REPLACEMENT BULB FOR MY '11 WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on REPLACEMENT BULB FOR MY '11 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BANSwee Wrecks, what brand did you get for the H9? Is it possible that you post some ...

Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    Wrecks, what brand did you get for the H9? Is it possible that you post some pics taken during night?

BTW, somewhere I encoutered people suggest about HIR replacement. I emailed Max Lumen, here is the reply..

Hello- There is no HIR bulb that replaces an H11. You can use HIR9011s to replace your high beams, and some Subies use HIR9012s in their fog lights. I can't look up 2011 cars, so check in your owner's manual.

Thanks for asking,
    Max

I don't remember offhand, but it was nothing special, just a regular 65W off the shelf replacement, maybe a GE?

To be honest, I don't think a picture would show the difference as I am having a hard time seeing it myself, either by looking at the light it casts or by standing 100' in front of the car and looking at the left and right sides (I only replaced one bulb as a trial). The H9 bulb is marginally brighter to my eyes.

I might try a PIAA or such up market replacement for the other one to see if that is much better.....

You can adapt the H9 to fit the H11 in about five minutes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    I don't remember offhand, but it was nothing special, just a regular 65W off the shelf replacement, maybe a GE?

To be honest, I don't think a picture would show the difference as I am having a hard time seeing it myself, either by looking at the light it casts or by standing 100' in front of the car and looking at the left and right sides (I only replaced one bulb as a trial). The H9 bulb is marginally brighter to my eyes.

I might try a PIAA or such up market replacement for the other one to see if that is much better.....

[I]You can adapt the H9 to fit the H11 in about five minutes[/I].

About the 65W H9, did you consult somebody regarding the stock wirings? Do you think we'll have problem with it in the long run? I'm just not comfortable asking the service dept. from dealers 'coz they would just say its impossible.

You have to trim something on the H9 right?
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

About the 65W H9, did you consult somebody regarding the stock wirings? Do you think we'll have problem with it in the long run? I'm just not comfortable asking the service dept. from dealers 'coz they would just say its impossible.

You have to trim something on the H9 right?
    I didn't do a wiring check - living on the edge I guess. Seriously, technically, if Subaru has done their homework then if it doesn't blow a fuse then the wiring should handle it (the fuse should be the weakest link).

Check the views of the H9 vs the H11 here:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

There are two mods: one is having to remove the upper middle plastic tab in the electrical connector of the bulb itself on the H9. When you look at it vs the H11 you will see what I mean (the picture on the link above only shows the lower tab). I removed it with an X-acto knife and then carefully using a Dremel rotary tool.

The second mod is to reduce the width of the widest of the three metal tangs on the bulb which are used to locate and insert the bulb itself into the headlight housing. A good pair of diagonal cutters works well. You need to take maybe 1/16" or 1.5mm of that tab.

Hey - what type of amp is that in your avatar?
    Last edited by wrecks; 11-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I can understand how people argue about opinions. When people have to argue with someone over facts however, it is disturbing.
    And it is really disturbing when I start arguing with myself.

hey wreck. Its an integrated amp. (british company EXPOSURE). Are you into music?

going back to the thread, I don't know what the heck am I going to do now. hehehe. I obviously needs a better light 'coz I wear glasses. & snow is terrible here in Cleveland.

I think if Philips will have the x-treme power on H11 I would definitely buy. But right now I don't know if I should try something else... (you have said H9 was "marginally" better).

I didn't do a wiring check - living on the edge I guess. Seriously, technically, if Subaru has done their homework then if it doesn't blow a fuse then the wiring should handle it (the fuse should be the weakest link).

Check the views of the H9 vs the H11 here:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

There are two mods: one is having to remove the upper middle plastic tab in the electrical connector of the bulb itself on the H9. When you look at it vs the H11 you will see what I mean (the picture on the link above only shows the lower tab). I removed it with an X-acto knife and then carefully using a Dremel rotary tool.

The second mod is to reduce the width of the widest of the three metal tangs on the bulb which are used to locate and insert the bulb itself into the headlight housing. A good pair of diagonal cutters works well. You need to take maybe 1/16" or 1.5mm of that tab.

Hey - what type of amp is that in your avatar?
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

KHP
    If you drive a lot in snow you may want to replace your fog lamps bulbs with "PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow" (HB 9006) they are a bit pricey, but in reality shining a white light on a white surface (snow) the majority of the light you're shining gets reflected up and away from you. Selective yellow pierces through fog/snow/rain a lot better as well as illuminates ground snow to the point where you can see the contours of the snow very clearly. Just make sure you only use your fogs during inclement weather. Around here I see everyone blasting their fogs . I don't think they realize that the low beams over power the fogs during normal driving .

Why don't you try Silverstars in your brights? Sylvania manufactures Silverstar 9005 bulbs that work well. As for the low beams I'm not sure if they have Silver Star H11. The last time I looked they didn't have any. Other manufacturers probably have some, but I'll let the others handle that one.

hey wreck. Its an integrated amp. (british company EXPOSURE). Are you into music?

going back to the thread, I don't know what the heck am I going to do now. hehehe. I obviously needs a better light 'coz I wear glasses. & snow is terrible here in Cleveland.

I think if Philips will have the x-treme power on H11 I would definitely buy. But right now I don't know if I should try something else... (you have said H9 was "marginally" better).
    Yeah, I'm sort of stuck on options too......

As for music, yep, love listening to all sorts of stuff. I've got a Bryston integrated amp myself with Revel and REL speakers - Rega CD and a SqueezeBox that talks to my Mac for internet feeds and iTunes. Built myself a dedicated music room a couple of years ago when we changed houses - great place to unwind.

I've got to go look up EXPOSURE and see what you have - it looked familiar.......

Yeah, I'm sort of stuck on options too......

As for music, yep, love listening to all sorts of stuff. I've got a Bryston integrated amp myself with Revel and REL speakers - Rega CD and a SqueezeBox that talks to my Mac for internet feeds and iTunes. Built myself a dedicated music room a couple of years ago when we changed houses - great place to unwind.
    I've got to go look up EXPOSURE and see what you have - it looked familiar.......
    WOW! It's nice to know car guys that love music! hehehe. One of the moderattor here "SD JR" is also into music. Sometimes its too much to spend something on music gears,, BUT to love both music & CAR-- disaster! . hehe. I actually boxed & keepsafe all my music gear (I have 2 kids now, & space issues)

I see you have chosen your gear carefully--all excellent choice. What rega do you have (apollo/saturn)?

@KHP Why don't you try Silverstars in your brights? Sylvania manufactures Silverstar 9005 bulbs that work well. As for the low beams I'm not sure if they have Silver Star H11

I have read a lot of reviews that they do not light the road as to what they have claimed-- they probably have "marginal" improvement. Also, some reported bulb burnt for just 3 mos & as short as 1 mo.

I really hope that Phillips release an H11 extreme power bulb..

PS. I know this is a stupid question, have anyone tried an automatic car wash? Is this OK (open hood scoop)? hehehe
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

Apollo (why did I feel like saying 'Marco' after that??!!)

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    If you just want to change the light color go with a halogen bulb of the tint you want. I think its sylvania that makes the sliverstar bulbs.. I've worked with them and they have that bright white output you're looking for without over rating the wattage.
    Silverstars are the worst hype product for lighting and safety. Their actual output is below other halogen bulbs at stock wattage (even other Sylvania bulbs have better output), and GE Nighthawks are better than the silverstars by a mile.

Additionally, the lifespan of SilverStars is terrible. In multiple vehicles, I gave them a shot. I never had a set last more than 9 months. Most lasted less than 6. This is over the last 8 years and on/in at least 7 different vehicles.

If you look on danielstern, even he bashes them. The European Osram bulbs are way better.

I am no expert on your anti-HID stance, but before you recommend a particular halogen product, make sure that you recommend something that isn't a crap product.

I'm surprised no one simply touched on why the drop in hid's are bad.. long and short.. its all on Dan Stern's web pages, and its extremely accurate data.

simpleton explanation is that the light source (hid vs halogen) comes from a different point in relation to the shape and location of the reflector and optics .. so.. the light thrown from a different point into the reflector puts it on a different point downrange (out in front of the car) ..

Now, hid's have a arc, halogens have a filament ..they both throw light very differently. There are also different orientations of how the arc or filament is aligned in each type of bulb (why they have different bases also .. to make sure they align the same every time) ... all of those variables change how the light hits the reflector and thus how the reflector needs to be built to put the light on the road.

Since hid's and halogens have different locations and patterns for the SOURCE of light, the reflectors and/or optics have to be different for the light to go where its supposed to in front of the car.

This is why "drop in" HID kits are illegal and dangerous. Halogen reflectors with HID bulbs create copious amounts of glare. Even Halogen projectors create a great deal of glare with a HID bulb.

FACTORY or OEM hid's are not Illegal because they're properly designed/tested and meet NHTSA safety regulations.

Every single one of those drop in kits have small print that reads "for off road use only" even if it says "50 state legal" .. thats the cya statement that relieves them of legal responsibility if you're dumb enough to run those hack jobs on the street.

wrecks; thanks for the kind words man, I've spent long hours researching this exact topic in search of improvement. I dont mean to come off as overbearing.. but.. well people really should know better and be skeptical about hype before they spend hard earned money to put people in danger.

BANSwee; fyi, the HIR bulbs that have been fitted to H11 applications were of a different designation and the bulb base was altered so they would fit. (while I'm not keen on this Idea, it has been proven to work) They work on a really cool concept where the IR spectrum is lost in a normal bulb so they reflect it back at the filament to make it burn hotter/more output on less wattage. Unfortunately it hasn't really caught on yet.

I found that info on Dan Stern's web page. I've also chatted with Dan on a few occasions directly. Great guy, extremely knowledgeable and if you email him he'll probably be the best guy to speak to about your given situation and needs.

forums are great for opinions (mine included even if it is a bit on the harsh side), but for factual data... always consult the professionals.

Oh.. and before I forget.. since my previous lighting endeavor was a german built car I was sourcing a lot of parts from europe. The sylvania EXTRAVISION bulbs are marketed in europe as "silverstars". They're in the purple and black packages at autozone/advanced auto. They work quite nicely but again on our cars the headlight reflector/optics design is just as much a problem as the light source (as Wrecks pointed out earlier).

do not mix them up with the silverstars they market here in the states.. they are not in any way the same. Any bulb with a dichroic filter (tint) on the bulb is going to have reduced light output. Period.. no way around that except to increase wattage.. and that melts stuff.
    Last edited by mangostick; 11-16-2010 at 01:24 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.