2002 wrx boost problem or turbo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx boost problem or turbo within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So this is whats going on with my wrx. My radiator busted and i had to replace it. Now when ...

2002 wrx boost problem or turbo

So this is whats going on with my wrx. My radiator busted and i had to replace it. Now when I down shift to boost up so i can go faster. My rpm needle would just jump to the redline and i would have to realest my gas so i don't brake my car i don't feel any turbo boost or any thing it would just reeve up to the redline I hear it but i don't feel it moving. I can also hear my blowoff valve go off after I released my gas pedal. I really don't know whats wrong with my car my is it the turbo or my blowoff valve? please someone help its my first turbo car and I love it to death.This is my first time here so I"m a nobody sorry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if your letting the clutch out and the motor is free revving like its in neutral then maybe your clutch is almost toast. either from age or abuse. how many miles are on the car? ever had the clutch replaced?

im assuming since your downshifting when this happens that you can get the car moving without any slipping?

and try this when your cruising at speed. put the car in 4th or 5th gear and punch it. if the car reves way up almost like its not in gear then id say its possibly time for a new clutch.

any extra info you could give would def help with the E-diagnosis.

good luck!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    time for a new clutch!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks guys for the help. so what would be a good clutch kit for my 02 wrx?
    I got this car from a dealer the mileage was only 58000 now its like 61000+. It was driving well till a week ago when I had to change my radiator. I really don't know when the last owner changed the clutch on the car all i know it has some after market parts like hks blow off valve, ame cold air filter, headers and, downpipes. Any ways That's when I felt the slipping: 1
    2 3 feels ok its slightly off but works. Then when you hit 4 and 5 that when you really can tell its slipping.
    Morelman What you said is exactly whats going on when I down shift from 5th to 4th and press the gas down it reves up way to high and if I up sift and try to do the exact same thing it would reve to high.
    Last edited by vmanFwrx; 11-26-2010 at 02:44 PM.

id say google is your friend in this case. lol

but in all seriousness from what ive heard (anyone with more bugeye experience feel free to chime in) if your still running the stock turbo even at stg2 then your best bet is a factory clutch assembly. the stock clutch can easily handle the power and a stronger aftermarket one will only increase the shock on the drivetrain if/when you ever launch your car. this of course coupled with the 02's supposed "glass tranny" might be a recipe for disaster.

but if you drive responsibly and are possibly planning a bigger turbo now would be the time for an upgrade though.

Wrong title for this post it should be 02 wrx clutch kit.

Thanks for the help ones a gain i will search up a good clutch kit for my car or just go with the oem. Other opinion would greatly help me with my decision on witch clutch i should get. Stage two or go with the original clutch. I also want to up grade turbo after clutch but I need the clutch first ill post updates on my car on what clutch I get and what turbo I will buy next. This is going to be my first build for a wrx thanks and i love this site.

ACT clutch kit

Is ACT a good clutch for wrx? I'm thinking of getting one but don't know if its a good Clutch Help!!! So if anybody knows what a good clutch would be for my car please do tell.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Morelman View Post
    but in all seriousness from what ive heard (anyone with more bugeye experience feel free to chime in) if your still running the stock turbo even at stg2 then your best bet is a factory clutch assembly. the stock clutch can easily handle the power and a stronger aftermarket one will only increase the shock on the drivetrain if/when you ever launch your car. this of course coupled with the 02's supposed "glass tranny" might be a recipe for disaster.
    Yes, you will want to use the stock clutch for anything south of 260 awhp (or thereabouts). Even up to 300 awhp, some recommend the stock clutch. Logic: it's cheaper to replace the clutch than the transmission.

Facebook me here

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The ACT street disk setup is a nice one, but not even remotely needed in your case.

Stick with the stocker.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

How about changing the flywheel to a lighter flywheel with a stock clutch? Im going to change the clutch mite as well but do you think it will make any diff on my car? thanks for your help guys.

NVM i was reading a form (Flywheel Reviews) and i think ill stick with my oem flywheel and clutch.

I got a question what if a get a 16g turbo upgrade for my car what els will i need to complete my set up?
    Last edited by vmanFwrx; 11-28-2010 at 01:55 AM.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by vmanFwrx View Post
    NVM i was reading a form (Flywheel Reviews) and i think ill stick with my oem flywheel and clutch.
    Good idea. Lightweight flywheels are known to cause phantom misfire CELs in bugeyes.

I got a question what if a get a 16g turbo upgrade for my car what els will i need to complete my set up?
    You will need 550+ cc injectors, a larger TMIC, and a larger fuel pump. If you are stock, you will also need some form of engine management and a good tune. You will also need to consider supporting mods... brakes, suspension, and driveline. Consider the possibility of replacing the bottom-end eventually.

Most importantly, read the stickies!

EDIT:
    Don't forget to get a compression/leakdown test performed before you slap any mods on the car.....
    Last edited by zax; 11-28-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Facebook me here

my new clutch oem

So I got my new clutch in and I can't wait to install it. Here is some pix sorry for the quality its from my cell phone

600+ clutch

soo i took my wrx to the shop today for a new clutch install man 600 + jut to get it installed i would do it my self but its a ***** and i don't have the time.
    Time is short days go by way to fast so live up and drive fast so you can catch up with old man time

soo i took my wrx to the shop today for a new clutch install man 600 + jut to get it installed i would do it my self but its a ***** and i don't have the time.
    Yea i paid 500 and that was from someone i know!! I can't see the pics on my work comp but you did get a factory flywheel right? or at least one with the same weight? As someone mentioned, CEL are a given (misfire and/or Crank Position sensor) and a big pain in the butt.
    NYCE1S.com
    www.Nyce1s.com
    Follow us on our Facebook fan page:Nyce1s.com
    Follow us on Twitter:@Rwnyce1s & @Nyce1s

92' Bubble with K20 swap.Tuned by Yosolo with KPRO
    02' WRX with basic bolt-ons(for now)

[QUOTE=vmanFwrx;2695121]How about changing the flywheel to a lighter flywheel with a stock clutch? Im going to change the clutch mite as well but do you think it will make any diff on my car? thanks for your help guys.

QUOTE]

sorry, didnt see this
    NYCE1S.com
    www.Nyce1s.com
    Follow us on our Facebook fan page:Nyce1s.com
    Follow us on Twitter:@Rwnyce1s & @Nyce1s

92' Bubble with K20 swap.Tuned by Yosolo with KPRO
    02' WRX with basic bolt-ons(for now)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.