2011 WRX in SWP or DGM?

View Poll Results: What color should I get?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Satin White Pearl all the way!

15 50.00%
  • Dark Gray Metallic, like a dark mature suit

11 36.67%
  • Both suck, go with what I recommend

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX in SWP or DGM? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Planning on putting in an order for a 2011 WRX limited sedan from the US next week. Having a very ...

2011 WRX in SWP or DGM?

Planning on putting in an order for a 2011 WRX limited sedan from the US next week. Having a very tough time selecting a color. Actually I was supposed to order last week but could not decide on a color. My two final choices are

Satin White Pearl
    Pros:

* Looks great day and night
    * Has a nice contrast with tinted windows
    * Looks real clean
    * has a bit of "head turning" affect when seen

Cons:

* Gets dirty easily
    * Magnet for snowy dirt (I live in Toronto, Canada)
    * Higher maintenance in terms of cleaning
    * Too bright (cop magnet?)

Dark Gray Metallic
    Pros:

* Stealthy (not a cop magnet)
    * Easier to color match
    * Hides dirty easily
    * Less maintenance in terms of cleaning and scratches
    * Looks great under the sun
    * Looks a bit more mature (I'm 28)

Cons:

* Dull when there's an overcast, looks like a dull black
    * Pretty much like black, why not get black?
    * Doesn't have that head turning effect
    * Can look boring
    * Have yet to see one that wows me in person

Before anyone says why not WRB - it's a great color, maybe a bit too flashy for my liking and my age.

Plasma blue pearl - I'm buying from the states.

Any thoughts or pictures to sway me?
    I'll be honest, I was all about DGM until I saw a regular impreza in DGM during an overcast. I'm leaning towards SWP right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ordered DGM originally, but I had a chance to take a SWP off the lot. I'm so glad I did.

Keep in mind that a dark color will show scratches and swirls a lot more easily than white.
    I also haven't found myself having to wash it super often either, although winter will probably change that.

Quote Originally Posted by swift0114 View Post
    Planning on putting in an order for a 2011 WRX limited sedan from the US next week. Having a very tough time selecting a color. Actually I was supposed to order last week but could not decide on a color. My two final choices are

Satin White Pearl
    Pros:

* Looks great day and night
    * Has a nice contrast with tinted windows
    * Looks real clean
    * has a bit of "head turning" affect when seen

Cons:

* Gets dirty easily
    * Magnet for snowy dirt (I live in Toronto, Canada)
    * Higher maintenance in terms of cleaning
    * Too bright (cop magnet?)

Dark Gray Metallic
    Pros:

* Stealthy (not a cop magnet)
    * Easier to color match
    * Hides dirty easily
    * Less maintenance in terms of cleaning and scratches
    * Looks great under the sun
    * Looks a bit more mature (I'm 28)

Cons:

* Dull when there's an overcast, looks like a dull black
    * Pretty much like black, why not get black?
    * Doesn't have that head turning effect
    * Can look boring
    * Have yet to see one that wows me in person

Before anyone says why not WRB - it's a great color, maybe a bit too flashy for my liking and my age.

Plasma blue pearl - I'm buying from the states.

Any thoughts or pictures to sway me?
    I'll be honest, I was all about DGM until I saw a regular impreza in DGM during an overcast. I'm leaning towards SWP right now.

Go with what YOU want, you will be paying for it & living with it! My 2 cents:

I would not go with the white/pearl. The pearl is very pretty up close when clean, but I believe:
    1) it is too, too common (vast majority on cars in the lot at work/on the road are white).
    2) The lack of reflections in the light color flatten the curves of your car. The flares & bulges don't reflect & grab you the way they would in a darker color. I have a white C3 vette (the coke bottle shape), and every time I look at it, I wish it was a different color. The car has no straight panels or lines on it, but all that wild shape is washed out by the white color. It may someday be repainted a dark midnight blue...

Given your 2 options, I would take the dark gray. It may also blend-in with other dark cars from a distance, but it would accentuate the bulges & flares, and look killer when shining.

My new WRX is probably quite seasick right now (on a boat from japan) and will be red. Cop magnet? Sure, but not that my last few vehicles weren't (screaming yellow SVT, bright blue C4, red Alfa Romeo, Tornado red Triumph), but I can live with being seen.

Good luck!

Banned
    hate DGM! subi paints blow too. every little chip sticks out like a sore thumb. its been scratched a few times also, bright white sticks out bad from the primer or the metal its self. every little dust flake is seen, its a nightmere to keep clean. i would LOVE white!! a quick wash would be a 1000 times easier then DGM. you have to wash it 3 times to get water stops and dust off. i plan on wrapping the whole car in white vinyl.

Go WR Blue FTW!
    -Mitigate

Quote Originally Posted by mark0429 View Post
    I ordered DGM originally, but I had a chance to take a SWP off the lot. I'm so glad I did.

Keep in mind that a dark color will show scratches and swirls a lot more easily than white.
    I also haven't found myself having to wash it super often either, although winter will probably change that.

Nice looking ride, thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveBye View Post

I would not go with the white/pearl. The pearl is very pretty up close when clean, but I believe:
    1) it is too, too common (vast majority on cars in the lot at work/on the road are white).
    2) The lack of reflections in the light color flatten the curves of your car. The flares & bulges don't reflect & grab you the way they would in a darker color. I have a white C3 vette (the coke bottle shape), and every time I look at it, I wish it was a different color. The car has no straight panels or lines on it, but all that wild shape is washed out by the white color. It may someday be repainted a dark midnight blue...

Given your 2 options, I would take the dark gray. It may also blend-in with other dark cars from a distance, but it would accentuate the bulges & flares, and look killer when shining.

My new WRX is probably quite seasick right now (on a boat from japan) and will be red. Cop magnet? Sure, but not that my last few vehicles weren't (screaming yellow SVT, bright blue C4, red Alfa Romeo, Tornado red Triumph), but I can live with being seen.

Good luck!
    For sure I would go with what I want but the problem is I'm not sure what I want lol. Prior to deciding on getting a WRX, I was sold on my next car being carbon gray. So when it was time to decide, I saw a regular impreza in dark gray during an overcast and it turned me off. In the showroom it rocked but outside, it was dull.

Black looks hot too but I won't be able to detail it every week so that's out of the question.

Nice list of cars btw and red seems to go well with your list

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    hate DGM! subi paints blow too. every little chip sticks out like a sore thumb. its been scratched a few times also, bright white sticks out bad from the primer or the metal its self. every little dust flake is seen, its a nightmere to keep clean. i would LOVE white!! a quick wash would be a 1000 times easier then DGM. you have to wash it 3 times to get water stops and dust off. i plan on wrapping the whole car in white vinyl.
    Yeah I heard subi paint is not the greatest. I think that is common with all japanese cars. My old GM could take a beating.

You are the first person I've come across that owns a DGM but is not that fond of it. I would have thought DGM would be a lot easier to keep clean than a black car.

Thanks for your input, helps the decision making process.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swift0114 View Post
    Yeah I heard subi paint is not the greatest. I think that is common with all japanese cars. My old GM could take a beating.

You are the first person I've come across that owns a DGM but is not that fond of it. I would have thought DGM would be a lot easier to keep clean than a black car.

Thanks for your input, helps the decision making process.
    cleaning and looks of your "clean" you can not beat silver and then white.

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    cleaning and looks of your "clean" you can not beat silver and then white.
    Yes silver would excel in hiding dirt but the color is so common in all cars it's almost... blah.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveBye View Post

Good luck!
    Honestly...I don't see how you can argue the SWP "flattens" a car.

Maybe...MAYBE...a normal white paint would have some of that effect...but SWP does an amazing job of highlighting the facets of the body. I've never owned a white car before (because I find them boring), but OMG SWP is a stunner.

But...if you want to scream "pay attention to me" snag the red.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I am very disappointed that your poll lacks an "I <3 Bewbs" option. This is a requirement when posting a poll, please read the FAQ section.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Def go with the Gray for the winn!!!
    2011 WRX Hatch Black Pearl

Hope this helps!

SWP ALL THE WAY

The light definitely refracts differently off of the white. In some light you will tend to lose those beautiful curves. The SWP looks amazing in person. In the true Subaru fashion,white will be a scarce color and in demand when reselling. It all comes down to personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast