Front lip spoilers on 2011 WRX? - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Front lip spoilers on 2011 WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well...I went to Lowes today and bought two 6 ft x 2" x 1/8" flat aluminum strips, thin flat top ...

Well...I went to Lowes today and bought two 6 ft x 2" x 1/8" flat aluminum strips, thin flat top "carriage" bolts and some lock nuts. I'm gonna bend the aluminum strips to the general shape of the lower lip of the front bumper...then drill & paint the strips. I will mount one on top of the bumper lip and one below....hopefully this will provide protection from stress cracks due to low speed impacts, yet doesn't prevent the bumper from flexing backwards or upwards. Considering applying some fiberglass cloth to the lower inside of the bumper as well. I'll keep ya posted.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander
    1970 Datsun 510 sedan (first car)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got one a few days ago too and im pissed as hell. Right on the bottom of the drivers side too! Bought the top paint or whatever its called from the dealership dont know if i can do anything with that..... some people told me just rock out with it and will probably happen again but its still not sitting with me easy. Also that spoiler ur talking about i wonder if it comes in all the colors since theres not any even listed even in the subaru parts pamphlet? anyways let me know what u guys decide to do with the damage, cause i agree paying 500 doesnt seem like all that much of a deal especially for something that isnt all that noticeable if noticeable at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierceblues View Post
    Well...I went to Lowes today and bought two 6 ft x 2" x 1/8" flat aluminum strips, thin flat top "carriage" bolts and some lock nuts. I'm gonna bend the aluminum strips to the general shape of the lower lip of the front bumper...then drill & paint the strips. I will mount one on top of the bumper lip and one below....hopefully this will provide protection from stress cracks due to low speed impacts, yet doesn't prevent the bumper from flexing backwards or upwards. Considering applying some fiberglass cloth to the lower inside of the bumper as well. I'll keep ya posted.
    Hows it comming any picks yet? Im noticing this bumper is picking up ALOT of scraps and chips. Considering the bumper protector for the center hole. 1700miles and it looks like I driven 10,000 unreal really
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikebravo01 View Post
    Hows it comming any picks yet? Im noticing this bumper is picking up ALOT of scraps and chips. Considering the bumper protector for the center hole. 1700miles and it looks like I driven 10,000 unreal really
    Haven't started yet......BUT gonna have to soon, cuz today I was making a U-turn and the bumper bottom rubbed a small grass berm and the side vent popped out, the fender skirt disconnected from the bumper (that side only)and the small side panel with the "WRX" emblem popped partially off. WTH????? Clearly these bumpers are weak in the extreme and have too much flex!
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Dang... that's nuts.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    Dang... that's nuts.
    Yep...I'll say! Fortunately I was able to locate all the black plastic body "bolts" and snap everything back into place. Still.....I was expecting this car to be more of a "trudger" with its rally heritage and not lose its face when rubbing some raised grass and dirt (didn't even scrape the paint off or dent the bumper). Seems like a 45 degree impact (regardless of speed) to the lower outside corner of the bumper (below the fog lights) could cause the "unsnapping" of plastic body parts on that side of the car. Maybe the "wide body" front bumper lacks proper reinforcement in the design...kinda like the 2009 bearings that failed when the HP was increased from the 2008MY. Gonna be a drag if I'm having to put the bumper back on at every little bump.....can't image what is gonna happen when I play rough in the snow with the car?
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    2005 Toyota Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by sc13 View Post
    I got one a few days ago too and im pissed as hell. Right on the bottom of the drivers side too! Bought the top paint or whatever its called from the dealership dont know if i can do anything with that..... some people told me just rock out with it and will probably happen again but its still not sitting with me easy. Also that spoiler ur talking about i wonder if it comes in all the colors since theres not any even listed even in the subaru parts pamphlet? anyways let me know what u guys decide to do with the damage, cause i agree paying 500 doesnt seem like all that much of a deal especially for something that isnt all that noticeable if noticeable at all.
    I had to do some touch up on the side bumper of my 2008 WRX (satin white pearl). The paint is a three stage paint. I got the paint from a company that offered the factory paint in 12oz areosol cans (base coat, color coat and clear top coat). The paint match was exact..in fact my next door neighbor owns a body shop was amazed at the match and asked me for the name of the company and website. A kit of paint, plastic bumper primer, tape, wet sand paper of various grades, tack cloth and bumper adhesive cost me about $85.00. Here is the link: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...t_matched.aspx
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    2005 Toyota Highlander

thanks a lot Fierceblues im going to give this site a try

I Support ClubWRX
    Does anybody know whether the front bumper dimensions on the MY08-09 STI & the MY11 WRX are the same?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by sc13 View Post
    thanks a lot Fierceblues im going to give this site a try
    Hope it works out for you. Just a tip for you. The base coat goes on easy enough. But the color coat dries quickly..so if you spray too far from the part being painted it almost becomes powder and the finish has a rough feel to it (was how mine turned out initally). My body shop neighbor wet sanded my "section" and repainted by bringing the paint can in close with even strokes and the surface was smooth. He did the same thing with the clear coat, stressing you want it to look wet, but obviously not runny. The guy clearly knew his stuff, cuz it came out great. So experiment a little to get the distance right, so the final product turns out close to factory.....it is possible.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    2005 Toyota Highlander

FYI,

found the oem lip here for 318.00 plus shipping totaled at 345.00 to the door. not bad

I Support ClubWRX
    I was looking at the factory front lip on subarugenuineparts https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1735 & its says there that it also fits the 2008 STI.Does this mean that I can just get a 2008 STI lip off of ebay?I have contacted many sellers but they all say they can't guarantee that it will fit.I might just take the risk anyway.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Does anyone have a picture of a front lip on a 2011 wrx hatch?
    I feel like it may look good on a the SWP or Black, but I feel on the DGM it may look...off

In my opinion, the Subaru oem front lip is too conservative to be forking 350-400 bones over. Anyone heard of any other lips available for cheaper or even a better look?

Quote Originally Posted by Fierceblues View Post
    Any updates on your DIY project? Would love to see how that goes and any pictures you might have. Best of luck with the install man.
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip