New to the WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay I'll come right out and say I'm a noob when it comes to subbies. I love them to death ...

New to the WRX

Okay I'll come right out and say I'm a noob when it comes to subbies. I love them to death but I don't know a lick about them. I honestly have little interest in them because I have my hands full trying to put a S15 silvia motor into a S13 hatchback for my drift car( I hope I dont get flamed for this and this place isnt some AWD elitist website.) Point I'm trying to make is my girlfriend has always been all about american V8 muscle that is until she got a C4 vette about 4 years ago and its ran for maybe 4 months, well she is ready to sell it and get something fun and she is dead set on getting a WRX, the GD chassis with the 2.0L. Now all that I know about the WRX comes from reading Dsport where they threw a turbo back exhaust and a dyno-jet CMD unit on there and made almost 300hp. If 300hp is my goal for her can it be done with a full exhaust, Dyno-jet CMD unit, intake, a Front mount intercooler and a good tune from a good and well researched tuning shop? Are there any parts drive-line wise that will start breaking around 300hp? she shouldn't be launching it any and shouldn't be beating it too hard, it might see maybe 10 autoX events and track days a year. I just want to get some feed back from some of you guys that know a lot about this subject, thanks guys!
    Last edited by Jacks-s13; 11-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello, see the link in my signature for the info you need. Enjoy the site.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you very much that answers most of my questions, now if the cobb stage 2 tune can give 285hp roughly how can I get that extra 15hp? I read that the intake is good for up to 400hp so I'd just stick to stock and of course I'll get a new up pipe, more than likely a STi up pipe, the cobb stage 2 tune has max boost set it at 16.5 psi, can that be raised to 20 psi to safely reach 300hp? and in all that reading I didn't see anything about problems for 300hp does anyone know if there are any weak links where 300 awhp would be a problem?

Edit: I just read another post about how a Protune on the cobb AP stage 2 is usually good for another 20hp over the stage 2 so with a STi up pipe and a cobb stage 2 package with the turbo back exhaust should be good for 300hp and that should satisfy both her and my goals along with some light suspension work such as coil overs and sway bars and wheels it'll be sweet. Yet the question remains will the driveline hold it up? is there anything I should replace or upgrade?
    Last edited by Jacks-s13; 11-23-2010 at 11:05 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    power is just a number. Why are you so set on 300hp? horsepower-to-the-wheels is what you really should be looking for. A TBE + tune will generally return 225-235 whp on a 2.0L; A TBE + tune will NOT give you 300 awhp ... 300 crank hp does NOT equal 300 whp.

Also, you consider coilovers "light" suspension work??? Coilovers are the end game and really only necessary if you are tracking the car or willing to shell out $2500. To answer a few questions (but please do your research): YES the WRX tranny and rear diff are weaker than they should be, but most of the failures result from incompetent drivers. If you drive your WRX like you drive your Silvia, you will destroy your transmission. If taken care of, the WRX transmission has been able to handle more than 350 wtq, though at that point I would look into an uprated gearset.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well see this is where my ignorance comes through, I know that with a light tune and turbo back exhaust the SR20DET motor can make 300rwhp and handle it fine, I have the S15 motor with the larger T28 ball bearing turbo. The internals can handle up to 400hp at the crank, remember all of this is in the SR20DET. Also remember this car is for my Girlfriend she wants something "fun" and is hung up on a WRX, so she wont be tracking it hard, or dragging it. I've got a S13 that I can beat the hell out of so this car won't see a ton of abuse if any at all. I was shooting for 300awhp it just seemed like a good powerful number but maybe that goal is a little too lofty for what this car will be used for, that would take roughly 345 to 375hp at the crank depending on what percentage you use for drivetrain loss so maybe something like 250hp to 275hp at the wheels is more of a realistic goal for her project. I sometimes do consider Coilovers light suspension because I can throw some megan racing coilovers on there for like $850 and it will have more of a range of tuning over just lowering springs which I have on my chevy cobalt and I regret not getting full coil overs. Also you can get the tein basics for like $900. That and some sway bars is all the suspension this car will need. I've been reading plenty of posts and I've already learned a lot but I just want some opinions from more experienced people as to weather the goals for this project are stupid or not. It sounds like the Drive line is more than able to handle any power she will end up making and possibly I can plan on just an up pipe, cobb stage 2 package, and a pro tune and see what kind of HP that will make at the wheels and see how she(my girlfriend) likes it.
    Last edited by Jacks-s13; 11-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacks-s13 View Post
    Edit: I just read another post about how a Protune on the cobb AP stage 2 is usually good for another 20hp over the stage 2 so with a STi up pipe and a cobb stage 2 package with the turbo back exhaust should be good for 300hp and that should satisfy both her and my goals along with some light suspension work such as coil overs and sway bars and wheels it'll be sweet.
    I would not get coilovers.

Yet the question remains will the driveline hold it up?
    I doubt it.

is there anything I should replace or upgrade?
    No.

Well see this is where my ignorance comes through, I know that with a light tune and turbo back exhaust the SR20DET motor can make 300rwhp and handle it fine, I have the S15 motor with the larger T28 ball bearing turbo. The internals can handle up to 400hp at the crank, remember all of this is in the SR20DET.
    I don't see the relevance, sorry.

Also remember this car is for my Girlfriend she wants something "fun" and is hung up on a WRX, so she wont be tracking it hard, or dragging it. I've got a S13 that I can beat the hell out of so this car won't see a ton of abuse if any at all. I was shooting for 300awhp it just seemed like a good powerful number
    It is not realistic.

so maybe something like 250hp
    Yes.

sometimes do consider Coilovers light suspension because I can throw some megan racing coilovers on there for like $850 and it will have more of a range of tuning over just lowering springs which I have on my chevy cobalt and I regret not getting full coil overs. Also you can get the tein basics for like $900.
    We have no common ground for discussion here, sorry. I don't understand what "range of tuning" means, do not recommend getting what are basically throw-away parts, and do recommend you not settle for coilovers that don't have a TUV stamp if you insist on that route. I'd not do this.

I've been reading plenty of posts and I've already learned a lot but I just want some opinions from more experienced people as to weather the goals for this project are stupid or not.
    The goals do not seem focused or realistic. I'd continue reading other people's experiences or even attend a local meet and see what people use, and whether you think you might like it. No sense in throwing time and money into something before getting a fuller picture.

Examples of IMO decent but entry level coilovers; start here but look upward:
    http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...de=KW-10245002

Examples of good dampers are the Konis, but you will need to DIY the install to mod the tops on the factory strut hardware. Also look at Kayaba, and some say Tokico (I have not had much experience at all with the latter so can't offer 1st person info, sorry). For springs, again look for something with a TUV stamp. To make life simple search for and contact RCE and tell them exactly what use the car will see, and they will likely have a solution for the car (it may not be a solution for you though -- notice I said for the car specifically, as you may not agree or like what they say from the sounds of it).

Look for a shop near you that can map the car once you install the piping of your choice, and talk to them too.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-23-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I sometimes do consider Coilovers light suspension because I can throw some megan racing coilovers on there for like $850 and it will have more of a range of tuning over just lowering springs which I have on my chevy cobalt and I regret not getting full coil overs. Also you can get the tein basics for like $900.
    To be blunt, both of those are absolute ****. In fact, your car will most likely handle better with a good set of springs and struts (+ sways). When you say lowering springs, I don't think you are referring to a good set of springs. Tein s-techs, for example, are not built for handling, only for looks. A good setup would be a good set of struts (like Bilsteins or Konis) and a good set of handling springs (like RCEs). That setup will blow the doors of a ****ty set of Megan coilovers. If you want a true race-bred set of linear coilovers, be prepared to drop $1800-4000 on the set of four. Anything less is not worth a damn.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would not get coilovers.

I doubt it.

No.

I don't see the relevance, sorry.

It is not realistic.

Yes.

We have no common ground for discussion here, sorry. I don't understand what "range of tuning" means, do not recommend getting what are basically throw-away parts, and do recommend you not settle for coilovers that don't have a TUV stamp if you insist on that route. I'd not do this.

The goals do not seem focused or realistic. I'd continue reading other people's experiences or even attend a local meet and see what people use, and whether you think you might like it. No sense in throwing time and money into something before getting a fuller picture.

Examples of IMO decent but entry level coilovers; start here but look upward:
    http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...de=KW-10245002

Examples of good dampers are the Konis, but you will need to DIY the install to mod the tops on the factory strut hardware. Also look at Kayaba, and some say Tokico (I have not had much experience at all with the latter so can't offer 1st person info, sorry). For springs, again look for something with a TUV stamp. To make life simple search for and contact RCE and tell them exactly what use the car will see, and they will likely have a solution for the car (it may not be a solution for you though -- notice I said for the car specifically, as you may not agree or like what they say from the sounds of it).

Look for a shop near you that can map the car once you install the piping of your choice, and talk to them too.
    First I'll start with the coilover comment, the megan racing coilover have a 32 levels of dampening force adjustment and the ability to adjust ride height. Second, with my revised goals of lower crank HP it seems that the drive line will hold up. Third, I was trying to compare the inline 4 SR20DET to the EJ205 and technically they are both 2.0L turbocharged motors so I'd like to think that they might have a few of the same characteristics of course I could be totally wrong. Fourth, yes I now realize 300awhp was way out of proportion for what goals are set for this car. Fifth, yes maybe something closer to like 250 awhp is a lot more attainable. Sixth, maybe just lowering springs wont be a bad idea, but once again this is for my girlfriend who says "I just want something fun and I really really like the WRX". Seventh, your right I'll keep reading and researching so I can get a better idea of what my goals need to be and how we need to go about getting there. I will defiantly contact RCE and talk to them about what I am looking for. Zax I appreciate you being blunt and you are right! I have tein S-techs on my cobalt! although I do like how it made it handle over stock, you honestly cant make that car handle any worse than stock but after having 2 people suggest RCE I will research them right away. I'm gonna have to talk more to my girlfriend and see if I can get a deeper picture of what she wants, she calls my chevy cobalt "fun" and it has S-techs on OEM struts and all of a whopping 100whp maybe. So this isnt gonna be anything "race bred" just a little more than stock. Also Zax how do you like the cobb turbo back and stage 2 tune you have?

zax
    First I'll start with the coilover comment, the megan racing coilover have a 32 levels of dampening force adjustment and the ability to adjust ride height.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1373734
    http://www.amazon.com/Megan-Racing-M...owViewpoints=1

Megan is widely considered garbage. For something as integral as suspension (and for safety concerns), you will never see me go cheap.

Also Zax how do you like the cobb turbo back and stage 2 tune you have?
    Cobb makes a nice product. At a large price point. Coming from a baseline of 170 awhp (stock) to 228 awhp (test car), the power difference is definitely noticeable. The catless UP definitely helps cut down on lag. A pro-tune, however, will be a night-and-day difference over the OTS map that I am running. Cobb claims 228 awhp, but I'd estimate less on my particular car. A pro-tune will blast a stage II 2.0L through the quarter mile in about 13.5 seconds. It will be more than enough fun for your GF.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    First I'll start with the coilover comment, the megan racing coilover have a 32 levels of dampening force adjustment and the ability to adjust ride height.
    My first exposure to them was positive, in that they settled the tail in a 05 STi car that had the typical jar-and-thump going on. However they did not last. The main reason I don't recommend them is because they are rubbish.

Second, with my revised goals of lower crank HP it seems that the drive line will hold up.
    This will depend largely on the history of the car, use patterns then and now, and luck.

Third, I was trying to compare the inline 4 SR20DET to the EJ205 and technically they are both 2.0L turbocharged motors so I'd like to think that they might have a few of the same characteristics of course I could be totally wrong.
    The Subaru motors are similar enough to one another for me to generally state that they respond more, and better, to changes in fueling and timing rather than just changes in air pressure etc. In fact their maps are critical for success.

Fourth, yes I now realize 300awhp was way out of proportion for what goals are set for this car. Fifth, yes maybe something closer to like 250 awhp is a lot more attainable.
    Yes. In fact, the easiest solution is 250 HP at the crank.

Sixth, maybe just lowering springs wont be a bad idea, but once again this is for my girlfriend who says "I just want something fun and I really really like the WRX".
    Perfect, then I think I have a plan I can suggest confidently:

Go for 250 HP at the crank. To achieve this, take all the money you would have spent on parts, plus the money you would have spent on the car, and the money you would have spent on parts the second time around etc, add it up, and buy her a 2.5L WRX instead.

Then do absolutely nothing to it except change the springs and dampers.

Since your friend likes your Cobalt, with 150 hp less and a bumpy ride, it is unlikely you will have to do much more to the 2.5L WRX. They're nice cars, I think you will like them.

Thank you Zax my only dealings with megan are exhaust but I guess exhaust is pretty hard to mess up too bad, but you are right, suspension is something not to mess around with and I will contact RCE and see what solutions they offer maybe like suggested to me some Bilsteins and some RCE springs and sways will be everything needed and also be quality products. As for the up pipe i'd replace that to get rid of the chance of anything getting sucked into the turbo and having less lag will be a huge plus. With cobb maybe I should look into a less expensive turbo back exhaust and just get the access port separate, I also looked into the Dynojet CMD unit which is about $500 compared to the Cobb AP at $600 I'll have to research and see if the dynojet has any real disadvantages against the Cobb AP. Everything I have read so far speaks well of the Dynojet, but Zax I completely agree with you if there is the possibility of a Cobb stage 2 power package on a WRX 2.0L doing even a high 13 on the quarter it'd be more than enough power and "fun" for my girlfriend.

SD_GR: I agree 100% with everything you just said. The 2.5l came in the 2006 and up WRX right? I'll do some research and crunch some numbers and see what I would be the best option for her to go for. 250hp crank seems like a very reasonable goal to shoot for and if its made in a 2.0L or a 2.5L doesn't matter my girlfriend will be happy.

Thank you everyone for the help on this matter I really appreciate it.

zax
    With cobb maybe I should look into a less expensive turbo back exhaust and just get the access port separate, I also looked into the Dynojet CMD unit which is about $500 compared to the Cobb AP at $600 I'll have to research and see if the dynojet has any real disadvantages against the Cobb AP. Everything I have read so far speaks well of the Dynojet
    I will always suggest to forgo the route of AP in favor of a Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable and a protune. Generally, you will be able to purchase these items for the same price as a Cobb AP, albeit with a much higher quality tune. Frankly, any modification "above" (and I use this term loosely) a TBE necessitates a Pro-tune.

Dynojet is a major manufacturer of dynos. I have never heard of anyone utilizing a "Dynojet CMD" EM device -- in fact, I never knew that Dynojet manufactured any EM devices whatsoever. That being said, I would stick with Cobb (given the two) who has specialized in Subaru tuning for many years.

Facebook me here

Dsport did a test and tune on it in a 2004 WRX and got some decent gains, I've searched the dynojet CMD on here and some people seem to think they are very good but yes they have not been in the game as long as cobb. I believe that with an up pipe and full turbo back exhaust a pro tune would help a to bring out the car, Ive read about stock 2010 STIs getting a pro tune and showing gains of like 10-20hp. But i'll talk to my local shop and see what information I can get from them

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.