Just Bought 2011 WRX - Need Winter Tires
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just Bought 2011 WRX - Need Winter Tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New Subaru owner here in Connecticut, just took delivery on a 2011 DGM WRX hatchback. LOVE the car. Question for ...

Just Bought 2011 WRX - Need Winter Tires

New Subaru owner here in Connecticut, just took delivery on a 2011 DGM WRX hatchback. LOVE the car. Question for you experts... I need some tires that will get me through the winter, are there any make/model suggestions for a tire with good snow traction and a decent dry weather ride? Thanks in advance... I'm sure I'll have other questions as time goes by...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just ordered the same car and have been looking too. From what I've heard wheels from the bug eye fit and they're relatively cheap. Finding a set for sale is a different story. Good luck.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome

nice thread on winter wheels n tires

also check out tirerack: 2011 wrx 4 door
    http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...utoModClar=%23

also check out tirerack: 2011 wrx 5 door
    http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...utoModClar=%23

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

thanks on the heads up on blizzaks, does anyone recommend any all season performance tires, or stick with pure snows like the Blizzak? My preference would be all season.... not sure how they perform on this beast though... many thanks.

Get a good set of snow tires. They will outperform an all season by a huge amount.

I'd go with the Dunlop Winter Sport personally. Lots of people use Blizzaks too, but I've run the Dunlops on lots of cars and they've always been awesome. They're also the highest rated winter tire on tirerack's website. The Blizzak comes in 5th...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Not to de-rail but which dealership in CT did you order through? I ordered through Mitchell in Canton.

If you want to look at 16" wheel options, plug in 2010 WRX into Tirerack and it will show you those options. For some reason it only shows 17" for 2011's even though they fit 16"s fine.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Dunlops & Blizzaks go for the same price but Dunlops have a rebate available.Anybody know about the Michelin PA3?they are a bit pricy but r ranked higher than the competition.Also theres a new Pirelli Sottozero,decisions,decisions...
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    Not to de-rail but which dealership in CT did you order through? I ordered through Mitchell in Canton.

If you want to look at 16" wheel options, plug in 2010 WRX into Tirerack and it will show you those options. For some reason it only shows 17" for 2011's even though they fit 16"s fine.
    I hate to correct you on this topic again but if you look now Tire rack has recommendations for 16" but only for 5 doors
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I hate to correct you on this topic again but if you look now Tire rack has recommendations for 16" but only for 5 doors
    Must be because I called and berated them on it the other day. My WRX waiting-list wrath is boiling over to other vendors lol
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I was able to "build my own" wheel/tire package with just 16" steel wheels and a set of firestone winterforces for under 600. Do I NEED to put the tire pressure monitor systems in or can I do without? I'm new to TPMS and know really nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    I was able to "build my own" wheel/tire package with just 16" steel wheels and a set of firestone winterforces for under 600. Do I NEED to put the tire pressure monitor systems in or can I do without? I'm new to TPMS and know really nothing about them.
    You can do without them, just ignore the tire pressure light

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    Suburban in Vernon. I went to test drive a sedan and stumbled upon a DGM hatchback that they had just prepped for delivery, but the guy backed out (or so I was told... dunno). Premium package, short throw shifter. Bought it the following day. Freaking gorgeous little sled in DGM. Love it.

Depends on how much snow and ice you are driving in. In your are frequently driving on snow, packed snow, and ice, i would reccomend a snow tire like the blizzak WS. If you occasionally encounter snow and do alot of driving on cold roads, you might be better off with performance winter tires like the dunlop wintersports, blizzak LM, or the michelins. I got the blizzak LMs cause i'm in MN and the ice & Snow sticks around for months. One snow so far and i could barely get the car to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    You can do without them, just ignore the tire pressure light
    So if I just buy them without it, I'll just have a small dash light on? I just want to make sure the car won't be like "zomglolwtf i'm not gonna work".

When I put the OEM wheels/tires on the system will automatically detect the TPMS?

Actually if anyone can provide a good thread on how the TPMS work and everything I would really appreciate it, as I know nothing about it. I'm gonna go search around.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    So if I just buy them without it, I'll just have a small dash light on? I just want to make sure the car won't be like "zomglolwtf i'm not gonna work".

When I put the OEM wheels/tires on the system will automatically detect the TPMS?

Actually if anyone can provide a good thread on how the TPMS work and everything I would really appreciate it, as I know nothing about it. I'm gonna go search around.
    When one of my TPMS broke during the install of new tires, I drove around for several months on my summer tires. The light flashes on a couple of times, then stays on. I highly recommend the painter's-tape-covered-by-electrical-tape (don't just put electrical tape on the cluster cover) mod to cover the light.

I also typically install my summer wheels about a week before any driver education event, just to get used to the different handling before going to the class. In those circumstances (about 6-8 times in the last 2 years), the light is on while the non-OEM wheels are on the car. It is annoying, but as soon as the stock wheels (with TPMS) are installed, the light resets itself after a few miles of driving.

You have a few other options-

Buy a second set of TPMS an dpay the dealership to re-program them after each seasonal switchover, OR

Buy a second set of TPMS AND a second TPMS receiver. Have it programmed once and switch it over when you switch tires.

OR

Just live with the light (which is what I plan to do when I get 16" tires for my WRX).

EDIT:

Here are 2 threads with good info. Both deal with a Legacy, but all lessons apply. The TPMS may or may not have the same part nuimbers, but the concepts are the same.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ht-108338.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea....html?t=104714
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 11-16-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast