Miata owner, soon to be proud WRX owner.

This is a discussion on Miata owner, soon to be proud WRX owner. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hows it going. Figured I'd intro myself before beginning to lurk through all the threads picking up as much info ...

Miata owner, soon to be proud WRX owner.

Hows it going. Figured I'd intro myself before beginning to lurk through all the threads picking up as much info as possible. My name is Joe. I live in So Cal and currently drive a 91 Miata. Going to be looking into picking up my first Subaru tomorrow after work. 2003 WRX. I have always loved Subarus but until now have never been able to afford one. This car will be a big first for me, as it will be my first boxer engine, first turbo engine, and first awd car. Will probably not be doing much to the car, other than finding a good catback exhaust and possibly adding an SSQV since i have a few buddies with turbo'd cars (VW GTI and Toyota Supra) that love those BOVs, and finding a good shock/spring combo.

BTW, please try to refrain from making fun of the fact that i own a miata. Yeah, its a gay car. Yeah, its almost as slow as a honda civic. But it has been a great, reliable daily driver for over a year now and takes the beating without complaint every weekend when I go out to the twisties on the weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome Joe.

The Miata is a very capable car and IMO it's absolutely brilliant. Let's try to keep sexuality out of it.

Congrats on the 2003. I think you will like it very much. I would avoid the use of any BOV on the car though. If you would like some links with car info, follow the link in my signature.

Enjoy the site.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Welcome Joe.

The Miata is a very capable car and IMO it's absolutely brilliant. Let's try to keep sexuality out of it.

Congrats on the 2003. I think you will like it very much. I would avoid the use of any BOV on the car though. If you would like some links with car info, follow the link in my signature.

Enjoy the site.
    Im still kinda iffy on the BOV because its just an attention grabber, and I don't like the cops paying any more attention to me on the road than they already do. My main worry is the car running rich between gears because i'd be dumping metered air. No bueno for the cat.

As far as the miata goes. Its a really fun car, most fun you can have in anything with less than 120 bhp, but I came into that after owning a MK3 Supra, and I miss having a car that can accelerate to 60 in under 9 seconds.

The only real debate I have going on right now in my head is whether or not to keep the miata since it has been a bit of a money pit lately, or keep it as backup or selling it and maybe getting a small truck as a backup/parts getter.

I Support ClubWRX
    I do not feel a BOV is worth the hassle or potential to have the car run funny. I do really like having a daily driver or second car, it costs money to run but takes away some stress because at least one car is running at any time .
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome.

if you want pshhh noises, do an intake silencer delete. it wont be as loud as a BOV but it will still make a distinct wooshing/pshhhing sound.

http://www.scoobymods.com/intake-sil...=&threadid=113

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

The Miata may not be a fast car in a straight line, but when you have one that's properly setup and whoop guys with 2-3X the power you have on an Auto-X course, they tend to eat their words
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the welcomes and the link. First one I looked at was really hammered and they were refusing to drop the price at all considering all the paint damage and the rear windows not rolling down. Got a black '02 wagon that I'm gonna look at tomorrow. Completely stock supposedly, and I am a fan of the bug-eye wagon more-so than any other wagon.

Just picked up my new-to-me Black 2004 WRX. 93K on the clock and only mod is an AEM cold air intake.

And so it begins.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats =).

You'll have to let us know some initial thoughts after you drive it for a bit. You'll have to find somebody who knows their intakes, but some intakes will cause the cars to run a bit rough without a tune. Regardless, should be a good car for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Congrats on the pickup!

Post up some pics!

AEMs aren't terrible, but they've been known to have some occasional issues, especially for the full CAIs as opposed to the SRIs.

But check it out, and if its been driving alright, then no harm-no foul. You're on the right track and sounds like you've done some research on second-guessing the BOV. They just aren't necessary and as Dez said, the Silencer delete should be good enough for a little aggressive bypass sound
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Congrats. Enjoy the car.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)