New 2011 WRX owner, first mods?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2011 WRX owner, first mods? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New black 2011 Wagon owner here, I love the car but I can never leave good enough alone. I've read ...

New 2011 WRX owner, first mods?

New black 2011 Wagon owner here, I love the car but I can never leave good enough alone.

I've read over most of the performance threads and a bunch of interior/exterior mods. I have a couple questions tho:

Performance:
    I plan on doing downpipe and ECU. Possibly exhaust.
    1. I've only put on 1k miles so far, how long should I wait till I start messing with performance mods?
    2. Does the brand of the downpipe matter that much? They range in price from $300 to $600
    3. Does it make sense to do exhaust also? Im not big on noise, but if theres a turbo back exhaust package at a good price I would consider it. Any turbo back recommendations for the 2011 wagon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm a new member, but I think I can answer all of your questions.

I've only put on 1k miles so far, how long should I wait till I start messing with performance mods?
    -1k is a general break in period, but you shouldn't really mod a car until you own it outright, otherwise you're just devaluing a car that you don't own yet

Does the brand of the downpipe matter that much? They range in price from $300 to $600
    -This is best left to someone that knows better, but short answer: yes it matters

Does it make sense to do exhaust also? Im not big on noise, but if theres a turbo back exhaust package at a good price I would consider it. Any turbo back recommendations for the 2011 wagon?
    -If you are planning on buying a downpipe separately than you only need a catback exhaust, a turbo back is a cat back with a downpipe. Also a catback is mostly for sound, so if that isn't important to you than I'd hold off and save the $$.

Hope this helped I'm sure some people with more experience will step in and give their $0.02 as well.

^^^ Those are all good answers.

1,000 miles is generally considered a fair break-in period.

I've learned over the years to not be cheap on car parts that I know will be on my car for a long time. Cat-backs can come and go based on the desire for more/less sound but with a dp I'd prefer to do it once and not ever have to deal with it again. So I bought my exhaust setup new.

I found the stock exhaust to be WAY too quiet. The boxer is such a gorgeous sounding engine...I want to hear it! My intentions were to keep the stock cat-back with a downpipe but after 2 days of ownership I knew I needed a full exhaust.

Go Youtube 09+ wrx exhausts to see what you like. You can even check out STI exhausts...things may be slightly different on the WRX but should be very close.

I really liked the sound of the Perrin and it retains the quad-tip look of the 11 WRX. So I went with the Perrin cat-back and while I was taking advantage of their Halloween deal (17% off everything) I also grabbed the high-flow catted downpipe. I figured if I was going to do one I might as well do the other and also keeping within the same brand is preferred so that fitment and customer support would be best.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Just to add something to the mix here;

you dont "need" a cat back if you change the downpipe. To get the most gain it is "advisable" but not needed. The restriction is removed once you free up the downpipe.. from there on out its only preference on sound. Loud= cops.. cops= no fun. lol

I too like em quiet but fast. So, once my warranty runs out on my 2010 I'll be swapping the downpipe and getting it tuned... probably snap up a used spt exhaust or do a axle back from Perrin.

That being said as well, if you change out that dp and tune it now.. your warranty is pretty much toast if ANYTHING happens to that motor/turbo. Its probably best to leave the power mods alone for a while. If the mod bug has ya bad.. work on the suspension/driveline mounting. Surprisingly that makes quite a bit of difference in not only handling but power delivery as well.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Just to add something to the mix here;

you dont "need" a cat back if you change the downpipe. To get the most gain it is "advisable" but not needed. The restriction is removed once you free up the downpipe.. from there on out its only preference on sound. Loud= cops.. cops= no fun. lol

I too like em quiet but fast. So, once my warranty runs out on my 2010 I'll be swapping the downpipe and getting it tuned... probably snap up a used spt exhaust or do a axle back from Perrin.

That being said as well, if you change out that dp and tune it now.. your warranty is pretty much toast if ANYTHING happens to that motor/turbo. Its probably best to leave the power mods alone for a while. If the mod bug has ya bad.. work on the suspension/driveline mounting. Surprisingly that makes quite a bit of difference in not only handling but power delivery as well.
    I'm also kind of new to the WRX mod thing. I have a new 2011 WRX limited, only have the SS for an upgrade. What can I do to get more precise steering? Like it to be a little more sensitive. I use to own a S2000 and would like to get a little more direct feeling, like a go kart in a sense.
    2011 DGM WRX Limited 5 Door

^^^
    start with swaybars and endlinks then go to struts/springs if its not enough

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by divide View Post
    New black 2011 Wagon owner here, I love the car but I can never leave good enough alone.
    I've read over most of the performance threads and a bunch of interior/exterior mods. I have a couple questions tho:

Performance:
    I plan on doing down pipe and ECU. Possibly exhaust.
    1. I've only put on 1k miles so far, how long should I wait till I start messing with performance mods?
    2. Does the brand of the down pipe matter that much? They range in price from $300 to $600
    3. Does it make sense to do exhaust also? Im not big on noise, but if there's a turbo back exhaust package at a good price I would consider it. Any turbo back recommendations for the 2011 wagon?

1. Wait till at LEAST 3500 miles even yrur 2ne oil change imo.
    2. Not the brand is no matter, save the $$.. I hear invidia is what most go with (no idea on cost)
    3. It makes sense to do either, I mean its fine to NOT do exhaust (as I also prefer my dead quite 2011 WRX) If you had to go with one...honestly just save the $$ and go invidia again or SPT, personally I use all SPT parts when I can. My local shop gives me NO hassle as far as warranty goes as long as im using SPT parts :/

Just my personal opinions, I also have a 2011 wrx, 2nd wrx and ive read most the mods. Seems most common mods are downpipe + s2 cobb access port 91 octane tune, should be right at 300-305 at the crank for only a few bucks.
    Last edited by trueX; 01-17-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elky View Post
    I'm a new member, but I think I can answer all of your questions.
    -1k is a general break in period, but you shouldn't really mod a car until you own it outright, otherwise you're just devaluing a car that you don't own yet
    I see your point but if he is going to mess w voiding the warranty so be it, I had the same issue, its hard to wait 60 months to do a few mods. Go to the shop and ask them what they are comfortable with you doing w the car and it not messing w the powertrain warranty, mine is pretty forgiving, they just replaced the clutch under warranty and they didn't have to. Went out at 9k miles

Does the brand of the downpipe matter that much? They range in price from $300 to $600
    -This is best left to someone that knows better, but short answer: yes it matters
    Actually it doesnt really, your talking a diff in 2-3 hp between brands, again most go Invidia so I read, bellmouth I think. The charts prove it, sure another $300 bucks may get you 2 more horsepower but is it worth it is the question?

Does it make sense to do exhaust also? Im not big on noise, but if theres a turbo back exhaust package at a good price I would consider it. Any turbo back recommendations for the 2011 wagon?
    -If you are planning on buying a down pipe separately than you only need a catback exhaust, a turbo back is a cat back with a downpipe. Also a catback is mostly for sound, so if that isn't important to you than I'd hold off and save the $$.
    Yes hes right, if your are doing a down pipe and exhaust is optional, but with a down pipe AND and catback your actually have a TBE or Turbo Back which is considered a full exhaust outside the headers, but yes catbacks are MOSTLY for sound (which it seems we both hate) id just stick to a down pipe personally, the WRX exhaust is good up to over 400 hp stock
    Last edited by trueX; 01-17-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    ^^^ Those are all good answers.
    I found the stock exhaust to be WAY too quiet. The boxer is such a gorgeous sounding engine...I want to hear it!.
    The cops love hearing it also

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I vote to just leave it alone until your warranty runs out.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Warranties are for chumps.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Warranties are for chumps.
    It just replaced my $2k clutch which went out at 10k miles :/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trueX View Post
    It just replaced my $2k clutch which went out at 10k miles :/
    Um, okay. In almost all cases, clutches go out due to abuse and/or poor driving habits, not adding a few hp.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by trueX View Post
    The cops love hearing it also
    The Perrin is classy and sounds great. I've had cops behind me and next to me and they never even looked twice. It's usually more about how you're driving than how you sound in my experience.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Um, okay. In almost all cases, clutches go out due to abuse and/or poor driving habits, not adding a few hp.
    I thought the '11s had an issue with the clutches and those were fixed under warranty.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast