2011 Spark Silver LTD Hatch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 Spark Silver LTD Hatch within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Took delivery Friday on my new WRX 5dr.Spark Silver Limited. Options are, short throw shifter, roof rack, auto-dim mirror, armrest ...

2011 Spark Silver LTD Hatch

Took delivery Friday on my new WRX 5dr.Spark Silver Limited. Options are, short throw shifter, roof rack, auto-dim mirror, armrest extender,rear bumper guard, all weather mats, rear tray. I am an avid skier, and wanted a suitable ski vehicle. I considered the Toyota Rav4 with 270hp V6, but decided I would be happier with something that can handle winter conditions and also be fun to drive the rest of the year.

I test drove Forester, Outback, Outback Sport, and base Impreza also. The difference between the base Impreza and WRX reminds me of my son's first car, Ford Contour SVT. The SVT was as different from a rental car Contour as the WRX is from the base Impreza. Granted 10K more for the difference. Couldn't be happier.

I picked up a set of WS70 Blizzaks on 16" steel rims from Tirerack. I considered mounting snows on the stock rims and picking up aftermarket rims in the Spring. I like the stock rims, and think the 16" wheels/tires with a taller sidewall and narrower footprint are better suited to winter road conditions. I was expecting lug nuts to come with the order. Can the stock nuts be used with the steel wheels? Is it worth getting an extra set to save the stockers from the elements? I'm calling Tirerack tomorrow for their advice.

I opted not to get TPMS sensors on these wheels. It would be nice to have the system operable, but I don't believe it's worth the added expense. The tipping point is having to purchase the tool to recalibrate, or pay a tire dealer or Subaru dealer to do it. I think this system was designed with the average car buyer in mind. One set of wheels, plus who besides enthusiast regularly check their tire pressure? Most people need something to tell them, "Hey, put some air in your tires." The heads up on a tire going down due to damage is nice however. Can we rotate our stock wheels without recalibration? I hope so.

As soon as I get my lug nut question answered.....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. We'll see if I can live with the warning light. The painters tape + electrical tape mod may be in my future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WRX 001.jpg   WRX 003.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX! Congrats on the new WRX!

The stock lugs will work fine with the steelies.

Thanks, Seattle Jeremy, they'll be on tomorrow. I love this car. My son is sooo jealous. He's 21, and wanted a WRX for his first car. I didn't think 220hp was such a good idea for a first car, though the SVT was close to 200hp, I believe. I was also leery of buying anything modded and or driven hard. Mostly what's available.

I am the kind of person someone looking for a used WRX is looking for. I'm 49, will have all maintenance records, if I do mod at all, it'll be minor, and I don't plan on abusing it....too much.

Maybe my son will end up with it when I'm ready for something else. Problem is, I think I might be satisfied with this car for quite a while! He'll just have to get his own.

I feel like I am looking at myself in this thread....however I don't have the car yet

looking to pick something up soon that can take me up to the mountains on a regular basis.

soon enough.

congrats on your purchase. what made you choose the hatch over the sedan?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    The tipping point is having to purchase the tool to recalibrate, or pay a tire dealer or Subaru dealer to do it.
    Tell me more! I'm facing the same thing once my 2011 Sedan shows up. What actually gets recalibrated? What kind of tool are we talking about? What kind of cost for having the tire dealer do it?

TIA

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Congratulations on the new car! I'm a former SVT Contour owner myself, and always felt that the WRX was the next logical step.

Mind you, I took a slight detour and made a Porsche my daily driver for quite some time, but I just ordered a '11 WRX last month and am looking forward to a practical car once again..

Congrats on the new ride!!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Congrats on the car, where do you do most of your skiing?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Congrats on the new ride! Looking very good. What are thoughts on the roof rack? I'm torn between getting the OEM bars from the dealer, or buying a complete Thule or Yakima set up when my wrx arrives. Any insight would be great

Thanks eveyone, I actually bought the SVT for myself, but my son was starting college and hadn't found a car yet so it became his. I've owned a couple SHO's in the past also. It was cool that it was much rarer than the WRX at the time. I liked it allot, poor mans BMW.

As far as the TPMS is concerned, there are threads dealing with this already. I found them very useful.

I have a Thule rack that I used on previous vehicles, I saw no fit kit available on Thule's website. I figured I'd go with the Subaru base rails and see if I can get an adapter for my ski rack. Thule does make nice stuff, very rugged.

I would have loved a black car, but I think silver is much easier to live with, stone chips, swirl marks. I won't get the same sense of accomplishment detailing it however. Nothing looks better than a clean black car. The SVT was black.

Hey SonicWagon, I live in upstate NY, Binghamton. I do most of my skiing at little hill called Greek Peak, just south of Syracuse. I do hit the Daks and Vermont occasionally. There are a few nice hills in the Poconos too, Windham, Hunter, Platekill. Another little place is south of me in PA, Elk Mountain.

I see you live in NM. I've been out there the last two seasons to ski. I love it. My sister lives in NYC, but is looking to move to Santa Fe. She almost has duel residency now. Two years ago she invited me to come out with her. I've skied Santa Fe, Taos, and Pajarito. Last year I was thinking about traveling from Santa Fe to southern Colorado. I was going to hit Telluride and Wolf Creek. I ended up staying in NM.

I made friends with an older couple my sister knows. The husband hadn't skied in 15yrs. Got him to ski Santa Fe. He can now ski it free since he's 70. He has invited me to stay at his place this year. To top it off, my sister drove a Hyundai that a friend of hers had given her to Santa Fe, and is being kept at the place she normally leases. So I would also have free transportation when I go out.

Plan B is to see if my son can get time off to come with me. He is a darksider,"boarder", but can now board at Taos. If he can come, I'm considering driving the WRX out there. It would be an adventure, and shouldn't be too bad with someone to share the driving. We shall see.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Hey SonicWagon, I live in upstate NY, Binghamton. I do most of my skiing at little hill called Greek Peak, just south of Syracuse. I do hit the Daks and Vermont occasionally. There are a few nice hills in the Poconos too, Windham, Hunter, Platekill. Another little place is south of me in PA, Elk Mountain.

I see you live in NM. I've been out there the last two seasons to ski. I love it. My sister lives in NYC, but is looking to move to Santa Fe. She almost has duel residency now. Two years ago she invited me to come out with her. I've skied Santa Fe, Taos, and Pajarito. Last year I was thinking about traveling from Santa Fe to southern Colorado. I was going to hit Telluride and Wolf Creek. I ended up staying in NM.

I made friends with an older couple my sister knows. The husband hadn't skied in 15yrs. Got him to ski Santa Fe. He can now ski it free since he's 70. He has invited me to stay at his place this year. To top it off, my sister drove a Hyundai that a friend of hers had given her to Santa Fe, and is being kept at the place she normally leases. So I would also have free transportation when I go out.

Plan B is to see if my son can get time off to come with me. He is a darksider,"boarder", but can now board at Taos. If he can come, I'm considering driving the WRX out there. It would be an adventure, and shouldn't be too bad with someone to share the driving. We shall see.

Shoot Me a PM when your out here, I grew up in Cooperstown so Im familiar . I raced in grade school so the team went all over NY, MA, and VT. Allot of my friends wont waste time at santa fe ski basin. But I like the AM half days and going on weekdays after a good snow. plus it warmer than Taos. Im just outside of Espanola north of Santa Fe. living here i get to pick my days and i am a real fair weather skiier.

If you Drive out we can take the High road to Taos you will like that road..
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by RJLII View Post
    Tell me more! I'm facing the same thing once my 2011 Sedan shows up. What actually gets recalibrated? What kind of tool are we talking about? What kind of cost for having the tire dealer do it?

TIA
    The TPMS sensors are calibrated to work with only one receiver (which is under the driver's seat, I believe). The sensors are recognized by the receiver and transmit info to the dash light if the sensors indicate that the pressure is too low.

The sensors (supposedly) require rotation to work, so putting them in a sealed-and-pressurized metal/PVC pipe in the spare tire well does not work.

When people buy a second set of sensors, you have to have the system programmed so that the receiver recognizes that set, not the original set. This service costs between $40-60, typically. Some people have successfully negotiated to have the fee waived at some tire shops or the dealership by either buying the winter tires/wheels/sensors at that shop, by paying for the mount and balance there, or at the dealership by having the service thrown in at the time of purchase.

Legacy owners have bought a second receiver and had it programmed, then have swapped the receiver in and out with the wheels.

Another option (as TPMS become more common) is to buy a complete system from a junkyard. Get the TPMS receiver and all 4 sensors and they should all still be programmed to work together.

OR...

Live with the light.

My light stayed off with the wheels in the back of the car. When I stored them for the Winter, the light came on. I saw someone post that it took 15 miles for theirs to come on. I am assuming I will not have sensor issues with tire rotation. Too bad we don't have the indirect sensing system, which senses changes in rotation due to decreased air pressure, then the system would operate with the snows also.

I purchased the thule single arm bike rack and thule snowboard rack which holds two boards. They are attached to the Subie base mounts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast