should i sell or MOD my wrx

This is a discussion on should i sell or MOD my wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i've had my 07 wrx tr for a little over a year and love it.. i bought it with 18k ...

Question should i sell or MOD my wrx

i've had my 07 wrx tr for a little over a year and love it.. i bought it with 18k and am a little over 43k now.. im finally comfortable up / down shifting and just enjoy driving the car.. im starting to condsider power mods and was offered a greddy TBE with DP for $600 from a friend..

ive recently been thinking i should have bought an STI instead of the WRX, but a year ago i didn't want to spend the extra cash..

my question is, should i consider selling my 07 wrx and looking for an 06 - 07 STI? or should i save the extra money and just slowly start to mod my wrx?

my car is used solely as a DD so is it worth the extra $10K for the sti to get the brake, turbo, and suspension upgrades, as well as the upgraded interior?

thanks for your suggestions..
    07 wrx tr.. i finally got one
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What do you want? Do you plan on going crazy with the mods? I have a TR...I wish I would have waited and got an STi because right now I am at the point in modding where I really can't do much more power wise because I am all ready risking my tranny and engine....

Plus the amount of money I put into my WRX......if I would have put that same amount into an STi I would have a crap load of more power....oh well! It is what it is!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see the point in wasting more money if it's just going to be a DD, but it's your car, your decision. My car serves two purposes, and I would have been better off with an STi, but I was in the same situation, didn't want to spend the extra cash, and looking back on it, it's good I didn't at that time.

I'm moving on to other projects soon though, so the WRX is fine and dandy for occasional Autox and DD use, and it will likely not receive any more power mods, just suspension. I'm looking elsewhere for power, because in reality, Subarus are lost causes there unless you're willing to spend a **** ton of money on it, which I'm not. I find the money is better spent elsewhere.

That's just me though, do what fits your goals and wants best.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    What do you want? Do you plan on going crazy with the mods? I have a TR...I wish I would have waited and got an STi because right now I am at the point in modding where I really can't do much more power wise because I am all ready risking my tranny and engine....

Plus the amount of money I put into my WRX......if I would have put that same amount into an STi I would have a crap load of more power....oh well! It is what it is!

what have you done to your tr thats causing you to risk your tranny and engine?

wouldn't a tune help avoid these problems or only until a certain point
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

Quote Originally Posted by ragz-REX View Post
    what have you done to your tr thats causing you to risk your tranny and engine?

wouldn't a tune help avoid these problems or only until a certain point
    Well any kind of power gain is going to be rough on the tranny/engine since they were not made to have as much power as my WRX. I am pretty sure I have nearly 100whp over what they come with stock at least on the dyno that I go to...not to mention the 333wtq that I have...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    I've got an 06 TR. I didn't want to spend the extra $10k on the Sti either. I hate the blue interior stripe. So when the 2008 hatch came out I almost got one, but it was the wife's turn for a car. In any event I did about $2000 in mods and have been completely happy ever since.

I still wouldn't mind a 2008+ hatch STI, but my WRX is paid off so its not worth the effort. I toy around from time to time with selling it and buying a beater to drive for a few years.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Another thing to consider is if you mod your wrx it going to be worth much less than a stock sti for resale. Some people care about that and some don't.

What about just getting a 2011 wrx?
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by ragz-REX View Post
    i've had my 07 wrx tr for a little over a year and love it.. i bought it with 18k and am a little over 43k now.. im finally comfortable up / down shifting and just enjoy driving the car.. im starting to condsider power mods and was offered a greddy TBE with DP for $600 from a friend..

ive recently been thinking i should have bought an STI instead of the WRX, but a year ago i didn't want to spend the extra cash..

my question is, should i consider selling my 07 wrx and looking for an 06 - 07 STI? or should i save the extra money and just slowly start to mod my wrx?

my car is used solely as a DD so is it worth the extra $10K for the sti to get the brake, turbo, and suspension upgrades, as well as the upgraded interior?

thanks for your suggestions..

To me the short answer is no, it would not be worth it to either mod or trade your car. You love your car; you're comfortable driving it, and it's currently dependable. It already outperforms 90% of the vehicles on the road, and any additional power you can get from it won't be of much use in the real world.

Trading for a used STi is buying a pig in the poke unless you know, really know, the car and original owner. Has it been modded, rodded and beat to death? How dependable will it be? And what are you planning on doing with the car that you can't do with your current car?

To be fair, I'm not criticizing the folks who dump tons of money and time into modding their cars. It's their hobby, and more power to them (no pun intended). If it's your hobby...go for it. But, like most hobbies, the money spent is gone forever.

A car is essentially a money pit, don't expect to get all the money you spent on it back when you decide to sell it. As long as you understand that, it's all about wether you're willing to accept that or not. Then you'll know your decision. I went with a wrx because it's lower payments and lower insurance cost, mod it to have a bit more pull for regular driving then switch out the sub-par supension bits so it can handle better, and you got yourself a winner DD with lower total cost...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Another thing to consider is if you mod your wrx it going to be worth much less than a stock sti for resale. Some people care about that and some don't.

What about just getting a 2011 wrx?
    i don't like the body style of the new sedan wrx and even though i do really like the 5 door, i like the old sedan body style sooo much more.. if i bought a brand new subaru it would be a 5 door STI..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

Quote Originally Posted by monchis View Post
    A car is essentially a money pit, don't expect to get all the money you spent on it back when you decide to sell it. As long as you understand that, it's all about wether you're willing to accept that or not. Then you'll know your decision. I went with a wrx because it's lower payments and lower insurance cost, mod it to have a bit more pull for regular driving then switch out the sub-par supension bits so it can handle better, and you got yourself a winner DD with lower total cost...IMO

thats basically what i was thinking.. i was going to try to get a little closer to the 300HP range than the 227 and maybe worry about the suspension later on.. thanks for the input
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

If you're getting a TBE that cheap, I would do that and go stage 2. From what I hear, that would make a great DD. It's essentially what I'm going for, and if I found one that cheap I would've already bought it. After that I would change the shifter bushings and tranny mount, sway bars and maybe strut bars (mine doesn't have even the front top one) better wheels, or even just better tires. And that's it, maybe $1,500 to $2,000 and you got yourself a pretty fun DD. Compare that to $10,000 extra for an STI.

*EDIT* having a HP goal is not too smart IMO. Instead, shoot for an enjoyment factor with your car. Stage 2 prob won't get you 300, but I bet you'll have more than enough "seat of your pants" enjoyment with the car. And it'll be more reliable than having so much HP, things start to break easier when you have that much power.
    Last edited by monchis; 11-26-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monchis View Post
    If you're getting a TBE that cheap, I would do that and go stage 2. From what I hear, that would make a great DD. It's essentially what I'm going for, and if I found one that cheap I would've already bought it. After that I would change the shifter bushings and tranny mount, sway bars and maybe strut bars (mine doesn't have even the front top one) better wheels, or even just better tires. And that's it, maybe $1,500 to $2,000 and you got yourself a pretty fun DD. Compare that to $10,000 extra for an STI.
    it a shame you don't live closer because this greddy exhaust has been in my basement for almost a year and im pretty sure my friend just wants to get rid of it.. lol..

i didn't buy it because im i didn't want to void my warranty by putting it on..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

It all depends on your goal

IMO suspension upgrades are a great place to start, sways, strut/springs, bushings, end links ect. Its somthing that will only assist in performance and have no negative effects unless done incorectly( which is hard to do lol), You will notice the difference immediatly as well, Where most power upgrades( within a price range you have explained) will notice in sound but not til you get really deep will you start to notice off the line pull or response.

A full tbe for that price is a good set and will be considerably different sounding car

If you just got comfortable w/ the car and are loving everyminute of it i'm guessing your not takin it to the drag strip or autox. < starting at suspension will only increase your ability and comftrability with the car around thoes lovely corners and assist w/ respose in thoes quick reacting situations,

Yes power is nice as well but always want to be abel to controll that power.. just my .02

Good luck!!