Words of advise Please! Gonna buy new WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Words of advise Please! Gonna buy new WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everyone! I am a total newbie to subarus and I am planning on buying a new 2011 WRX Premium ...

Words of advise Please! Gonna buy new WRX

Hi Everyone!

I am a total newbie to subarus and I am planning on buying a new 2011 WRX Premium with the all-weather package and a short throw shifter.
    It's WR Blue Mica and a hatchback.

What do you guys think on
    1. How good is the Short THrow Shifter? Does it make a difference? Will I feel awesome with it?

2. How is the Blue Mica? Is it too conspicuous?

3. I've heard the internal noise on the WRX is kind of loud. Is that true? Is it bearable?

4. Overall what's your guys' opinion on the 2011? I'm getting a pretty decent deal I think, about 27K for the premium + the options I mentioned. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The OEM short shifter is good. I test drove one without the SS before purchasing my 2011, the shifter felt pretty sloppy. A lot of people say the kartboy one is better and cheaper. The only thing I forgot to order was the sti bushing set along with it, its suppose to help with that more in the slot feel. I think I'm either going to order the momo or sti leather knob for that weighted feel too. You can't go wrong, and those heated seats in the premium are worth it for me with the weather I've had lately around here in the NW. Hope you get a good price and enjoy!!!
    2011 DGM WRX Limited 5 Door

I didn't see the 27k price, that seems good. I got a ridiculous deal on my limited. I got the limited hatchback with navigation and the short shifter for $29,100 before tax and license. You price that out on the Subaru website and its like 32k something msrp.

Thanks mrwakeboard for your reply. Wow, you got an awesome deal on your WRX!

Does anyone have any other opinions on my other questions? I've been thinking hard about the blue mica.. I really hope it's not too crazy.

The one thing that IS bothering me though is reports of noise in the cab especially with the hatchback.

Please reply guys ! I have just a few days to decide

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I think you will love the car.

As far as the "noise" is concerned. It has the traditional Subaru rumble.... but I wouldn't consider it "noisy" by any stretch of the imagination. It IS a performance car.... keep that in mind.

My advice..... don't pick blue or black though. They look great "now", but will show chips much more in the future.

Silver or white will hold up the best long-term and hide imperfections.

Subaru paint isn't the best. Better than Chrysler and GM..... but not nearly what you'd get from a Lexus or Merc. You will have chips in a year or two.

Ultimately your call though... but I feel 100% confident you'll love the car

First mod - tires.

Quote Originally Posted by finimits View Post
    Hi Everyone!

1. How good is the Short THrow Shifter? Does it make a difference? Will I feel awesome with it?
    My opinion.... is "ehh".

Cool to have I suppose... not nearly as good as some inexpensive aftermarket solutions though. I wouldn't choose the car based on that at all.... nor would I pay "extra" for it either.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 11-23-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Thanks mrwakeboard for your reply. Wow, you got an awesome deal on your WRX!

Does anyone have any other opinions on my other questions? I've been thinking hard about the blue mica.. I really hope it's not too crazy.

The one thing that IS bothering me though is reports of noise in the cab especially with the hatchback.

Please reply guys ! I have just a few days to decide
    I just took drove off the lot in my 2011 WRB Limited hatch. I am super happy that I got the blue. The blue is really sexy and just pops.

As far as the noise goes it isn't bad. Just don't crack up the radio with a heavy bass track.

I am sure you will love the car you order. I too am new to Subaru and to WRX's.
    -Mitigate

Hi Everyone!

I am a total newbie to subarus and I am planning on buying a new 2011 WRX Premium with the all-weather package and a short throw shifter.
    It's WR Blue Mica and a hatchback.

2. How is the Blue Mica? Is it too conspicuous?

3. I've heard the internal noise on the WRX is kind of loud. Is that true? Is it bearable?

4. Overall what's your guys' opinion on the 2011? I'm getting a pretty decent deal I think, about 27K for the premium + the options I mentioned. What do you think?
    I've had my '11 for about 3 months now, my opinion on your questions...

(1) I don't have the short throw shifter and I think the stock feels just fine but I've heard there is a difference. I plan on buying a Kartboy in the near future (cheaper and an easy install).

(2) I struggled with DGM and Blue and finally decided on DGM but it was a hard choice, blue looks great. What sold me on DGM were the wheels, I didn't feel they matched any of the other colors as well as the DGM, but that's pure personal taste.

(3) Cabin/road noise is there, it is an Impreza afterall, but I haven't had any of the rattles that other hatch owners have complained about, guess I'm lucky but I do expect them to appear at some point.

(4) Your deal sounds pretty good, GO FOR IT AND ENJOY!

Wow..Thanks so much guys for all your replies.
    Keep 'em coming!

I have about 1800 miles on my hatch now, I haven't really noticed any annoying/foreign noises yet. I think a large thing to do with the noise is the stock tires, they are great summer tires but I've read a few posts on tirerack that dunlops in general make the cabin noise in any car a little noisier. If you are going to get all season tires, I would suggest the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Every review is pretty much great and says they cut down noise in the cabin.

The one thing I took out immediately was the sliding/retractable device, the part that hides what's in your hatch. It looks nicely built but it rattles against the sides walls way too much!

Just turn that volume dial a little more if anything bugs you. Plus when the turbo kicks in, you won't care =)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.