Just Bought 2011 WRX - Need Winter Tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just Bought 2011 WRX - Need Winter Tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thank you very much for all the info, I think I am going to just buy the wheels/tires and live ...

Thank you very much for all the info, I think I am going to just buy the wheels/tires and live with the light.

On the other hand, with the way the cars are being delivered, I may not even get it till February. So I might just wait it out till next winter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm waiting for delivery of my STI and have a set of Dunlop Winter tires and rims (stock size) on my wish list at Tire Rack for when I get the car.I was debating getting the TPMS set to go with my order and have my local authorized Tire Rack service center install them. Would I have issues with dash lights?

Looks like tirerack has added 16 inch recommendations for the 4 door as well. Do you guys recommend the 16 or 17 inch for winter tires? Any advantages

I just got a 2011 wrx and like everyone else Iím in a rush to get something else on the car besides summer tires

We average 67.2Ē of snow a yr
    And 9 months out of the year is just crappy crappy weather
    Donít really see the point in spending another grand for a second set of tires when really we only have 3 good months out of the yr
    So Iím going with all-seasons with a good snow rating

Now what would be the best way to sell the tires that came with the car?
    Ebay? Craigslist? Forums?
    So far they only have 60miles on them, what would be a good asking price for them?
    Also if I sell them on line how much should I charge for S&H?
    And for that matter how the heck do you even ship tires?

It stinks after doing all that research on winter tires I got to do it all over again for all seasons

Right now I’m leaning toward Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/....jsp?ttid=102&

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

I also saw some user reviews who were using the Dunlop Winter sports all year long
    Would anyone recommend doing something like this?

I know winter tires use a softer rubber for traction in ice which makes them useless and weak in the summer
    But the performance winter tires like the 3d’s and LM Blizzaks seem to be closer to an all season tire rather then a dedicated winter tire
    Last edited by Ksound; 11-17-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
    I'm waiting for delivery of my STI and have a set of Dunlop Winter tires and rims (stock size) on my wish list at Tire Rack for when I get the car.I was debating getting the TPMS set to go with my order and have my local authorized Tire Rack service center install them. Would I have issues with dash lights?
    You will have to have them re-programmed seasonally by a qualified tire place or dealership.

You might see if your salesperson will talk to the service guys about doing the re-programming as a courtesy, at least for the first few seasonal changeovers. Maybe offer to pay for an oil change there any time they do the reprogramming.

(BTW- I know people laugh at dealer oil changes, but for $30 I get a genuine Subaru filter, oil, and a carwash- plus I don't get dirty. I'll rebuild a motor and install suspension, brakes, and other bolt-ons, but I don't change my own oil.)

Quote Originally Posted by junks2255 View Post
    Looks like tirerack has added 16 inch recommendations for the 4 door as well. Do you guys recommend the 16 or 17 inch for winter tires? Any advantages
    16 wheels and tires are typically cheaper to buy and cheaper to have M&B. They also have more sidewall, so they are more pothole-forgiving.

Also, you want a more narrow tire (probably a 205 or 215) for winter, which works on a 17" rim but is easier to find for a good price in a 16" size (in my experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Ksound View Post
    It stinks after doing all that research on winter tires I got to do it all over again for all seasons

Right now Iím leaning toward Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/....jsp?ttid=102&

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

I also saw some user reviews who were using the Dunlop Winter sports all year long
    Would anyone recommend doing something like this?

I know winter tires use a softer rubber for traction in ice which makes them useless and weak in the summer
    But the performance winter tires like the 3dís and LM Blizzaks seem to be closer to an all season tire rather then a dedicated winter tire
    Years ago in college a buddy ran winter blizzaks on his '86 Audi 5000 all year long. They were great from November to February in New England but were scary at highway speeds in dry conditions; real squirrely during quick lane changes.

Here in NJ the snow doesn't get packed or linger too long b/w storms. So I'm leaning to all-seasons with good snow performance, like the Continental Extreme Contact

Quote Originally Posted by Ksound View Post
    I just got a 2011 wrx and like everyone else I’m in a rush to get something else on the car besides summer tires

Now what would be the best way to sell the tires that came with the car?
    Ebay? Craigslist? Forums?
    So far they only have 60miles on them, what would be a good asking price for them?
    Also if I sell them on line how much should I charge for S&H?
    And for that matter how the heck do you even ship tires?
    Forums are a good place to start. A friend of mine with an 09 WRX bougt a set with 300 miles for $400 shipped from someone who went with A/S tires. Prices can easily vary.

Shipping is based on distance. I'd sell them for a set price with actual shipping added. FedEx is usually chepest to ship tires. Estimate 2 packages of about 50 lb. each with dimensions of 26x26x26, just to be safe. To get these dimensions, you will tape the tires in pairs at 3-4 points around the tire with full bands of packing tape. Sometimes, FedEx charges an "unboxed goods" charge. Sometimes they don't. I think it is about $5 per package.

The only thing to be aware of with running A/S tires all year is that they stock wheels will be subjected to lots of salt and winter road chemicals.

That alone has me looking for A/S tires on 16" wheels.

Purchased a tire and rim package through: http://www.importtire.com/

It was a better deal than tire rack. Rims, snows and sensors were included. I picked them up locally as they were in CT, but they ship everywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00127-20101117-1309.jpg  

^^^^^^^

They look like stock wheels from a tC.

They are. This company purchases large quantities of stock rims from Toyota that may have a scratch on them. They can not sell them as new, so they sell them off at a crazy discount. This company has a CNC machine that insures they fit on your particular car. It is a good rim for the winter.

Too bad their website isn't fully up to check out prices online. Kona, do you mind PMing me what you paid for the wheels and tires? I would purchase them if it's a good enough deal.

Does import tire have a showroom? I spend my weekends in Wethersfield so it's pretty close. Doesn't look like they have any purchasing options online.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I went with the Pirelli winter 210. The Michelins are the only better sounding winter performance tire on tirerack and are way more expensive. I like them but haven't seen snow yet. They are only marginally worse than the best A/S I have ever run in dry and in cold wet they are considerably better (or I would have rear ended the hell out of a car stopped on a blind curve yesterday).

What I did is got the tirerack price and then got my local shop to match it (including shipping). If you are going to use tirerack please click through the link from the club so we get credit.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast