already ordered my tail light overlays from bluebat and waiting for them to arrive, but i may have to place another order because i overlooked the white 3rd brake light that i also wanted red lol.

btw i also mentioned in my OP that i was expecting my first child. well here he is now 7 months in his chariot

Last edited by impretzel; 01-25-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Nice car man and cute baby!

1 quick tip, my gf's baby sister(also 7months) loves the Subie rumble in the back seat. Puts her to sleep during every ride =P

Congrats man!

Congrats on finally picking it up! Pretty!

The stereo is a "meh" thing in Subarus...change the head unit and add a simple subwoofer...will make a world of difference. The interior is years ahead of anything else Subaru has done, be glad you don't have a 2005 STI...then you'd really complain But the armrest extension is definitely a beneficial piece. I had one in my 2007 STI before and it was a lifesaver.

I too didn't have a clue what was under the hood of that car when I bought my first STI in 2006. But you will learn quickly, especially if you have a knack for cars. Stick around, ask questions...read everything you can and you'll pick up quickly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sup.

the reason for my resurrection is because i've decided not to go with the 2011 STi premium 5 door in SWP. Instead i've purchased a 2012 STi 5 door premium in SWP lol
    ****'s weak.

I'm just jealous.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, and congrats. ^ Just ignore him, and he'll stop.....well, sometimes. He has PPGs.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Welcome, and congrats. ^ Just ignore him, and he'll stop.....well, sometimes. He has PPGs.
    You didn't read my whole post obviously.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You didn't read my whole post obviously.
    ???....Is it in white font? What did I miss?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    ???....Is it in white font? What did I miss?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.