Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 wrx sedan's exhaust is really loud on cold start

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wrxsti007 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just picked up my WRX in obsidian black pearl last week on Thursday. Too bad it rained a bunch in MA, now it's all dirty looking :unhappy:

Anyways, the weather is around upper 30's, low 40's, and whenever the car is idling at 1500 rpms on a cold start, the exhaust is reeeeeeeallly loud. One of my friends who stood outside told me that it was obnoxiously loud and really deep low bass. However, once it warms up and idles at around 700 or so, it's not as loud anymore. Is this a problem with the exhaust? If I get an aftermarket one, will it go away, or is this how it's normally suppose to be?

#2 ·
That's normal. It's common for the exhaust to be louder when cold. Any chance the car is parked between buildings or other cars? That might make it sound more boomy since the sound is reflecting.

Aftermarket exhaust will almost always make this worse since they're bigger/wider and the air has more volume to bounce around in.

I was actually shocked by how quiet the 11 WRX exhaust is. But it might be a comparison thing...what have you been driving until now? I was in an Evo 8 so that may explain why I think the WRX is basically silent lol.

#3 ·
My apartment driveway is between two houses, and at work I park in a garage, so that looks like it affects the sound.

I last drove a Celica and when that died I alternated between a Pontiac g5 and an Infiniti g35x. This is my first turbo/high performance car, so I guess it would sound really loud to me. My cousins have an STI and WRX, and said that I'll get used to it:)

#4 ·
Oh, yeah, then it's definitely normal. In a garage or between/next to a building the sound would be louder.

You'll learn to live with it...and love it. The boxer is such a nice sounding engine. :cool:

#10 ·
Because of the '11 quad-tips and the STI fenders, I'm seeing a lot of 08+ STI exhausts (cat-back) being relabeled as "08+ STI / 11 WRX".

Perrin for example has an 11 WRX cat-back which I got (still in box). Both on the site and on the box it has the SKU for the 08+ STI. The older WRXs didn't have the dual exit cutouts in the rear bumper but the 11's do so more stuff is fitting now.

Perrin: http://www.perrinperformance.com/pr...ack-Exhaust-for-Hatchback?category=6&model=41

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.