New WRX Owner, question. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner, question. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by dbya rx some believe that an oil change is good after the break-in period to ensure that ...

7n7
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    some believe that an oil change is good after the break-in period to ensure that there are no metal shavings or particles in the oil. however, that is what an oil filter is for. again, if the manual doesnt say it, i dont really think you need to do it.

but, i guess you cant really change your oil too much.

here is where we que up the synthetic vs dyno debate also right?
    Yeah i got mine changed out after 1500 miles and my salesman was like....why.

Simply put, better safe than sorry and it won't hurt anything having fresh oil in
    2011 DGM Premium WRX 5 door

-Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 7n7 View Post
    Yeah i got mine changed out after 1500 miles and my salesman was like....why.

Simply put, better safe than sorry and it won't hurt anything having fresh oil in
    Fair enough! The only reason I asked is I am a complete noob when it comes to cars. My buddy drove a WRX and it was hella fun to drive.

Now that i was financially able to purchase a new car i thought why not. I have come to this forum to get help and ask questions to those who I assume know about these types of cars. I want to protect my car.
    -Mitigate

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    why would you trust what some jackoff gearhead says with a brand new almost $30k car?

What is the problem with following what the manual states is recommended for the breakin? every thread usually ends up with someone posting that retarded link and claiming they have "no problems" driving the hell out of their car right out of the gate. is that guy a subaru mechanic or engineer? did he write the manual?

PLEASE
    Just to help us all understand the importance of following the manual I would like to quote my 2011 owners manual and remember to please make sure to follow the recomendations of those brilliant engineers... Page 8... "Your vehicle should not be modified other than with the genuine Subaru parts and accessories. Others could...damange..."

Kiddies make sure you follow your user manuals to a tee or you could hurt your car.....

Look I agree take it slow and easy but I also think for the first 100 or so miles, what was helpful in that link is the importance of running hard only when the engine is at operating temp.. this is a forum and we all have are opinions to share.... Sorry for posting the "retarded" link.

Have fun with the new car I'm on my second and loven every second of it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pixmap1969 View Post
    Just to help us all understand the importance of following the manual I would like to quote my 2011 owners manual and remember to please make sure to follow the recomendations of those brilliant engineers... Page 8... "Your vehicle should not be modified other than with the genuine Subaru parts and accessories. Others could...damange..."

Kiddies make sure you follow your user manuals to a tee or you could hurt your car.....
    I think you assume engineers wrote that exclusively. Just like any business, it's also tweaked by lawyers. That statement is there purely to remove themselves of responsibility from problems that result from modifying the car. So when someone mods the car and goes crying to the courts they can basically just say they told you so.

Quote Originally Posted by vairox View Post
    This is my first turbo vehicle, it's pretty odd as the vette was just nonstop brutal acceleration all the way through and the WRX is quick in 1st gear but then when you shift to 2nd it's slow until the turbo kicks... quite a difference
    What you described was user error when shifting. And as a result you caused the entire drive train to slow to the point the car is no longer in boost. That said, if you shift correctly you will not have a slow second gear, and it will continue to pull well through the gears.

And when you get out of the break in period I'd recommend not putting the car through the paces until it has reached proper operating temperatures.

Good choice on the silver... I live in Canada and made the mistake of buying a black soob... oh man, what a mess and a challenge to keep clean with the road salt and winter driving....

I just traded my '05 vette in for an '11 STI - I am super satisfied - it is a fantastic car and you'll have a lot of fun with it. As far as the thunk - with some practice you'll learn the car and shift more smoothly. As far as break in - I'd say trust the manual. It is hard to do, I would say I was not perfect, but do your best to follow the rules and I am sure you'll have the car a long time. Do something else and it is a risk to the longivity of the car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12