New WRX Owner

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings All, My name is Damien. I just bought a 2002 World Rally Blue WRX wagon. I wanted one since ...

New WRX Owner

Greetings All,

My name is Damien. I just bought a 2002 World Rally Blue WRX wagon. I wanted one since they started (finally) being offered here in the states, so I started saving, and finally found a used one that hadn't been beaten into the ground for a good price.

It has high mileage (136,000), but is a single owner vehicle with all maintenance being performed by the dealership and is still 100% stock. The only "mods" are yokohama tires instead of the factory ones. Interior / exterior are like 9.5 out of 10. It has a new clutch, battery and a few other things here and there, and compression / leak down check came back good.

I already have some parts on the way (Grimmspeed uppipe, Megan downpipe, Greddy Evo II catback, Cobb apv2) and am anxious to get things going. At first it seemed so fast compared to my old car, but I got used to it quickly... damn addictive acceleration...

I had a Countour SVT before this, and comparatively the handling on the subaru is lacking (I blame the 16" wheels and balloon tires), so my next task after stage 2 is going to be whiteline front and rear anti sways (wagon approriate ones of course) perrin or whiteline end links, and some kind of lowering springs / shocks adn larger wheels/tires (are 18" too big?). I have read that coilovers are superior, but I don't like the idea of having to rebuild them every year. Is this true?

Well sorry for rambling on and on, but the point is to say "hi" to everyone and introduce myself. I see there are some other people in the central florida area, so maybe I can actually meet some other WRX / STI owners. The contour forums were friendly enough, but no one ever met up or did anything. Any subaru meets planned? (just found the regional sections...)
    Last edited by Damien; 11-29-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: i like to

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!
    Thank you for doing the research and following the proper mod paths!

18"s are a little big. Many people (including my self) prefer 17"s. However, even at 16" proper ZR rated tires can handle very well.

Will you be tracking the car? If not, coil overs are likely overkill.

Hi.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Thanks for the welcomes! I don't plan on tracking the car (maybe once to see what it's like after I get the handling under control), so I will likely pass on the coilovers. Thanks for the advice!