How are you perceived in your WRX?
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on How are you perceived in your WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I will get a new car in spring and am extremely interested in the WRX (particularly the 2011s), but afraid ...

How are you perceived in your WRX?

I will get a new car in spring and am extremely interested in the WRX (particularly the 2011s), but afraid I would be giving off an immature and boy racer-esque image. What do people think of you when you pull up in your WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car doesn't make the man. You make the man, I've owned so many cars in the last 12 years, and I am who I am. If anyone looks down upon you because of what you drive that's pure Immaturity.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Why do you care about the opinions of people shallow enough to judge you based on the car you drive?

Drive what you want, life's too short to give a crap about what other people think.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I agree with the others here...a WRX is a great value on the performance you get from it. I wouldn't worry about how you are perceived. Usually when I see someone in a WRX (as long as it doesn't have all kinds of junk bolted and glued on the body lol) I just think "that guy must enjoy driving". That tends to be the types that have a WRX in my opinion.
    2009 WRX Premium Satin White Pearl
    Engine/Transmission mods:
    Stage 2 Cobb AP, STI Short Throw Shifter, STI Shift Knob, Perrin Downpipe, SPT Catback Exhaust, Perrin Shifter Bushings
    Suspension/Wheels mods:
    Perrin 25mm adjustable front swaybar and 22mm adjustable rear swaybar, Perrin front and rear endlinks

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Your car doesn't make the man. You make the man, I've owned so many cars in the last 12 years, and I am who I am. If anyone looks down upon you because of what you drive that's pure Immaturity.
    +1
    Anyone worth their salt will make their determination based on you, not you're ride.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I agree with the above posts. I'm 30 and I don't feel like its boy racer enough to be thrown into that mix. Tasteful mods and not driving like a jerk will keep you from that crowd. I get compliments on my 11 all the time from all age groups. I went with the hatch and got the limited. Going with leather and the navigation, it actually makes it a little more balanced between youth and wanting to grow up a bit. It's all about how you feel driving to your boring job, and it feels great =).
    2011 DGM WRX Limited 5 Door

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed on all accounts. I work with a guy who repeatedly calls me "gay" for driving a Subaru. He says that "real men drive trucks and SUVs." It doesn't bother me, I like a good truck but I absolutely enjoy driving a small, nimble car. It's too bad for him, he will never understand...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Real men drive manuals not automatic SUV's plowing down the road! The only up to date truck that is going to make me feel a little weak at the knees is the Raptor!! To each their own, but we know what's going to put a smile on our face!!
    2011 DGM WRX Limited 5 Door

I agree that it's not so much the car, but rather the person driving. Unfortunately that is not always the case especially where I currently live and go to school. From my experience, I know I have been treated different based on the car I drive. No gaudy mods for sure lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I find it funny to hear people who drive big lifted trucks, trucks or SUVs make that remark about homos driving cars... How would you know homos drive cars... Was the last dude you picked up driving a Subaru like mine?? Just kinda BS in my opinion that they feel it necessary to prove there manhood by having the biggest thing in town.. Hope you have fun making that 15 point turn just to park in 1 spot at Costco *******..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I find it funny to hear people who drive big lifted trucks, trucks or SUVs make that remark about homos driving cars... How would you know homos drive cars... Was the last dude you picked up driving a Subaru like mine?? Just kinda BS in my opinion that they feel it necessary to prove there manhood by having the biggest thing in town.. Hope you have fun making that 15 point turn just to park in 1 spot at Costco *******..
    I think that most of the people drive a certain type of car as some kind of statement. I see 50+ year old women driving Porsches (mostly panamera though) and lifted trucks that dont even haven't even seen dirt. Well, their truck might have been offroad but what kind of prerunner doesnt even have skid plates or at least dirt on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm 48 and could care less what others think of me for driving the WRX.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I'm 38 and this is my first WRX. I also don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of me when I drive it.

I have have driven everything from Saturns to a supercharged z28 which the neighbors thought I got for a midlife crises. I still kick myself for ever getting rid of the Z. Oh well.

I enjoy driving in a spirited fashion and the Subaru fit the bill. It puts a smile on my face while giving me the ability to fit in a parking garage when I have to go somewhere for work. I really think it is the best bang for the buck at it's pricepoint.

I have had a couple of youngsters come up and tell me it was a nice car, but the best was a guy I saw the other day when I pulled up to at a stoplight. He was driving a minivan. We both had our kids in the car. He looked, smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

only haters and retards in turboed hondas give me grief (especially after i show em the tail lights).i get peps asking me to lift the hood all the time. i even get old ladies in legacy wagons giving me a thumbs up. owning a Subaru is like joining a brother hood of very cool people.nothing pleases a hater.feed your need for speed.
    168mph makes me giggle!!

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    It doesn't even phase me anymore.. I drove a Porsche Boxster for the past 11 years, and I heard my fair share of idiotic comments (especially after that clever comment on The Sopranos)..

Most people give me a puzzled look when I tell them that I'm getting rid of the Porsche for a Subaru, but the WRX is exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast