review my winter/snow tire seletion
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on review my winter/snow tire seletion within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As I wait for my 2011 STI DGM 5 door, I am planning my winter/snow tire purchase since winter will ...

review my winter/snow tire seletion

As I wait for my 2011 STI DGM 5 door, I am planning my winter/snow tire purchase since winter will be here when the car comes in and I want to head to the WVA slopes. Snow in my area of VA is moderate, sometime a lot and some times ice and a few inches. The mountains of West VA where I ski get a lot. Iíve never purchase tires from the Tire Rack before, but I want to keep south of $2K for wheels and tires. My selection so far is as follows:

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D (stock size) $892
    Motegi Racing MR118 $596
    My local installer $140

Total $1,628

Please provide some feedback/opinion of these choices.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have had the dunlop wintersports on for the last three weeks and we had are first small ice storm yesterday. They drive extremely well on drive pavement and worked great in the ice. Will see in deep snow. I think they will perform well. I love tire rack and think it is a great way to go.

I just ordered from Tire Rack last Friday - my third (or fourth?) time ordering from them. Great service and a price that is either the best or darn close.

I just ordered a 16" set up, which was one reason for getting a WRX over an STI, which can only take 17's (pls don't tell me otherwise! lol).

My goal was to get something which had very good ice and snow ratings and I didn't give much consideration to dry pavement handling, noise, etc. After reading their tests, I'm getting General Altimax 205/60-16's mounted on Moda D12's, which were reasonably light and decent looking, especially for winters. Everything, shipped to my door for just a few buck over $1000.

The Altimax's are studdable but I didn't order them that way (still may do that though).

Your choice is definitely more balanced than mine in that it looks like a very good dry set up yet will do duty on snow/ice, leaning towards better on ice than on snow due to sticking to stock size with the bigger foot print.

I think I am just expecting a crappier than normal winter here!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.