2004 vs. 2007 wrx/wrx sti questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 vs. 2007 wrx/wrx sti questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Few questions about the wrx. First off is there much of a weight difference between the wagon and the sedan? ...

2004 vs. 2007 wrx/wrx sti questions

Few questions about the wrx. First off is there much of a weight difference between the wagon and the sedan? leaning towards the sedan but the extra space might come in handy... also i'm in love with reliability. that being said should is it a good idea to look for a 2004ish wrx? Or should i cough up the money for say a 2007 or so? i'm a college student and plan on doing some commuting and i was wondering if the differences in maintenance/gas is a huge difference between the wrx and wrx sti. Thanks for the help really appreciate it! Sorry for being such a newbie.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by killinit
    Few questions about the wrx. First off is there much of a weight difference between the wagon and the sedan?
    Minimal. The difference is less than 100lbs.

also i'm in love with reliability. that being said should is it a good idea to look for a 2004ish wrx? Or should i cough up the money for say a 2007 or so?
    Older cars tend to have more issues than newer ones; more owners, more miles, etc.

Not to say older WRXs are unreliable, but there's more chances for things to go wrong.

i'm a college student and plan on doing some commuting and i was wondering if the differences in maintenance/gas is a huge difference between the wrx and wrx sti. Thanks for the help really appreciate it! Sorry for being such a newbie.
    In college, I'd recommend the WRX. The money you'd save from purchase price, maintenance, gas, and insurance differences would probably be better spent reducing the amount of student debt you have when you graduate or doing social events.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

what are the differences you would estimate in a year of driving between the wrx and sti maintenance? because i've read that the gas differences is minimal... i could be very wrong. please correct me if so. and the insurance prices are the same where i'm from woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by killinit View Post
    what are the differences you would estimate in a year of driving between the wrx and sti maintenance? because i've read that the gas differences is minimal... i could be very wrong. please correct me if so. and the insurance prices are the same where i'm from woohoo!
    This could be different as well, depending on what year.

Both need premium gas, both use similar oil and should be changed every 3000-3500 miles, both need the maintenance at 30k, 60k, 90k, and so on...brakes will be much more expensive on an STI because of the Brembos, but there are always aftermarket options to balance that out if you know what you are looking for. Cars getting towards 90-100k will need Timing belts replaced...

Cost of tires may be different for an older model with 16 inch wheels as opposed to newer models with 17 wheels...

brakes on 06-07 WRXs may be more expensive as well because they have the Subaru 4-pots/2-pot setup as opposed to just basic disc brakes.

But they really are similar cars in the sense of maintenance...anyone else have anything to add for maintenance?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2007 STI, chance of the Rear Diff being ****ed? I know my dad's '06 had a COSTLY repair for that puppy. And the STI burns through gas a little quicker, but not a huge savings per month if you go with the Rex.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

sti: MUCH more than the difference in price worth of improvements. Unfortunately, people are more likely to have ragged on an sti - it's a lot easier to find a clean, unmodded, well-driven wrx.

Besides, until 08, the sti was sedan-only. If you even have the slightest inkling that a wagon might be nice, believe me - you'll wish that you had gotten the wagon.

As long as the hawkeyes don't offend you too much ( :P ), pick up a nice 06/07 wagon - you can afford it, and those years had the 2.5.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Vez
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Older cars tend to have more issues than newer ones; more owners, more miles, etc.

Not to say older WRXs are unreliable, but there's more chances for things to go wrong.
    +1

Routine maintenance should be about the same. The parts used for upkeep should be the same between the two cars. However, if you plan on doing upgrades or the car needs major repairs, this is where a cost difference will be realized.

As for the STI not being as fuel efficient, this is more a result of the driver and the way the car is driven rather than the mechanical differences between the two vehicles. After my mods, and if I drive normally through a tank of gas, I get 21/30.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItRoar View Post
    2007 STI, chance of the Rear Diff being ****ed? I know my dad's '06 had a COSTLY repair for that puppy. And the STI burns through gas a little quicker, but not a huge savings per month if you go with the Rex.
    Eh...that is more likely an isolated incident. The entire drivetrain of STIs are relatively bulletproof, including the rear diff.

Only real shortcoming of 2007 STIs is the stock tune of the ECU. It has a real bad lean spot in the beginning of the powerband. Over time, this could cause pistons to shatter in the block. Subaru offers a reflash of the factory tune to correct this.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    sti: MUCH more than the difference in price worth of improvements. Unfortunately, people are more likely to have ragged on an sti - it's a lot easier to find a clean, unmodded, well-driven wrx.

Besides, until 08, the sti was sedan-only. If you even have the slightest inkling that a wagon might be nice, believe me - you'll wish that you had gotten the wagon.

As long as the hawkeyes don't offend you too much ( :P ), pick up a nice 06/07 wagon - you can afford it, and those years had the 2.5.
    Why is it that i will regret not buying a wagon? How big is the back? i owned an old legacy and travelled for 2 weeks in that thing(on a blown headgasket) and i slept in the back and i could almost get a full stretch out of it, if i put the seats down and i'm like 6'1. is that possible in the wrx wagon? cause that would be a selling point.
    i'm leaning towards a 2007 wrx right now because you can get them with low mileage and hopefully cheap =) and reliable
    whats the most i should be paying for one you think? completely stock that is. no modds.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.