Aftermarket blue HID headlight / yellow fog lights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Aftermarket blue HID headlight / yellow fog lights within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, just picked up a 2011 WRX sedan and I love the way it looks and drives. Mine didn't ...

Aftermarket blue HID headlight / yellow fog lights

Hi guys, just picked up a 2011 WRX sedan and I love the way it looks and drives. Mine didn't come with HID lights so I wanted to find the simplest solution (replace a bulb instead of installing a kit) to getting that Xenon / blue / white look from the headlights. I also wanted to replace the fog lights with a bright yellow (kinda like these smiley faces Any suggestions on which bulbs to get? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can pick up bulbs at any pep boys or advanced auto, or anywhere car accessories are sold

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe the yellow fogs is a film like rock blocker type or a yellow tint

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

i recommend getting some from piaa. the h3s they are expensive but i hear they are worth it. i just have the yellow laminx covers and i dont think they are yellow enough but i get compliments from them. i also have the HIDs stock
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

how are the stock HID's? are they really bright? what Kalvin temp bulbs do they come with..are they more white or blue? On the limited are the low beams HID's including the fogs/highbeam also hid or just the low beam?

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    We ran silver stars for head lights and piaa for our fog lights on our bugeye. Im sure you can find aftermarket hids. I have aftermarket hids on my forester. White with small hint of blue = 6000k. If you want a more blue go with 8000k. Enjoy your new subie! And welcome to the club.
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 11-08-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I believe the yellow fogs is a film like rock blocker type or a yellow tint
    Yup....you can use yellow tint. Have a friend whom took that route.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    how are the stock HID's? are they really bright? what Kalvin temp bulbs do they come with..are they more white or blue? On the limited are the low beams HID's including the fogs/highbeam also hid or just the low beam?
    I like the stock HIDs. My friends tell me they are really blue but I think they just look really blue when you turn them on and when they get warmed up the look almost white. I think I read somewhere they are 4300k but I could be wrong so feel free to correct me. The fog lights in my opinion are worthless and only for looks bc they don't light anything except the very front of your car(atleast mine don't). The only thing that is HIDs are your low beams. They don't turn off tho when you use your brights. And your brights are also your daylight running lights. I'm thinking of turning those suckers yellow tho

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    HIDs are incompatible as highs (without bi-xenon) and foglights. No factory HID setup ever made came blue. They are all yellow-white.

KHP
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...7&d=1288589128

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...8&d=1288589128

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...9&d=1288589128

In order, Projector HID Lights off, Projector HID lights on 5 sec, and Projector HID lights on 60 second warm-up. I like the HID came with my WRX 2011 Limited. I would like to say they are 4300K(White with very slight tint of yellow like the sun). It's pretty much the ideal temperature for maximum illumination efficiency. Any higher than 5000K HID's actually lose lighting efficiency especially in wet weather, then they don't look like they illuminate at all.

Answering whether they're bright. If you look below the cut off of the projector for extended periods of time then it will damage your eyesight (Yes they are bright). For HID's color temperature depending on what color temperature you get is either focused for dressing up a car (above 5000K) I guess people like the blue color or for function sunlight color temperature (4300K to 5000K). At 4300K HID's light up everything on the road. Lane markers (lines) look like they glow in the dark as well as other obstacles.

HID's is used for low beams only.

Ohh... BTW... please think of other drivers on the road. If you do decide to install aftermarket HID kit on your car please lower your headlight adjustment down a couple of clicks for halogen projectors. Halogen reflectors and HID's are a big no-no .
    Last edited by KHP; 11-08-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by syoma View Post
    Hi guys, just picked up a 2011 WRX sedan and I love the way it looks and drives. Mine didn't come with HID lights so I wanted to find the simplest solution (replace a bulb instead of installing a kit) to getting that Xenon / blue / white look from the headlights. I also wanted to replace the fog lights with a bright yellow (kinda like these smiley faces Any suggestions on which bulbs to get? Thanks!
    Hey.

likewise I also want a replacement bulb on my '11. Do you guys have any recommendation on brands? Philips has this extreme white bulb, I also read somewhere about HIR (halogen infrared). Would like to hear from someone who did install a more bright bulb..

Thanks
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

I have had the PIAA yellow fog light bulbs in the past and was impressed, but Nokya (available on eBay) are bout half the price and have performance that I could not distinguish from the PIAAs in stock fog housings in my last 3 vehicles.

As for low beam drop-in HID kits, look to DDM. Slow shipping, but good prices (IME/O) and reliable for nearly 2 years in my Legacy.

You really do NOT want HIDs in high beams. Maybe HIRs, but not HIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    In order, Projector HID Lights off, Projector HID lights on 5 sec, and Projector HID lights on 60 second warm-up. I like the HID came with my WRX 2011 Limited. I would like to say they are 4300K(White with very slight tint of yellow like the sun). It's pretty much the ideal temperature for maximum illumination efficiency. Any higher than 5000K HID's actually lose lighting efficiency especially in wet weather, then they don't look like they illuminate at all.

Answering whether they're bright. If you look below the cut off of the projector for extended periods of time then it will damage your eyesight (Yes they are bright). For HID's color temperature depending on what color temperature you get is either focused for dressing up a car (above 5000K) I guess people like the blue color or for function sunlight color temperature (4300K to 5000K). At 4300K HID's light up everything on the road. Lane markers (lines) look like they glow in the dark as well as other obstacles.

HID's is used for low beams only.

Ohh... BTW... please think of other drivers on the road. If you do decide to install aftermarket HID kit on your car please lower your headlight adjustment down a couple of clicks for halogen projectors. Halogen reflectors and HID's are a big no-no .
    I just purchased my HID last day and really wanted to install that by myself. Thanks for the couple of tips you have here.This will help me a lot, will give a try tomorrow.

hey guys i just picked up my 2011 wrx and i want to install these fog light vinly overlays but i am having access issues how do you do remove these so you can work on em?

Quote Originally Posted by chefbabu View Post
    hey guys i just picked up my 2011 wrx and i want to install these fog light vinly overlays but i am having access issues how do you do remove these so you can work on em?
    I didn't remove mine. I just cleaned them as much as I could and then carefully put the overlays over them. I recommend you keep your foglights off tho when you do this as the vinyl becomes less stiff when it warms up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast