The Deep End - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on The Deep End within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; lol, yeah, we are all in the same boat. I just picked up my scooby this week and am cursing ...

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    lol, yeah, we are all in the same boat. I just picked up my scooby this week and am cursing myself everytime I begin in first or shift to second. I am coming from a tiburon V6 5sp whose clutch i loved; however, it ruined me for this one.

as folks are saying, with time comes fluidity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. Glad I'm not the only one. I'm interested in learning more about this automatic revving and will begin my search now.

I'm at 3500 miles in my new 2011 and I'm much smoother than I was when I first got the car. Getting rolling in first isn't much of a problem, usually around 1200-1500 RPM until full engagement. My issue has been the smooth transition between 1st and 2nd.

I've found the only way to make it silky smooth is give it just enough throttle as 2nd is almost fully engaged. You'll feel a tiny little "thrust" forward as you release the clutch fully, but it feels very smooth. 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th are a piece of cake.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    I'm at 3500 miles in my new 2011 and I'm much smoother than I was when I first got the car. Getting rolling in first isn't much of a problem, usually around 1200-1500 RPM until full engagement. My issue has been the smooth transition between 1st and 2nd.

I've found the only way to make it silky smooth is give it just enough throttle as 2nd is almost fully engaged. You'll feel a tiny little "thrust" forward as you release the clutch fully, but it feels very smooth. 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th are a piece of cake.
    yes!!^^^ this is what i have noticed. second is awesome when i connect just right, boost follows soon after engagement

Quote Originally Posted by Seauxthern_dead View Post
    It would help me to know what is an acceptable rev range to be in when you attempt to engage in first. Generally the clutch just seems uncommunicative.
    You want to rev to the minimum required to start the car. Usually, that's between 1000-1500 RPM. I've got the advantage of driving almost strictly manuals since I was 12 years old driving tractors and farm trucks, so I rarely even rev at all. I just keep my foot a little on the gas to keep the revs from dropping when the clutch engages. That's hard to achieve for many people, especially if you're not experienced with a stick. Take your car to an empty dead-end road or a big parking lots, and practice taking off at as low an RPM as you can.

By learning how to shift well, you can save yourself from replacing the most expensive wearable component on your car too soon (the clutch). I've never gotten less than 100k miles out of a clutch, even on high performance cars I drive hard. <pats self on back>
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12