New subie owner from nissan :X
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New subie owner from nissan :X within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys- I used to drive a 08' Altima Coupe and did a TON of work on it as far ...

New subie owner from nissan :X

Hey guys- I used to drive a 08' Altima Coupe and did a TON of work on it as far as trying to make the car exactly what it wasnt. Im a member of NICO (www.altimacoupe.com) and have gotten a huge new family from there. Met a ton of ppl, and grown new friendships.

As such, I got a killer deal on a white 2008 Subie WRX premium sport wagon. 28k miles for 16k *from a dealership as well* I'll post pics in a jiffy as soon as my cam decides to work lol.

I did have a few questions which i'll post also in the exterior section if there isnt a huge answer- (and plz dont say anything about the 224hp in the 08 compared to the 09, much less the track squishy suspension. Suspension will be upgraded, but i have other issues lol)

the hatch wrx from this year didnt have the wrx badging on the grill, which... w/e lol- i can throw on a badge, no biggie. the bumper is the sporty version, (its fully loaded). and has the STI splitter on it. HOWEVER the bottom of the bumper has 2 cracks in it. i can deal w/ it now, but after winter i want to fix it/replace it. Hence where i'm asking if the newer front bumpers w/ the sti flare design will fit. I understand if i need to get new fenders as well, because of the flare on the bumper, but that is my main goal. the subtle curves are ok, but i want that bumper and fender flare that, in my mind, is the subaru signature. (like sum of u have on ur new 11' wrx's)

i was able to get a sweet car for the same amnt of time from my payments (2 yrs of payments still gone w/ the tradein) and also a lower monthly, which im super happy about. lol

anywho- any help is appreciated, and i hope to become friends w/ a lot of you!

-Daniel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok- as an update- does the front bumper lines even match the wider fenders? plus- the only one's i've even seen on ebay are all seibon- as far as fenders- and the lines of the front bumper, could these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...item3f050cb502

ive had ED stuff on my car before, but curious to what you guys know.

thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXdan
    ive had ED
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^^lol.

First off, welcome.

As far as the widebody style fitting on the 08...I don't think it's plug-n-play. A shop may be able to make it work though but I would call around.

I know that mudflaps that fit the non-wide WRX styles do not fit the 11's. So if 2 simple screw holes in the fender lining no longer line up between the years, I can only imagine the bumper is much different. But both the front bumper and fenders are wider so you're talking about replacing everything up front minus the hood to get the wider look. You can't just do the bumper or just the fenders...it'll look like crap.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

lmao @ the ed quote haha i meant extreme dimensions :P hahaha

ok so i'd assume fender lining would prob be diff too since it'd have to stretch over the wider gap. not a biggie imho- im serious about doing the small conversion, so fenders and bumper.. hmmmm. or i could just grab a set of OEM replacement fenders and fiberglass my heart out. ive had my fair share of fglass and working w/ it on my old-old car. i'd need some sort of mold if i'd do it that way, cus there is no way i'm laying it out 'in air' like ive done before haha. i want stuff to look legit this time around lawl. heres a pic of my coupe and myself lol- i was at my sisters wedding a month ago.

i also bought a aem boost gauge that i'm gna need wired up, i've looked on the forum a bit so we'll see what happens any tips? lol

The most common place to wire gauges is to tap into the clock. All of those clock wires are labelled and super easy to see which ones to use. Search for "remove clock" or something to see how to get at it.

I decided to tap into the wiring near the dimmer switch/fuse box since I was feeding the vacuum hose down that way anyway. There are a few grommets to get the vacuum hose into the engine bay...one to the left of the dead pedal, one behind the brake pedal, and one in the engine bay up higher behind the intercooler.

If you're searching for install how-tos, anything for the GR platform (WRX or STI 2008+) will generally work. Generally.

haha cool. thank you very much

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Congrats on the purchase
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

ok so as an update...

OEM
    left 08 sti fender - 172
    right 08 sti fender - 172

ED
    fender set - 380

left fender liner - 60
    right fender liner - 60
    bumper support brackets - 20 bux

so just for the fenders im lookin around 420-500 (paint im not worried about cus... i haz ppl lol)

thats not too shabby :P and again- i wouldnt do this till spring/summer anyways- but if i see a deal, i'll prob jump on it. esp since i dont want to worry bout painting things in the 20/teen degree weather atm

oh- and bumper cover- either the STI or WRX premium or stock basemodel impreza are all at 194.36

i'm sayin these prices just in case someone else comes across this idea as i do. i like the sporty looking look- not the sleeper look lol. and imho- the wrx has a legacy to uphold :P

btw- the site im using is:
    https://www.subarupartsdepot.com/impreza-wrx-parts.html

if there is something else that the forum uses or sponsors us, lmk

and finally- when... under spirit'ed driving O:-) the end of my 3rd gear chirps like a tiny bird one or 2 times, which im assuming is the stock 'bov' circulation thingie- (i forget what the stock/oem one is called bps?)

would it be smart to get the turboXS rbv that tons of ppl rant and rave about and just deal w/ it as a xmas present to myself?
    and should i go w/ the 50/50 or the full maf return? (not return to atmosphere)

lol sorry if im asking newb questions- but im posting in here cus im curious :P i've also skimmed the first 30 pages in that sticky bov thread, and then started clicking on random pages up to the 500+ mark lol... the thread gets sorta random lol

again- thank u for input
    Last edited by 08WRXdan; 11-22-2010 at 11:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXdan
    would it be smart to get the turboXS rbv that tons of ppl rant and rave about and just deal w/ it as a xmas present to myself?
    and should i go w/ the 50/50 or the full maf return? (not return to atmosphere)
    Your OEM valve isn't the quality that previous MYs were; people are experiencing leaking with minimal modifications. Until the valve becomes a weakpoint, I wouldn't worry about it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXdan View Post
    i like the sporty looking look- not the sleeper look lol. and imho- the wrx has a legacy to uphold :P
    I disagree! I rather enjoy the sleeper aspect of the WRX. The legacy may be in the WRC, but those cars were little more than econoboxes dressed up in sponsor decals! I dislike kitted-out murdered-out hellafllush WRXs with an undying passion! but hey, it's your car lol (not that you've gone as far as the previous statement suggests...)
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Long story short in regards to the blow off valve...don't do it.

Bov's can be troublesome so I would just wait until you think yours is going bad before swapping it out. And definitely recirculate it. Venting to atmosphere is completely unnecessary and you'd have to tune for it and/or do something special to get the MAF to not freak out since it has already counted that air and expects it back. VTA may sound cool but it's going to give you headaches getting it working right.

And I call it a bov even though technically I guess it's a diverter valve.

Search for "bov issues" and see what comes up.

yeah thanks guys i'll hold off on the aftermarket bov, but when its going, i'll deff get the recirculating one.

and i'd rather not deal w/ tuning the car atm. I currently still have my bullydog gt tuner from my alti and the premium tune on the 2.5 QR engine w/ headers was a significant difference, but its too much upkeep hah. mind you the cobb accessport i've heard nothing but good things.

and as far as kitted out, non paint matching vehicles, trust me... theres tons of em around here and it makes me wanna punch babies. another reason i cant stand hondas lol. every car i've done things to was done cleanly and sufficiently. i'll grab a couple other pics of my car and yeah i went a bit more aesthetic, but cmon, the looks of 'wtf was that sick lookin car!" were enough to make me smile. esp wen ppl stare and their heads follow you haha. hence y im wanting to keep the stock look but w/ fender muscles haha.

back to the bov, i've got a boost gauge that should be here today or tomaro so i'll check to see if everything is healthy via some nice monitoring should i be worried about topend of third gear though with the squeaky squeaky? lol it only does it once every now and then but i dont want to chance it, and i guess i would find out more watching it on the gauge... perhaps i'll wait... :P

i hate waiting haha thank you again for the help guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.