Should i buy it? 02 wrx w/ 116,000

This is a discussion on Should i buy it? 02 wrx w/ 116,000 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello folks, im new to the site and new to the wrx. Im ready to make on offer on an ...

Should i buy it? 02 wrx w/ 116,000

Hello folks, im new to the site and new to the wrx. Im ready to make on offer on an 02 wrx wagon with 116,000 miles, the cars completely stock and most all of the miles are highway miles. In my search for a wrx ive come across many ads selling a wrx with around 100,000 miles and a new engine or transmission. I know it depends on maintenance and driving habits but should i be concerned about a major problem with the 02 im looking at? Should i buy it?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!
    Please check out the stickies (FAQ's) in the http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/

Price is going to be a major factor in a WRX of this age and mileage. Also it's maintenance record, verify the timing belt service has been done on or before 105k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Welcome to ClubWRX!
    Please check out the stickies (FAQ's) in the http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/

Price is going to be a major factor in a WRX of this age and mileage. Also it's maintenance record, verify the timing belt service has been done on or before 105k miles.
    They'll take 6250, is that reasonable?

That's on the low end for a Bugeye these days.

What kind of work has been done to the car?

Please read this thread, it will be very helpful to you, especially the part on if the vin checks out
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

...or get the t-belt done any time soon. Maybe have them do it... I had mine done by the dealer at about 120k

Timing belt and oil are the two main causes of premature engine death in this age subie... take the turbo oil filter out for the oil (and always keep it filled up), and get the t-belt done every 105k.

Check my thread out (link in sig) for tips on checking out other aspects of the car's health.

Sounds like you may have a keeper, but then again, you may not. Good luck!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Check my thread out (link in sig) for tips on checking out other aspects of the car's health.
    That's a really comprehensive list. Thanks for making that!