Help with bugeye fuel tank size please

This is a discussion on Help with bugeye fuel tank size please within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so i bought my bugeye about 3 months ago and am totally inlove with my car. I cant really ...

Registered User Bugeye Scoob CT's Avatar

Help with bugeye fuel tank size please

Ok so i bought my bugeye about 3 months ago and am totally inlove with my car. I cant really complain about fuel economy as my driving style various with the mood but i do get anything from 25,5 mpg to 30 mpg depending on how i drive.

Now my question is this. What size tank should my bugeye have as all over the internet and all publications including the owners manual my car is supposed to have a 13,2 g tank but when i fill up from empty the most i get into the tank is no more than 9,68g.

I have checked the tank for dents and i have also checked the breather for blockage but all seems fine. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye Scoob CT View Post
    Ok so i bought my bugeye about 3 months ago and am totally inlove with my car. I cant really complain about fuel economy as my driving style various with the mood but i do get anything from 25,5 mpg to 30 mpg depending on how i drive.

Now my question is this. What size tank should my bugeye have as all over the internet and all publications including the owners manual my car is supposed to have a 13,2 g tank but when i fill up from empty the most i get into the tank is no more than 9,68g.

I have checked the tank for dents and i have also checked the breather for blockage but all seems fine. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated
    2002-2005 USDM WRX had 15.9 gallon fuel tank (not sure if other markets had different size tanks). Sounds to me that you have a poor-reading fuel level sensor. Try running some Seafoam through the fuel tank.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Gallons are not a good idea because there is more than one volume that equals one gallon. I suspect you are both saying the same thing about the max volume of the fuel tank.

You are both saying the tank has a max volume of just over 60 liters. This equals both 15.9 gallons and 13,2 gallons, depending on who is measuring -- but in either case it's a little over 60 L.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Gallons are not a good idea because there is more than one volume that equals one gallon. I suspect you are both saying the same thing about the max volume of the fuel tank.

You are both saying the tank has a max volume of just over 60 liters. This equals both 15.9 gallons and 13,2 gallons, depending on who is measuring -- but in either case it's a little over 60 L.
    Yes yes, you are absolutely right. 13.2 imperial gallons = 15.9 US gallons = 60 liters (I made the edit after I saw the OPs location -- after my post). Regardless, we are dodging the point of the original post, the OP is reading an empty tank after only 9.7 imperial gallons (no good!)

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    My fuel indicator is pessimistic on the low end sometimes too though, especially if the car has just sat around for a few weeks. It's also optimistic on the high end, and falls non-linearly around midpoint.

The real way for the OP to make sure there's no problem is to run the car dry, but I would not do that. I usually fill as late as possible, usually a bit past the point where I am beginning to worry, and I usually end up using less than 13 gallons as the US measures them. If the OP doesn't wait until absolute panic time to refill, I can see using less than 9,68 gals Imperial measure.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My fuel indicator is pessimistic on the low end sometimes too though, especially if the car has just sat around for a few weeks. It's also optimistic on the high end, and falls non-linearly around midpoint.

The real way for the OP to make sure there's no problem is to run the car dry, but I would not do that. I usually fill as late as possible, usually a bit past the point where I am beginning to worry, and I usually end up using less than 13 gallons as the US measures them. If the OP doesn't wait until absolute panic time to refill, I can see using less than 9,68 gals Imperial measure.
    or perhaps the OP may wish to carry a gas can, drive some country backroads when the fuel light is on (until empty), and determine just how much fuel is left in the tank.

Facebook me here