REPLACEMENT BULB FOR MY '11 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

This is a discussion on REPLACEMENT BULB FOR MY '11 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been browsing all the threads lately, in hope I can get some info on a very good replacement ...

  1. #1
    Registered User BANSwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    131

    REPLACEMENT BULB FOR MY '11 WRX

    I have been browsing all the threads lately, in hope I can get some info on a very good replacement bulb.

    -I have read about HIR, but I have to do something on it to fit... but nonetheless they say it's really good..

    -I also checked philips brand & they have a crystal vision that is white in color & bright...

    -there are a lot actually, i.e. osram, nagra, piaa, etc..

    I am looking for bright WHITE like HID but I dont want to go for plug-n-play HID because I dont think I can install it. (I dont think some retailer thats selling HID kit will install it) Any input/pics will be appreciated.

    PS.
    If there is someone on the board from clevelend area that can help with HID install you can chime in.

    Thank you!
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

    budding audiophile

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    HID is very easy. Its basically plug n play. You just have to have it mounted somewhere that's kinda the hardest part finding where to keep the small ballast.

  4. #3
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    plug n play HID's are illegal, and wont improve your headlight function.. just drastically increase the amount of glare you blast oncoming drivers with.

    If you just want to change the light color go with a halogen bulb of the tint you want. I think its sylvania that makes the sliverstar bulbs.. I've worked with them and they have that bright white output you're looking for without over rating the wattage.

    http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H11-S...=pd_sim_auto_2

    should be able to get em at you're local autozone or advanced auto too.

    Just make sure what ever you pick is not a over wattage bulb as they WILL melt the housing. Cheapest I found replacement housings recently was $300< EACH.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  5. #4
    Registered User economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    HID is very easy. Its basically plug n play. You just have to have it mounted somewhere that's kinda the hardest part finding where to keep the small ballast.
    The HID topic is a lot more complicated than it being easy plug n play--there are many different opinions, many bad setups, and a lot of incorrect information. Please spend some time searching and draw your own conclusion before bringing up the debate again.

  6. #5
    Registered User BANSwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    HID is very easy. Its basically plug n play. You just have to have it mounted somewhere that's kinda the hardest part finding where to keep the small ballast.
    hey yorty, you upgraded to limited? hehehe. right move! so, when you say easy, its really easy? what brand did you use before?

    thanks
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

    budding audiophile

  7. #6
    Registered User BANSwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    The HID topic is a lot more complicated than it being easy plug n play--there are many different opinions, many bad setups, and a lot of incorrect information. Please spend some time searching and draw your own conclusion before bringing up the debate again.
    I totally understand.

    I have my conclusion before I began with this thread... and this is not a debate! we are here to find solutions...
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

    budding audiophile

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    Yea, I upgraded to the limited, the leathers def worth it! It's really not that hard to install.. There is a ballast and if you get the right size everything will plug in directly to the stock socket. Its sooo worth it. HID's look great at night especially with projector headlights. Normal bulbs can not even compare to what u get outta HID's + u can pick any kalven ranging from 4000k to 10,000k. my favorite is around 8000k or 6000k where its slightly white with a blue tint. {non vendor link} has great HID's for a good price. and HID's are not illegal every Mercedes and luxury car/ including my limited WRX I just ordered come with HID's so how are they illegal? When i said plug n play i meant its as easy as plug n play referring to it... theirs not actual plug n play HID's i don't even know if that exists... {non vendor link} check em out straight from china
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-11-2010 at 09:05 AM.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hidcomparehome.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	90695

  10. #9
    Registered User BANSwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    Yea, I upgraded to the limited, the leathers def worth it! It's really not that hard to install.. There is a ballast and if you get the right size everything will plug in directly to the stock socket. Its sooo worth it. HID's look great at night especially with projector headlights. Normal bulbs can not even compare to what u get outta HID's + u can pick any kalven ranging from 4000k to 10,000k. my favorite is around 8000k or 6000k where its slightly white with a blue tint. {non vendor link} has great HID's for a good price. and HID's are not illegal every Mercedes and luxury car/ including my limited WRX I just ordered come with HID's so how are they illegal? When i said plug n play i meant its as easy as plug n play referring to it... theirs not actual plug n play HID's i don't even know if that exists... {non vendor link} check em out straight from china

    I think mangostick was referring to oem halogen that is coverted to HID. they really do glare to oncoming motorist. BUT my decision to go HID if ever is that we have projector headlight not reflector
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-11-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

    budding audiophile

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    40
    I just picked up my '11 WRX a month ago and have been following the lighting topic on this forum for a while. My thoughts and observations after having owned, and in some cases still owning, Porsche's, MB's and Acura's with HID as OEM.

