New member - 2011 WRX

This is a discussion on New member - 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone! I bought a 2011 obsidian black pearl WRX base model last week. I used to drive a 5MT ...

New member - 2011 WRX

Hello everyone!
    I bought a 2011 obsidian black pearl WRX base model last week.

I used to drive a 5MT 94' integra ls with headers, exhaust, & SRI
    so i'm pretty new to the AWD / turbo platform.

I was wondering if anyone can offer me any type of advice with moving from a FWD to a AWD / turbo

ive noticed there arent many black 2011 wrx sedans pictures on the forums, so here's a few

Last edited by scx89; 12-07-2010 at 09:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Never launch the car, always use the clutch when shifting, never keep the throttle planted when shifting, and never tow the car. Everything else is similar to an FWD.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Congrats man, sick looking car! I can't wait to get my hands on one, what kind of deal did you get on it? any options?

Congrats on ur purchase. I have now owned 3 different model yrs including my 2011. Whatever u do to the car don't get a blow off valve, only add an intake if ur going to tune for it, don't add a downpipe unless ur gonna tune for it, don't just up the boost with a boost controler....get a real tune to the ecu, and be nice to the 5 speed tranny as it isn't super strong at higher hp levels. There is a ton more to learn, but ull find the car has more grip in adverse weather. The car will push out of a turn with heavy throttle and speed, but the understeer is much better than previous yrs, and nothing suspension mods won't cure. I found it easy to find the traction limit in these cars due to the AWD and how quick it will recover when lifting off on stock suspension, but do this in a safe environment of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBieReX11 View Post
    Congrats man, sick looking car! I can't wait to get my hands on one, what kind of deal did you get on it? any options?
    i got it for about -$500 off invoice, my OTD was $27,000 with 8.75% tax
    options are - duracon shift knob, red footwell lights, all weather mats

@Trunkmonkey56 so basically get a tune with anything?
    do i need to buy engine management or should I just go to a tuner? I'm not interested in BOV actually, I want performance / best mileage? I read the intake isn't restrictive on the 11's so should I just go with downpipe + tune?

also what would be examples of not being nice to your tranny?
    I know shifting w/o clutching is horrible, dropping the clutch is horrible, staying on the clutch too long, and that's about all i know of.

also, when would turning off the traction control be useful? the button next to the gauge light controls??

@SD_GR How can I get a good start w/o launching it? Do you mean dropping the clutch or feathering the clutch or both?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scx89 View Post
    @SD_GR How can I get a good start w/o launching it? Do you mean dropping the clutch or feathering the clutch or both?
    On dry tarmac it's cheapest and safest to just wait. If you insist on getting going quickly it's safest to be as progressive with the clutch as possible, otherwise things could get expensive I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Congrads man, I just picked up mine on Friday.
    2011 wrx limited 5 door world rally blue

A stg 1 tune using a tuning device like the cobb accessport or better yet a custom tune would b the first power mod id recomend. The accessport is a tuning device that allows u to monitor boost and check cel lights among other things. It comes preloaded with maps for different stages, but is just what ki have used on all my cars as there are other options. U can then take it to a good tuner and get a map made on a dyno for ur car and mods which will make more power. Adding a downpipe to that will put u at the lowest version of stg 2. Bear in mind all mods could void ur warrenty. Fars as the tranny goes, as said above applies. Launching the car with high revs and a mix of feathering the clutch while still letting it out quick is the only way I know to get ur fastest start. Doing this consistantly will wear the clutch out quicker and put stress on the tranny among other things. I do it every so often, but its not being nice to it and when u have more power than stock the risk increases. My understanding is too much power say 400whp is likely to break the tranny. We'll find out in time just how much they can hold on these yrs, but people need to mod and get there first.