New to Soobs, not turbo AWD

This is a discussion on New to Soobs, not turbo AWD within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I'm new to the subaru family as I just picked up a new forester for my wife. As ...

New to Soobs, not turbo AWD

Hi all,

I'm new to the subaru family as I just picked up a new forester for my wife. As it stands, I now have her hand me down corolla, which is cool, but it isn't my style of car.

So I've been thinking about purchasing a new 2011 WRX base. I like the new body style a lot more, and I was wondering if any of you had actual specifics on the car's 2.5 WRX engine?
    I really want to know:

1) the strength/weaknesses of the engine internals, more about the turbo, and intercooler. These specs seem very hard to find for me.

2)how reliable the car's engine and tranny is? I've read about some engine issues in the 09 due to oil starvation...? Also, can the tranny really handle all the WRX power reliably, especially if modded? Any 2010-2011 issues I need to be aware of?

3)Currently I own a 1991 GMC Syclone. It too is AWD and boosted and does the 1/4 low 11s. I do my own tuning and run a electronic BLITZ boost controller along with alky injection. I would like to do the same with a WRX, so I'm really curious if the soobie can handle the extra power and abuse?

4)Lastly, any idea what is the lowest price I could get a base WRX for, ie no options included. I like my rides strippped becasue of weight and $$$. Maybe someone knows how much more weight could be removed safely...

Might be considered a lot of questions, but I'm getting serious about buying soon.

Thx
    Nello

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Congrats on the Forester

EJ series engines are not exactly built for big power. Basic weaknesses include:
    1. Pistons (cast, not forged)
    2. All aluminum engine construction
    3. relatively small top-mount intercooler
    4. those wanting a very large turbo will need to move to a rotated setup

2008-2011 WRX tranny strength is still unknown, but it seems that some newer WRXs are holding 300 wtq without drama. Still, I don't know how much power the diffs can reliably hold.

Ask yourself what you really want out of your car. If you are looking for a daily driver with 250-300whp, the WRX with a few mods is great! If you want big power, look for a 4G63-powered Lancer Evolution. Though keep in mind, the reliability on those motors is for crap.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yeah, the wrx is not really a drag strip car, so if that's what u want u might look else where. if you do want to make more than 300 whp with a reliable tranny, u should probably get the sti as its tranny is much stronger. Tuning reliably on these cars requires a lot of work and experiance. Adding just a boost controller and some other small stuff is not good or reliable. If you are capable of tuning urself, there are tools u can buy for that so it is possible.