    1) I always thought that mangostick was a little overbearing when he chimes in on most if not all HID threads about sticking in plug n play HID's.

    2) Being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I took what he says with a grain of salt.

    3) Actually having driven the Rex for a month now, I can honestly say that the stock halogen low beams suck. The stock high beams aren't too bad but could be improved.

    4) I adapted an H9 bulb to fit in the stock H11 socket. Not a big improvement, but it served to really highlite the poor distribution on the stock low beam lens.

    5) I can't see how sticking a plug n play HID into that crappy low beam stock focusing system can work. More light? You bet. Still crappy distribution - uh huh.

    So, I give mangostick his dues. I wouldn't stick an HID plug n play into the stock lens either. I can light cigarettes with a flamethrower, but why would I?

    You might see better and you might not get flashes from oncoming traffic but it still makes it a band aid 'fix' that annoys others still the same. I don't flash all the pickups around here with their HID retrofits - it's not that they're too bright - they're just ****ty looking and point out that they're bastardized solution.

    Anyway - hats off to mangostick. Get an OEM HID system or stay with a good bulb. HID retrofit screams ricer.

    For the record, my CLK500 had great HID's, the Acura low beams were pretty good but the Porsche Bi-Xenon's were not worth the cost.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    59
    heard brightest HID are 4600k or something but that's kinda yellowish..

  13. #12
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    I just picked up my '11 WRX a month ago and have been following the lighting topic on this forum for a while. My thoughts and observations after having owned, and in some cases still owning, Porsche's, MB's and Acura's with HID as OEM.

    1) I always thought that mangostick was a little overbearing when he chimes in on most if not all HID threads about sticking in plug n play HID's.

    2) Being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I took what he says with a grain of salt.

    3) Actually having driven the Rex for a month now, I can honestly say that the stock halogen low beams suck. The stock high beams aren't too bad but could be improved.

    4) I adapted an H9 bulb to fit in the stock H11 socket. Not a big improvement, but it served to really highlite the poor distribution on the stock low beam lens.

    5) I can't see how sticking a plug n play HID into that crappy low beam stock focusing system can work. More light? You bet. Still crappy distribution - uh huh.

    So, I give mangostick his dues. I wouldn't stick an HID plug n play into the stock lens either. I can light cigarettes with a flamethrower, but why would I?

    You might see better and you might not get flashes from oncoming traffic but it still makes it a band aid 'fix' that annoys others still the same. I don't flash all the pickups around here with their HID retrofits - it's not that they're too bright - they're just ****ty looking and point out that they're bastardized solution.

    Anyway - hats off to mangostick. Get an OEM HID system or stay with a good bulb. HID retrofit screams ricer.

    For the record, my CLK500 had great HID's, the Acura low beams were pretty good but the Porsche Bi-Xenon's were not worth the cost.
    Glad you saw your way through to the logic behind the arguments against HID's in stock halogen housings. The people who think they're doing themselves favors by installing plug and play kits really aren't, and anyone who actually knows what they're talking about will verify that.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  14. #13
    KHP
    KHP is offline
    Registered User KHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    heard brightest HID are 4600k or something but that's kinda yellowish..
    Lighting efficiency is greater between 4300K and 5000K. All HID's are bright its just they loose efficiency the higher you go. The blue tint of the higher K's tend to just bounce around and reflect over surfaces especially during inclement wet weather. This makes it even worse for other motorists (really bad glare) because 5000K+ HID's are usually installed in retro fit vehicles. I don't think I've seen any OEM's install over 5000K in their cars.

    People who retro fit their vehicles usually try to copy the purpleish-blue hue that real HID projectors emit. People don't realize that it's generated by the ultra sharp cutoff that the HID projectors lens mechanism have. The closer your eyes are to the cutoff the bluer/purpler the color gets (Light refraction through the narrow cutoff), then when you pass the point below the cutoff you get bombarded by the full beam of the HID(White with a very slight tint of yellow). This shouldn't happen often on a projector designed for HID's they're designed to minimize the effect. Heck... Subaru is nice enough to provide a leveling mechanism to aim the beam down in case the car is loaded heavily in the back to avoid blinding on coming traffic in their HID equipped vehicles.

    I'm glad that I'm not the only advocate for not retrofitting HID's. People don't realize that there's more to it than just installing a bulb and the ballast. Unfortunately people will do what they can with their vehicles so I just try to tell them to aim their headlights down to minimize glare.

    Stock Subaru HID looks like below:

    5 Seconds cool start
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...8&d=1288589128

    60 Seconds warmed up
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...9&d=1288589128
    Last edited by KHP; 11-10-2010 at 09:06 PM.

  15. #14
    Registered User BANSwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    I just picked up my '11 WRX a month ago and have been following the lighting topic on this forum for a while. My thoughts and observations after having owned, and in some cases still owning, Porsche's, MB's and Acura's with HID as OEM.

    1) I always thought that mangostick was a little overbearing when he chimes in on most if not all HID threads about sticking in plug n play HID's.

    2) Being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I took what he says with a grain of salt.

    3) Actually having driven the Rex for a month now, I can honestly say that the stock halogen low beams suck. The stock high beams aren't too bad but could be improved.

    4) I adapted an H9 bulb to fit in the stock H11 socket. Not a big improvement, but it served to really highlite the poor distribution on the stock low beam lens.

    5) I can't see how sticking a plug n play HID into that crappy low beam stock focusing system can work. More light? You bet. Still crappy distribution - uh huh.

    So, I give mangostick his dues. I wouldn't stick an HID plug n play into the stock lens either. I can light cigarettes with a flamethrower, but why would I?

    You might see better and you might not get flashes from oncoming traffic but it still makes it a band aid 'fix' that annoys others still the same. I don't flash all the pickups around here with their HID retrofits - it's not that they're too bright - they're just ****ty looking and point out that they're bastardized solution.

    Anyway - hats off to mangostick. Get an OEM HID system or stay with a good bulb. HID retrofit screams ricer.

    For the record, my CLK500 had great HID's, the Acura low beams were pretty good but the Porsche Bi-Xenon's were not worth the cost.


    BIG thanks!


    I have an '08 HONDA CRV that I replaced the bulb (philips x-treme) they really do make a big difference. NOT sure if they have bulb for H11.

    About the H11 that you have replaced with H9, I am not sure what you were saying about light distribution.. (don't they have same lumen? )

    What brand did you get for the replacement bulb?
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

    budding audiophile

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    I think mangostick was referring to oem halogen that is coverted to HID. they really do glare to oncoming motorist. BUT my decision to go HID if ever is that we have projector headlight not reflector
    Being projectors has nothing to do with anything. The same problem is still there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    Yea, I upgraded to the limited, the leathers def worth it! It's really not that hard to install.. There is a ballast and if you get the right size everything will plug in directly to the stock socket. Its sooo worth it. HID's look great at night especially with projector headlights. Normal bulbs can not even compare to what u get outta HID's + u can pick any kalven ranging from 4000k to 10,000k. my favorite is around 8000k or 6000k where its slightly white with a blue tint. {non vendor link} has great HID's for a good price. and HID's are not illegal every Mercedes and luxury car/ including my limited WRX I just ordered come with HID's so how are they illegal? When i said plug n play i meant its as easy as plug n play referring to it... theirs not actual plug n play HID's i don't even know if that exists... {non vendor link} check em out straight from china
    Keep your misinformed, uneducated advice to yourself. HID kits are 100% illegal and have been for years. And cramming bulbs of into optics that were designed for a different form of lighting as about as dumb as you can go. The explanations and science behind it has been readily available for a long time and posted time and time again. Just because you choose to act out on stupidity, it doesn't mean you should advise others to do the same.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-11-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Links removed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •