09 WRX - Winter Rim Search

This is a discussion on 09 WRX - Winter Rim Search within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey All, I just picked up a 2009 WRX 265 (premium in the US) and am looking for winter tires/rims. ...

09 WRX - Winter Rim Search

Hey All,
    I just picked up a 2009 WRX 265 (premium in the US) and am looking for winter tires/rims. I know that I need a 5x100 bolt pattern and an offset of 55mm, according to the Subaru dealer and I am going to go with either 205/55/16 or 205/60/16 rims.

I want to pick up used rims (steel or alloy), but don't know what I need to look for. I have found a ton of used 5x100 16" rims, but how do I test to make sure it will fit properly and won't damage the car? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey!! you live in my town!

couple of options... dealer will sell rims that for sure fit but are more money, aftermarket can be cheaper than most people think(i work at a shop and could get you some ), or browse used ottawa/kijiji and when something promising pops up test fit it on your car before buying... yank a front wheel off stick the rim on and snug down 2 nuts then spin the rim around listening for scraping

i believe 205 55 16 is the size most subaru owners use for winters as its the tire size the old wrx's used to come with and is closest to the stock size although 205 60 16 will give you a wee bit higher clearance

whereabouts in ottawa do you drive? i could give you a hand checking used rims out if you're close by
    check out ottawasubaru.com if you havent theres also a local classifieds there

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

I am getting myself a set of winter tires/rims as well. I had a set for my cobalt ss/sc before the wrx, it worked out great!! So time to get a new set. I am ordering the 205/55/16s from TIRERACK. I have done a lot of business with them in the past and they are excellent! The 205/55 size is their recommended sizing, so I believe them
    Stink-Eye Member #83
    2010 WRX Hatch Limited, Obsidian Black Pearl with Sports Grille
    Tinted windows/tails, TurboXS CBE

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Used bugeye wheels - they are cheap, very light, strong, and have the correct 5x100 pattern and perfect offset (55). You really can't do better without spending real $. 205 55 16 is the tire size you want for slightly better acceleration (205 60 16 might do better mileage on the highway by a tiny bit).
    Last edited by mycologist; 11-11-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

what pattern are the 2011 wrx 5X100 offset 50?
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

@mexicanzero (Alex) - nice to see other WRX drivers from Ottawa on here! I live near Richmond & Kirkwood. you? What shop do you work at and what sort of deals do you get? I have been searching kijiji and usedottawa and both have promising results. I just don't know if rims that came off an Altima or Cobalt have the right offset, even if the bolt pattern is correct. I will have to test fit them like you suggested. Thanks for the offer to assist! I may take you up on the offer if things don't pan out this weekend for me. Checking out 3-4 sets of rims.

@Semaj07 - I know tirerack has great deals and the right sizes for sure. Just trying to save money as the shipping and duty to Canada adds up! Definately going with 205/55/16.

@mycologist - what are 'bugeye' wheels?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaWRX265 View Post
    @mexicanzero (Alex) - nice to see other WRX drivers from Ottawa on here! I live near Richmond & Kirkwood. you? What shop do you work at and what sort of deals do you get? I have been searching kijiji and usedottawa and both have promising results. I just don't know if rims that came off an Altima or Cobalt have the right offset, even if the bolt pattern is correct. I will have to test fit them like you suggested. Thanks for the offer to assist! I may take you up on the offer if things don't pan out this weekend for me. Checking out 3-4 sets of rims.

@Semaj07 - I know tirerack has great deals and the right sizes for sure. Just trying to save money as the shipping and duty to Canada adds up! Definately going with 205/55/16.

@mycologist - what are 'bugeye' wheels?
    2002-2003 WRX wheels:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-05...item19c0110a06
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sweet! Good to know. That price is good and they are in Canada too. I am checking out a set of those rims with Hakkapeliitta's on them, so hopefully they look good.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaWRX265 View Post
    I am checking out a set of those rims with Hakkapeliitta's on them, so hopefully they look good.
    as long as the tires are in good shape that'll be a great setup

I'm mainly around the st.laurent and orleans area but go up to richmond every now n then, i'll keep an eye out for ya! p.m. me if you need a hand with anything i'm always willing to work on a subaru!

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed