New guy...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New guy... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I'm new to Subaru in terms of owning and new to the forum, just thought I would drop a ...

New guy...

So, I'm new to Subaru in terms of owning and new to the forum, just thought I would drop a line to everyone. I am waiting on my 2011 SPW STI Sedan to be delivered about mid dec (at latest Ive been told). Right now I am rocking a pikes peak white 350z, and I love it, but due to recent changes on living location I have decided to pick up an STI sedan, hoping this is faster than my Z and should be test driving one saturday! I'm a bit of a photographer in my off-time, so if anyone has questions on that feel free to ask, Hope to ask noobish questions on subies soon. Photography website is in sig.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome... sounds like a photo opt in the making, so post pics of her when you accept delivery ... also post some pics of your Z...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Ive been meaning to go shoot my Z, just havent had the time hopefully before I get the subie I will be able to shoot it

Yeah... make sure you get at least a couple of picture of you Z... the the Z's and G35 coupes are sexy beasts... I almost bought an 05 black G35 coupe, but I didn't want to deal with how low it was and RWD in the snow... not fun at all when you cant even pull into a parking lot without scraping the under side no matter what angle you give it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I do have a question that has been bugging me though, is the new sti really as bad as all the reviews say? ie motortrend/c&d/edumunds IL? seems like they all said go for the regular wrx...but I am trying to look for something with more power over the long term. The wrx seems like by the time you catch it up to the STI you have spent the same amount of money and your resell value is gone on a regular wrx, as where an STI would hold its value and be able to hold more power... I could be completely off but this is my first "new" car off the showroom floor and don't feel as confident when I read all these reviews....

Magazines care a lot about #'s the cars can post on the test track. The 2011 sti saw similar #'s if not a tenth or two of a second worse than the previous tests which really bothered the magazines. I read some reviews that have said testing the wrx and sti back to back there is still a difference between the cars being the sti is more powerfull and raw while the wrx is more comfy and easier to drive in traffic. That is true, but the updates the sti saw this coming yr may not show better #'s in mag tests, but subaru did them for a reason and it works in real world driving from what I've read. Since the wrx got many upgrades that have brought it much closer to the sti, the mags are panning the sti for a much bigger price with close to the same performance as last yr, so why buy the sti. Well a stronger tranny and wheel hubs that can handle more power, big better breaks, better difs, better chasiss mounts/bushings, stiffer suspension, and basically more of a track car. Go drive one, ull enjoy it ill bet. I own a wrx since my car is not a track car, but the sti is a good car. Read reviews on this site from new owners, not magazines who need paper #'s to like a car

I went from an STI to a 350Z Touring. Then I came back to an STI for a reason.

They really are two completely different cars built for completely different things. STI is faster without a doubt, especially off the line. But the linear power of the VQ35 is incredible, so its obviously no slouch.

But personally, I think going to an STI was a good choice, considering its what I did. Can't beat Boost and AWD

Don't worry about magazine reviews. You're never going to do a slalom run to try and pull Gs. You're never going to do an all out drag run to get a quarter mile time, while on the streets. You ARE going to see what that AWD can do for you in the snow and rain...something a magazine will never mention. Oh yeah...you also will have one of the safest cars on the road

And yes, lets see some pics of your Z! I do miss mine to an extent...got looks everywhere I went and the Injen Exhaust I had on it was just straight mean! Plus I loved my burnt orange interior
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I went from an STI to a 350Z Touring. Then I came back to an STI for a reason.

They really are two completely different cars built for completely different things. STI is faster without a doubt, especially off the line. But the linear power of the VQ35 is incredible, so its obviously no slouch.

But personally, I think going to an STI was a good choice, considering its what I did. Can't beat Boost and AWD

Don't worry about magazine reviews. You're never going to do a slalom run to try and pull Gs. You're never going to do an all out drag run to get a quarter mile time, while on the streets. You ARE going to see what that AWD can do for you in the snow and rain...something a magazine will never mention. Oh yeah...you also will have one of the safest cars on the road

And yes, lets see some pics of your Z! I do miss mine to an extent...got looks everywhere I went and the Injen Exhaust I had on it was just straight mean! Plus I loved my burnt orange interior
    I still can't believe you parted with your old 07 sti limited... if I had 1 I wouldn't be able to let it go...

I love the orange on the Z's, it reminds me of that tangerine orange color on the lamborghini's...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    I still can't believe you parted with your old 07 sti limited... if I had 1 I wouldn't be able to let it go...
    Bad financial times will cause you to do some drastic things...ironically if I kept it, it'd be paid off in 11 months now.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Bad financial times will cause you to do some drastic things...ironically if I kept it, it'd be paid off in 11 months now.
    Yeah... I hear that... it sucks to have to sacrifice the things you love cause of certain things that pop up... I love the limited sti's cause they are so low ket and the lip on the trunk looks really flush...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Yeah... I hear that... it sucks to have to sacrifice the things you love cause of certain things that pop up... I love the limited sti's cause they are so low ket and the lip on the trunk looks really flush...
    Yeah the rear lip and the front V-Limited lip were the ****. They made it so classy looking. Just enough to style it up, but under the skin it was still the same Raw STI as any others. Not many Subarus out there that had a leather interior and a moonroof that could run 12.3 in a quarter mile protuned

Yeah the rear lip and the front V-Limited lip were the ****. They made it so classy looking. Just enough to style it up, but under the skin it was still the same Raw STI as any others. Not many Subarus out there that had a leather interior and a moonroof that could run 12.3 in a quarter mile protuned
    Yeah that's true... they are rare too... if you held on to it for a while and kept the mileage low it would be a collecter's item... my buddy has an 04 vw gti r32, he keeps it parked in his garage all the time... it still has a really good resale value...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Yeah that's true... they are rare too... if you held on to it for a while and kept the mileage low it would be a collecter's item... my buddy has an 04 vw gti r32, he keeps it parked in his garage all the time... it still has a really good resale value...
    True...but I put 57k on the clock in the first two years I had it

And I found it STILL sold for $28k after I got rid of it!!!

But damn those R32s...they are a tank. I ran one at the strip that was TT'd and it smoked me, until it blew one of the turbos at about halfway of the run. He would have had me with an 11 second pass and that was my best pass ever at 12.7 before I was protuned. Those R32s are no joke at all...that VR6 is a sick engine, but then worked and boosted...a whole different ballgame.

True...but I put 57k on the clock in the first two years I had it

And I found it STILL sold for $28k after I got rid of it!!!

But damn those R32s...they are a tank. I ran one at the strip that was TT'd and it smoked me, until it blew one of the turbos at about halfway of the run. He would have had me with an 11 second pass and that was my best pass ever at 12.7 before I was protuned. Those R32s are no joke at all...that VR6 is a sick engine, but then worked and boosted...a whole different ballgame.
    Yeah... I saw a TT'd R32 in a car magazine and it was all crazy... it said it was tuned to 600ish horsepower and ran high 9's and mid 10's... its almost a shame to see them customized that much cause they are so rare, but I don't see why they only made them for 04 (a side from the newer 1 with the automatic)... great platform IMHO...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Yeah they can be beasts...I forgot to mention that he WOULDA pulled an 11 second pass if he didn't blow his engine midway and shut down...still ran a 13.5 while coasting to trap at 88mph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.