High Mileage -what /when do I need to worry about ?

This is a discussion on High Mileage -what /when do I need to worry about ? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Guys, I have just flown though 160,000 km on 02 WRX. (bought 5yrs ago, WAS low mileage) Zero problems ...

High Mileage -what /when do I need to worry about ?

Hey Guys,

I have just flown though 160,000 km on 02 WRX. (bought 5yrs ago, WAS low mileage)
    Zero problems to date. (so much for that pricey extended warrantee
    I do 30,000K/yr , a lot of interstate, and a fair bit of sub zero weather.
    Personally there is no car I would rather have and I would like to keep it forever....

Anything I should be worried about, ?
    I have heard the Turbos don't last forever and are really pricey,
    I would appreciate any advice on (more than routine ) preventative maintenance etc.

I guess I am a (relatively) slow and boring driver, so it is not getting thrashed.

I service it at a local place, not Subaru, as I am not impressed with local dealers, but perhaps I should see them once/year ?

Regards,
    A

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The timing belt is coming due. Usually people do the water pump as well at the time. Other than that, I see no reason to worry. It's a low mileage car after all. 160k KM is nothing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 definitely do the timing belt. The water pump is your choice, if it fails it could leave you stranded.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Mileage is only a problem when it gets too high...

I kid, I kid.

Mileage means very little to a car. Drive cycles, duty cycles, maintenance, and abuse do. I just changed a rear axle bearing on a fleet Ford van with 550,000 miles on it. It runs and drives great because it is driven well, and regularly cared for. I've also changed engines, transmissions, clutches, etc.. on 20-30k mile cars because the were abused and not cared for. It's all about how you treat and care for the car.