Hey Everybody! Looking for an FSR machine...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hey Everybody! Looking for an FSR machine... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm looking to find the best years/trim levels of wrx or sti for offroad drifting on forest service roads / ...

Hey Everybody! Looking for an FSR machine...

I'm looking to find the best years/trim levels of wrx or sti for offroad drifting on forest service roads / backroads.

I live in BC and have noticed that an 08 sti seems to go for the same as an 04 sti ... not sure why.. US dollar exchange, popular body styles, etc.. but the price difference is less than I would expect at Vancouver dealers.

I'm also not sure a stiff sti setup is the best for the backroads around here, but that is what they are built for right?! Maybe even though they are stiffer an sti would hold up better because they are purpose built?

Sorry ahead of time if these questions sound ridiculous... but I will be doing thousands of backwoods km in this guy and I want to get it right the first time!

Just finished 10 hours of lurking this great forum!
    Thanks, Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wrx or STi is t purpose built for anything besides getting it's owner from point a to point b... If they were purpose built for rallying you'd have 2 seats and a roll cage.. Along with a lot higher price tag...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Start with a wagon or hatchback in either wrx or sti. (my recommendation. A sedan will work, but imo it will look silly )

Put on lifting springs, and match them with good struts for that height. Take off your swaybars.

Give yourself a ton of negative camber to counteract the understeer you're going to get.

Throw on good dirt/rally tires

Add a good thick skidplate and some mudflaps

finish up with some chassis stiffening (roll cage, strut braces, etc) and some safety features (better seats maybe?), and you're good to go.

I agree that making the suspension somewhat soft will be best, but you'll not want to make it floppy. Getting that balance will be tough.

No wrx or sti will be good for offroading as it comes from the factory.

One last point: Somewhere in the later gd/gg years (depends on wrx vs. sti too), they changed to DBW. This is a matter of personal preference, but some prefer the feel of DBC, so keep this in mind when making your decision.

EDIT: Forgot one major point: you should probably get an STi, or at least an STi drivetrain for the DCCD and better front diff - not sure if they put LSD fronts in any later wrx's, but I know STI's got torsen.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Wrx or STi is t purpose built for anything besides getting it's owner from point a to point b... If they were purpose built for rallying you'd have 2 seats and a roll cage.. Along with a lot higher price tag...
    I don't want to race... I just drive backroads. If I wanted to race I'd grab a Sube off the rally boards... Some great deals out there !

@polyman... Thanks, still lots of acronyms for me to learn, probably not reasonable to drift stock sti's on dirt roads, I don't really want to spend thousands after I buy it! I think I'm on the wrong track here. Will I ruin a stock sti on dirt?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.