New WRX Owner, question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner, question. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yesterday I got a new 2011 WRX premium sedan in Spark Silver, I wanted black but California only had 8 ...

New WRX Owner, question.

Yesterday I got a new 2011 WRX premium sedan in Spark Silver, I wanted black but California only had 8 in the whole state and none were black and I didn't want to wait 6 weeks so I took it. I traded in my previous car, a 2006 C6 Vette as I needed something with 4 doors but still wanted something quick, BMWs are just insanely overpriced so this lead me to the jack of all trades WRX. I was doing some 0-60 runs to compare to my Vette - My question is, when I take off in 1st gear and shift to 2nd and floor it I'll hear like a bang in the back end, I have no idea what it is and no idea if it is normal as I've never heard that in ANY vehicle, is this normal for the WRX? something to do with AWD ? thanks.

This is my first turbo vehicle, it's pretty odd as the vette was just nonstop brutal acceleration all the way through and the WRX is quick in 1st gear but then when you shift to 2nd it's slow until the turbo kicks... quite a difference

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you shouldnt be doing full boost 0-60 runs in the brand new car until the breakin period is over as per your vehicle manual. keep it under 4k rmp until you hit 1000 miles

as far as the thunk, its just the drivetrain. it happens in all subarus. its normal.

if you shift out of 1st near the redline (after you break your car in) then you will be at about 4k rmp in 2nd, which is right in the meat of the boost, so you shouldnt really feel a lot of lag. its a very different car from your vette, it will take some getting used to.

unfortunately, while i would normally be happy just going 0-60, i end up usually doing 0-80+. not good for my future driving record.

congrats on the purchase. i wanted satin white pearl when i bought my car, but all the had at that point in the limited hatch was spark silver metallic and obsidian black pearl in calfifornia. oh well, i still love the car regardless, im sure you will too!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like the rear driveline thumping when you shift forcefully. They will tend to do that. There are kits for the earlier cars at least that will prevent it or minimize it but add some NVH.

Still... don't do that. Break the car in as per the manual first, then as you get used to it, you may see it's more productive to give it full throttle only after the next gear has been fully engaged and the driveline is "settled."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright guys, thanks... I know I should let it break in, but it's just too temping! It has 34 miles on it now, I'll just take it easy

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Check it out...

Just picked up my 2011 and like my 2003 that I traded in with over 120000 miles, no issues and lots of 0 to 60 runs that I started on day one.... lawyers want you to break a car in...

thx

why would you trust what some jackoff gearhead says with a brand new almost $30k car?

What is the problem with following what the manual states is recommended for the breakin? every thread usually ends up with someone posting that retarded link and claiming they have "no problems" driving the hell out of their car right out of the gate. is that guy a subaru mechanic or engineer? did he write the manual?

PLEASE
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

these cars having timing belts right? the salesman said the turbos have a timing chain, which I was ecstatic about but I'm pretty sure it's a belt

I believe the new '11 Forester has a timing chain now. None of the other models...yet.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Welcome and congrats on the new purchase, my next purchase will be the blck 11 sedan, ohh soo sexy!!

trust the engineers that are 100000 times smarter than that dude testing snowmobiles
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

Question: Are you turning off your Vehicle Dynamics Control before doing the 0-60s?

I'll echo the statement of previous posters to keep things under 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles. Personally I just got my car yesterday, I have 120 miles on it and I am aching to rev it up but I'm being a good boy... much to the chagrin of my friends. After 1k though, I'm changing the oil and having fun.

But back to the VDC. There is a button on your dash below your instrument light adjustment control and above your truck release. This button will disable your VDC and you should see a little light on your instrument panel light light up that looks like a car with squiggly lines behind it.

The the VDC actively works to stop wheel spin and keep the car behaving nicely. This is kind of the opposite of what you want for your 0-60 runs. I don't know if it will stop the sound you are hearing, but it will increase your acceleration times!
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

Syncharmony - thanks, I'll try it out. I'm sketchy about turning off traction control, that's how I put my C6 through a fence lol

Turning off traction control in an AWD car isn't as drastic as in a RWD. And especially with Subarus symmetrical AWD where power is evenly distributed. You would probably only really notice if you took a turn real fast so if you're just launching you should be just fine.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    I'll echo the statement of previous posters to keep things under 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles. Personally I just got my car yesterday, I have 120 miles on it and I am aching to rev it up but I'm being a good boy... much to the chagrin of my friends. After 1k though, I'm changing the oil and having fun.
    Why change the oil after first 1000 miles? I have looked through the manuals that were given to me and no where do I see to change the oil after 1000 miles. I have heard a lot of people doing it though and it makes me wonder if I should do it too. I currenlty have just over 500 miles on mine!

Oh how I have loved this car!
    -Mitigate

some believe that an oil change is good after the break-in period to ensure that there are no metal shavings or particles in the oil. however, that is what an oil filter is for. again, if the manual doesnt say it, i dont really think you need to do it.

but, i guess you cant really change your oil too much.

here is where we que up the synthetic vs dyno debate also right?
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast