From BMW to Subaru?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on From BMW to Subaru? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all!! I have been lurking on here for a few weeks now and finally decided to join and introduce ...

From BMW to Subaru?

Hey all!!

I have been lurking on here for a few weeks now and finally decided to join and introduce myself.

I'm 23, from South Jersey and have been into and modding cars since I could first drive. My current car and also my favorite that I've ever owned is a 2001 BMW 330ci. I have had SO much fun with this car and it has treated me just as good. I have won a BMW only car show with it, also. That was my first show ever.

All info/pics ect of it can be found in this thread:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...651&highlight=

I am currently selling my beloved Bimmer to buy a '11 Rex hatch. I have always wanted a Subie and was actually trying to get an STi before I bought the Bimmer. It seems like now is the right time to get a more practical vehicle for myself and the Rex is perfect for my needs. I kind of have a really hard time fitting my Aussie into the back of it to go hiking and all. I've had the chance to test drive a sedan and fell in love with it. So now I am in the process of selling my car, and even considering trading it in .

I would just like some re-assurance that I am making the right move. This would be my first Japanese car ever. I see a ton of posts about rattles and bad paint quality and things of that nature. My car is dead silent on the road, even for a 10yr old car. I am a real do-it-yourself type of person and would definitely try to find fixes for the little things that annoy me. My main concern is the build quality of the Subie vs my 10yr old Bimmer.

I hope to make my purchase soon and really be able to contribute to this community and meet a bunch of good people. Sorry for the ridiculously long post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    I kind of have a really hard time fitting my Aussie into the back of it to go hiking and all.
    It'll fit fine in the Subaru, but I will always opt for leather if given a choice because fur somehow weaves itself into the seat fabric and it can't be vacuumed out, because it's embedded -- it either needs to be rolled out or picked out. Never again for me; leather all the way, and scratches or scrapes from claws be damned.

I would just like some re-assurance that I am making the right move.
    Nobody can give you this realistically though, it's a very personal decision. I'd keep the BMW until it dies for good, then go buy a Subaru or something (parts cost abroad is too high for the BMW, I can't justify the expense; BMW reliability has been falling since 1989, and so on).

I see a ton of posts about rattles and bad paint quality and things of that nature.
    They are true.

My car is dead silent on the road, even for a 10yr old car.
    The Subaru will only sound like the BMW when neither is running. The Subaru will tend to run more frequently than the BMW though.

My main concern is the build quality of the Subie vs my 10yr old Bimmer.
    Subaru build quality is moderate. Subaru reliability is very high. Imagine if they assembled them with more care...

I hope to make my purchase soon and really be able to contribute to this community and meet a bunch of good people. Sorry for the ridiculously long post.
    Welcome. People are always interested in meeting new members. Enjoy the forum.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-10-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The leather/cloth debate has been on my mind for a while. Then I realized that even though I have leather now, I still use one of those seat protectors for dogs and have no hair or scratches on my back seat, and I'd do that with the Subie too, so as much as I love leather, I don't NEED it.

The main reason I want to get rid of the Bimmer mainly is practicality. My car is lowered on 18s with an exhaust and tinted windows. It is not too comfortable to sit in for long drives anymore and I can't really fit all my stuff in it. I also am planning to propose to my girlfriend within the year and we will be looking to buy a house in 2-3 years. I have a very stable income and definitely want to get the car before we get a house.

The BMW has been nothing short of the best car ever to me. It has never failed me in 2.5years of ownership. Yea, the parts are a little more expensive, but it's not bad considering what you get from it.

To be honest I am meticulous with my cars, so I don't see the paint getting destroyed while in my care.

Finally, thanks SD for addressing all of my questions.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the quick reply. The leather/cloth debate has been on my mind for a while. Then I realized that even though I have leather now, I still use one of those seat protectors for dogs and have no hair or scratches on my back seat, and I'd do that with the Subie too, so as much as I love leather, I don't NEED it.
    I use those too. Some makes sell an OEM seat cover (our Honda has it, for example) but I don't think Subaru offers such a thing. You might look into a cargo tray though, it can't hurt. It's rubberized.

The main reason I want to get rid of the Bimmer mainly is practicality. My car is lowered on 18s with an exhaust and tinted windows. It is not too comfortable to sit in for long drives anymore and I can't really fit all my stuff in it. I also am planning to propose to my girlfriend within the year and we will be looking to buy a house in 2-3 years. I have a very stable income and definitely want to get the car before we get a house.
    Is it feasible to sell your wheels, lift the car back to stock, and when you merge households just use your wife's car for practical stuff? That might be cheapest if your current car is solid enough to age well. It sounds like you really like your car and it'd be a shame if you could keep it somehow but didn't.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Is it feasible to sell your wheels, lift the car back to stock, and when you merge households just use your wife's car for practical stuff? That might be cheapest if your current car is solid enough to age well. It sounds like you really like your car and it'd be a shame if you could keep it somehow but didn't.

Well I am not exactly in any rush to sell my car. I'm not going to take ridiculous offers on it. I will only trade it in if the dealership gives me a deal on the trade in and on the rex that I can't refuse. I am just really hoping that it works out and I have the opportunity to get it. I can and probably will just keep my car until a deal like that comes along.

That's actually a very good idea. I haven't considered that exact route. What I've always planned in doing is when I get my own house to get myself a "project car" (i use that term very loosely because it's definition is more of what a project car is to you than anything). What I would ideally like to do is go for an e46 M3 and use it as a dedicated track/show car.

I do really love my car, mainly because I have no reason not to. I really really appreciate you looking to see if this is the best financial route for me to take. I'm not too used to things like that on other forums.

Love the keyboard mod in your trunk of the BMW

Welcome! And certainly looks a nice clean E46
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I wrote the above after just checking your car out...

Now...I think you should look at it as wants vs. needs...

Practicality wise, a WRX is virtually unparalled, especially if you get the hatch. Haul plenty of stuff, yet still get the WRX performance.

Reliability and general cost of ownership are cheaper than a BMW (I've had a BMW myself, '96 e36 318i) and even that was expensive...Subarus are very reliable in the engine and drivetrain, as well as most other parts. You will hear its rattles and creaks and thuds and bumps, but you didn't buy a Subaru to be the roadmaster touring car that a BMW or Mercedes is, right? You get used to it...The paint isn't the greatest, but it is improved. If you take care of it, it will be fine. Rock chips happen to any car...make sure to wash of the bird **** as soon as you can.

Performance...that's where these cars shine. That is why people get them. They want the feeling of having a drivers car, where you get incredible feedback from the suspension and you get a great drivers experience. No doubt you get that from a BMW, but its a little more "raw" in a WRX. Not to mention...you live in South Jersey...our winters can be pretty harsh down here. The safety and AWD of the Subaru is also one of the biggest reasons I have one...(and Boost )

Weigh your financial situations...if you can hold out and see that as the best financial situation (especially if saving for a ring, a marriage, a house, etc)...then perhaps keeping the BMW is best. But if you can sell it, not lose any money, and stay on top and not struggle with a new WRX car payment, then it might not be a bad idea.

Best thing right now, go test drive yourself a new WRX (or even used if you may want to go that route?) and see just how much you like it...you never know but you may hate it! Then to take a step further, talk finances with the dealer and see what THEY can do for YOU. Best line I ever used in buying a car was after they asked "what can we do to get you in this car?" I replied, "Well, what CAN you do to put ME in this car? I don't have to have it." I drove away in a 2007 STI Limited with a ****-eating grin
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Love the keyboard mod in your trunk of the BMW

Welcome! And certainly looks a nice clean E46
    Thanks. It was a PITA to get it working properly, but I did it.

Oh, BTW, I love your boobie avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I wrote the above after just checking your car out...

Now...I think you should look at it as wants vs. needs...

Practicality wise, a WRX is virtually unparalled, especially if you get the hatch. Haul plenty of stuff, yet still get the WRX performance.

Reliability and general cost of ownership are cheaper than a BMW (I've had a BMW myself, '96 e36 318i) and even that was expensive...Subarus are very reliable in the engine and drivetrain, as well as most other parts. You will hear its rattles and creaks and thuds and bumps, but you didn't buy a Subaru to be the roadmaster touring car that a BMW or Mercedes is, right? You get used to it...The paint isn't the greatest, but it is improved. If you take care of it, it will be fine. Rock chips happen to any car...make sure to wash of the bird **** as soon as you can.

Performance...that's where these cars shine. That is why people get them. They want the feeling of having a drivers car, where you get incredible feedback from the suspension and you get a great drivers experience. No doubt you get that from a BMW, but its a little more "raw" in a WRX. Not to mention...you live in South Jersey...our winters can be pretty harsh down here. The safety and AWD of the Subaru is also one of the biggest reasons I have one...(and Boost )

Weigh your financial situations...if you can hold out and see that as the best financial situation (especially if saving for a ring, a marriage, a house, etc)...then perhaps keeping the BMW is best. But if you can sell it, not lose any money, and stay on top and not struggle with a new WRX car payment, then it might not be a bad idea.

Best thing right now, go test drive yourself a new WRX (or even used if you may want to go that route?) and see just how much you like it...you never know but you may hate it! Then to take a step further, talk finances with the dealer and see what THEY can do for YOU. Best line I ever used in buying a car was after they asked "what can we do to get you in this car?" I replied, "Well, what CAN you do to put ME in this car? I don't have to have it." I drove away in a 2007 STI Limited with a ****-eating grin
    As far as finances go I have done A LOT of number crunching and already contacted about 5 dealerships. I know, without a doubt, I can afford it. I have test driven one, and it definitely sold me on the car. I like your advice on what to say to them lol. I am going tomorrow to one dealership, which I have already built a pretty good relationship between myself and the sales associate, just to see what they will offer me for the Bimmer. I'm also doing the same on Friday. Hopefully one of them can make me an offer I can't refuse.

On a subie: The paint is crap, the interior is plastic, the radio is a tin can, and if you want quiet, it's going to take a LOT of dynamat.

On the other hand, if all that luxury doesn't matter (except of course, on the seats and steering wheel where it matters), then subaru has a car that will give you fun, Fun around corners, fun when starting up, fun to mod, fun everywhere around; it's a fun car.

So if you want comfort, you may want to stay with your german cars. If, on the other hand, you just want a raw, exciting, fun driving experience, you've come to the right place.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I also owned a BMW and am now a proud owner of a 2011 WRX. I had a 2008 335i. It was a beautiful car and i totally babied it but everything about it was expensive, so it had to go. Now this subie will be my fun daily driver, cant wait til i past the 1k break-in miles.

Had a new '99 323i and followed that up with a new 2002 WRX. Different cars but both great - they were both fun to drive.

More recently, I just traded in an '09 135i for a new '11 WRX. Really like the Bimmer but like the Rex more. Both fun to drive (the 323 was better than the 135 imo) but the Rex is more fun.

Rex's have more 'soul' and are more practical and fun in the snow and ice. I don't think twice about throwing my Rex around a corner sideways - the Bimmer I do (maybe that's not a good thing - lol).

Buy the Rex, drive it and don't regret it.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm going to a local dealer today to see what they can give me on a trade in. Hopefully they can give me some really good numbers. Plus I have VIP pricing

I'll post in here when I get home and let you know what they offer me.

Hey all!!

I see a ton of posts about rattles and bad paint quality and things of that nature.

My 2010 WRX only has 2,000 miles on it, but to date it is rattle free. Paint is still perfect, too. Of course I don't track the car, or drive off-road or on gravel roads much, and that helps keep things tight and tidy.

Best of luck!

Where abouts South Jersey are you anyway?

rattles are the worst I use dynamat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast