Going back to a WRX need advice..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Going back to a WRX need advice.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Its been a while but my wife wants another WRX. We used to own a WR Blue 2004 WRX and ...

Going back to a WRX need advice..

Its been a while but my wife wants another WRX. We used to own a WR Blue 2004 WRX and traded in years ago. Well here we are again and im looking for a blue WRX again. I been out of the wrx scene and just started looking at the classifieds again. I see the WRX has really changed its appearance over the model years... I really like the look of the 2006 but I do not know what years are the best to get. I can not afford a brand new one so im probably looking from 2006-2008 model years. I would consider an STI if I found one for a decent price. Is there a big differencce between the model years? Whih one is best? I heard that from 06 and up the went to a larger engine than what I had in my 05. Can anyone set me straight and give me advice what to look for and what years are good?
    Last edited by SparkSVT; 11-13-2010 at 09:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Others will clarify this but the WRX got a big jump in HP in 2009 (I think). Went from 227 to 265. Torque also up about 10%. Wide body for the 2011 WRX's which also saw wider wheels/tires and suspension changes (less understeer). Still running a 5 spd tranny since 2002.

WRX stayed pretty close mechanically otherwise from 2002 to 2008 from what I know (except to exorcise those crappy synchronizers in the tranny.....) - I had a 2002 when they first came out and just got back into a WRX like yourself - bought a 2011 in WRB.

06-now has a 2.5l engine, previous years had a 2.0.

From what I've heard, don't get an '08 - subaru made some bad design decisions that year.

An '04 sti should, iirc, be close in price to the range of wrx's you're looking at - don't necessarily cross it off your list.

Beyond the generic, look at specific cars - use cars.com or autotrader, your local classifieds, etc. to find cars that you like, then use the car purchasing forum's stickies to help see if each one's good.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.