From 3.0L V6 Eclipse to 2.5T WRX Limited
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on From 3.0L V6 Eclipse to 2.5T WRX Limited within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I just purchased an '07 WRX Limited. I am completely new to the turbo world. First off, and ...

From 3.0L V6 Eclipse to 2.5T WRX Limited

Hi all,

I just purchased an '07 WRX Limited. I am completely new to the turbo world.

First off, and most important; there is a BCS installed. I know that this part is unnecessary and probably causing harm. What steps do I take to return this back to stock? I don't have the money for a proper tune. The car did not come with a boost gauge so I have no idea if I am over-boosting.

Also, there is a K&N Air Typhoon SRI installed, is this acceptable?

It sounds like there is a blow-off valve installed as well. I believe this is true because my dad’s ’07 STI does not make the pshh sound when letting of the gas like mine does.

These are my main worries about the car. I wish it had been completely stock, but beggars can’t be choosers ( I wanted the leather seats and sunroof )

Any help is great help.

Love yall.

SUBIE

*edit* I joined in Jan 2009? Guess I've been looking to get a subie longer than I thought. Glad it's finally true.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi, show pictures of the engine - we're pretty good at looking for issues.

First of all, yes, if you have a bcs, you'd better hope it's been tuned. You may want to buy a tactrix openport to do some datalogging - this will tell you your boost, among many other things. If you're up for it, you can try tuning it yourself (nasioc has a nice thread on that... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1445774

Otherwise, get it off. DON'T take it off if the car has been tuned for the bcs, because then you're running into the same issue. Just out of curiousity, which bcs is it?

Pretty much any intake is bad for a wrx. Even with proper tuning, the cons tend to outweigh the pros, and it honestly doesn't provide much power. If it hasn't been tuned, you're asking for trouble. Consider selling the intake and swapping back for stock.

Regarding the BOV, there's a chance (you can hope) that you are only hearing that noise because of the intake. Post a pic of the BOV (the thing sticking off the bottom-right of the intercooler), and if you can't identify it yourself, we'll tell you what it is.

I hope you have fun with your subaru, it's a shame you had to get a modded one, but hey - if you like the leather seats, more power to you
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Grimmspeed BCS

Hose #1 from GS BCS

Hose #2 from GS BCS
    connects to turbo here

Stock BCS???
    not connected

Hose #1 from stock BCS?
    connects to nothing (assume WG)

Hose #2 from stock BCS?
    connects to intake post MAF

Stock or Aftermarket BOV?

Intake

Stock or Aftermarket DP?

Here are some pics, anything with a ? is something i'm not sure of. I might just bring it to XX Tuning and pay them to see if its tuned or not. Is that a good Idea? I mean I have no turbo experience besides what I have read. I have no gauges to see if Im over-boosting or running lean, and to be honest, i've been babying the car around because its been making me nervous.

I do have a 2 yr powertrain warranty, and I requested a letter from the dealership I purchased the car at, stating these parts were already installed in the car when purchased.

I guess I should have read before I bought the car instead of vice-versa. But oh well, you live and you learn. I appreciate any and all the help!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TRRChris View Post
    Grimmspeed BCS

Hose #1 from GS BCS

Hose #2 from GS BCS
    connects to turbo here
    GrimmSpeed makes a quality BCS. As long as the car's been tuned, it's a pretty good mod. Just make sure they're not trying to draw crazy amounts of boost out of a stock turbo - sure you can do 18psi, but it's not good for it.
    Stock BCS???
    not connected

Hose #1 from stock BCS?
    connects to nothing (assume WG)

Hose #2 from stock BCS?
    connects to intake post MAF
    Very odd choice to leave the stock bcs in, half hooked up... you may want to figure out how best (safely) to take that out.
    Stock or Aftermarket BOV?
    looks like stock to me. The whoosh sound is from the intake.
    Intake

Stock or Aftermarket DP?
    I'm pretty sure that's aftermarket - I believe you would be able to see a cat on the stock DP in that shot.
    Here are some pics, anything with a ? is something i'm not sure of. I might just bring it to XX Tuning and pay them to see if its tuned or not. Is that a good Idea? I mean I have no turbo experience besides what I have read. I have no gauges to see if Im over-boosting or running lean, and to be honest, i've been babying the car around because its been making me nervous.
    Definitely can't hurt. Piece of mind is worth what little you'll pay (given that they won't need it for hours for tuning)
    I do have a 2 yr powertrain warranty, and I requested a letter from the dealership I purchased the car at, stating these parts were already installed in the car when purchased.

I guess I should have read before I bought the car instead of vice-versa. But oh well, you live and you learn. I appreciate any and all the help!

Thank you!
    That array of mods is typical of a stage2 rex. You can only hope that the car has been properly tuned to match the mods. Given that the thing is idling correctly (it is, right?), that's at least a good sign.

Good luck with this, and definitely have an experienced tuner take a look.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man
    sure you can do 18psi, but it's not good for it.
    18PSI is well within the efficiency range of a TD04. Many people run 20PSI on a StageII tune.

Quote Originally Posted by TRRChris
    I might just bring it to XX Tuning and pay them to see if its tuned or not. Is that a good Idea?
    Go to EFI Logics instead. The former tuner of XX branched off (to EFI), and no one talks about XX anymore; EFI, meanwhile, seems to always have positive things said about them.

I'm pretty sure it's $500 for a tune there, but just to datalog to make sure things are "safe" will probably only be like $100.

I have no gauges to see if Im over-boosting or running lean
    Easy solution: buy a boost and WBO2 gauge. You can see the WBO2 bung in your downpipe, and the boost gauge is a simple tap of the vacuum line.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    18PSI is well within the efficiency range of a TD04. Many people run 20PSI on a StageII tune.
    20psi that lasts for about a pinpoint's worth of "time" in the RPM range.

It also appears that the Grimmspeed BCS is set up for two-port operation. Not sure why though.

Also the vacuum/boost line going to the intake post-MAF...what is that hooked up to? A non-working stock BCS? Do you know if that is air-tight? If not, that's a post-MAF air leak, which is nasty bad.

That refurb back to "somewhat stock" on that car is half-assed, IMO. I'd be leary of other things lurking in that engine bay!
    Last edited by 2:43AM; 11-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.

there should be 3 nipples on the grimmspeed bcs the 3rd one which according to your pic has no line coming off it should be connected to the intake post maf where the stock bcs's line is hooked up... why the p.o. didnt do this i dont know

the pshh sound will happen with the stock bpv(which you have) and an intake

usually short ram intakes dont cause as much of an issue with the wrx's as lots of the cai do but im not too familiar with that one so do a search?

that downpipe is aftermarket

with a grimmspeed bcs untuned for you'd be overboosting like crazy and hitting fuel cut any time you went wot ur engine woulda probably blowed up by now... so its probably tuned for however theres no way of us telling if its properly tuned

so fix the bcs hose issues(there should be a diagram on the grimmspeed site) and get the tune checked out

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Ok,

I hooked up the BCS correctly and the car seems to be running the same (fine) no rough idle, bucking, cutting-out, etc. So I will assume I have a STG 2 WRX. I do not plan to pay to see if I have a tune or not, I will just drive it. I plan to get a boost gauge and WB A/F within the week. I am no longer nervous about it blowing up.

My only question left:

If I remove the a/m intake and replace it back to stock; how would that effect the car if the car was tuned with the a/m intake installed?

I Support ClubWRX
    I hooked up the BCS correctly and the car seems to be running the same (fine) no rough idle, bucking, cutting-out, etc. So I will assume I have a STG 2 WRX. I do not plan to pay to see if I have a tune or not, I will just drive it. I plan to get a boost gauge and WB A/F within the week. I am no longer nervous about it blowing up.
    To have a few dyno pulls to ensure the safety of the tune will only run you ~$100; a motor rebuild is $3000+. I would urge you to reconsider.

If I remove the a/m intake and replace it back to stock; how would that effect the car if the car was tuned with the a/m intake installed?
    Fueling may be messed up.

UNYSOC

Getting a better IC aside, I'm not sure how well the plastic end tanks on the 06+ WRX's hold up to 20, or even 18 psi however. I've heard, hearsay, of the LGT crowd popping end tanks at 17 psi. I'm at 16 psi currently, may go up to 17 psi when I get tuned again, but at 3500' it starts to get inefficient around that amount of boost.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    Getting a better IC aside, I'm not sure how well the plastic end tanks on the 06+ WRX's hold up to 20, or even 18 psi however. I've heard, hearsay, of the LGT crowd popping end tanks at 17 psi. I'm at 16 psi currently, may go up to 17 psi when I get tuned again, but at 3500' it starts to get inefficient around that amount of boost.
    not saying your wrong or anything but on my old legacy i ran 17-18 psi daily with 20 psi here and there out of a td-04 with an 06 tmic and had no problems for over a year and still running with another owner after 2+

i have also heard of the 08+wrx and lgt tmic having end tank problems where the crimps get stretched causing leaks or even the end tanks to blow off so some people j.b. weld them and run them like that... it doesnt seem to be the plastic thats the problem its the style of crimp that holds the end tank on

-Alex
    Last edited by mexicanzero; 11-12-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

To have a few dyno pulls to ensure the safety of the tune will only run you ~$100; a motor rebuild is $3000+. I would urge you to reconsider.
    I have a 2 yr powertrain warranty. I also have a letter from the dealership saying these a/m parts were installed at time of purchase.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 2 yr powertrain warranty. I also have a letter from the dealership saying these a/m parts were installed at time of purchase.
    Who is the warranty through?

UNYSOC

Who is the warranty through?
    Its a CPO warranty. (certified pre-owned) through the dealership.

I Support ClubWRX
    Its a CPO warranty. (certified pre-owned) through the dealership.
    Who's backing the warranty? Subaru? 3rd party?

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast