2011 wrx sedan's exhaust is really loud on cold start

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx sedan's exhaust is really loud on cold start within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, Just picked up my WRX in obsidian black pearl last week on Thursday. Too bad it rained a ...

2011 wrx sedan's exhaust is really loud on cold start

Hi all,

Just picked up my WRX in obsidian black pearl last week on Thursday. Too bad it rained a bunch in MA, now it's all dirty looking

Anyways, the weather is around upper 30's, low 40's, and whenever the car is idling at 1500 rpms on a cold start, the exhaust is reeeeeeeallly loud. One of my friends who stood outside told me that it was obnoxiously loud and really deep low bass. However, once it warms up and idles at around 700 or so, it's not as loud anymore. Is this a problem with the exhaust? If I get an aftermarket one, will it go away, or is this how it's normally suppose to be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's normal. It's common for the exhaust to be louder when cold. Any chance the car is parked between buildings or other cars? That might make it sound more boomy since the sound is reflecting.

Aftermarket exhaust will almost always make this worse since they're bigger/wider and the air has more volume to bounce around in.

I was actually shocked by how quiet the 11 WRX exhaust is. But it might be a comparison thing...what have you been driving until now? I was in an Evo 8 so that may explain why I think the WRX is basically silent lol.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    That's normal. It's common for the exhaust to be louder when cold. Any chance the car is parked between buildings or other cars? That might make it sound more boomy since the sound is reflecting.

Aftermarket exhaust will almost always make this worse since they're bigger/wider and the air has more volume to bounce around in.

I was actually shocked by how quiet the 11 WRX exhaust is. But it might be a comparison thing...what have you been driving until now? I was in an Evo 8 so that may explain why I think the WRX is basically silent lol.
    My apartment driveway is between two houses, and at work I park in a garage, so that looks like it affects the sound.

I last drove a Celica and when that died I alternated between a Pontiac g5 and an Infiniti g35x. This is my first turbo/high performance car, so I guess it would sound really loud to me. My cousins have an STI and WRX, and said that I'll get used to it

Oh, yeah, then it's definitely normal. In a garage or between/next to a building the sound would be louder.

You'll learn to live with it...and love it. The boxer is such a nice sounding engine.

That is normal for the car. There is resonance at that RPM range. Its really should not be much of an issue, as once the car warms up the idle RPM will drop out of that range and the exhaust note will quiet considerably.

I actually love the way it sounds on start up and while driving it. I've had a few people ask me if it had an aftermarket exhaust.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I actually love the way it sounds on start up and while driving it. I've had a few people ask me if it had an aftermarket exhaust.
    +1
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

i agree it is loud when cold start same for me
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

does anyone know if there are new aftermarket exhaust cat backs that came our recently for wrx 2011

Because of the '11 quad-tips and the STI fenders, I'm seeing a lot of 08+ STI exhausts (cat-back) being relabeled as "08+ STI / 11 WRX".

Perrin for example has an 11 WRX cat-back which I got (still in box). Both on the site and on the box it has the SKU for the 08+ STI. The older WRXs didn't have the dual exit cutouts in the rear bumper but the 11's do so more stuff is fitting now.

Perrin: http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ory=6&model=41

How nice. So you think your new exhaust is "better" than the Spt subaru one? whats the difference...Is it louder or what? Once its installed Def want to see pic+ sound clip or video!

Perrin HFC downpipe.. how hard is downpipe to install and how much do they cost.. How much additional Hp or what does it do

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post

Or starting your car in a garage. I have an 08 Si and I think it sounds great on start up (stock exhaust). I would rather have an STI in my garage, but that's another story (getting a 2011, but not soon enough!. I have never heard anyone complain about a Subie being too "loud" on start up. That's like complaining about there being too many green lights...