Noobie looking to get into a Soobie

This is a discussion on Noobie looking to get into a Soobie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I'm very new to this site, and to Subarus in general, but I think I'm ready to get ...

Arrow Noobie looking to get into a Soobie

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to this site, and to Subarus in general, but I think I'm ready to get into a WRX as soon as I can. My roommate has a '97 Impreza sport wagon, and it's literally the most fun car I've ever driven. But, WRX's make me drool . So I know this is a ridiculous question because everybody has their preference, but which WRX should I get into???

What I'm really looking to do is get a stock/needs-some-work WRX and fix it up. I'm looking to spend around $1500 on the car itself (I know, it's low), but then have it as a long term project that I can still drive. Any suggestions on year, condition, WRX's to definitely avoid, etc? Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to actually becoming a member of this site

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

for 1500 the car probably wont be driveable......
    That bein said if your just looking for a project"long term" car that may be obtainable in that price range in the older years,
    Dunno where you are located or if your handy w/ a wrench but

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/pts/2044143387.html

i did recently find this, again not abel to drive right now but within your possible budget.

If you want to drive it off the lot or personla seller may want to look into a loan for an older 90-03 wrx thoes usuall go for under 10k

The only thing you should really stay away from is a modded car that you dont know what has been done unless you know what your looking for and how to repair. the link above to me honestly seems like someone got a lil in over his head and will prop cost as much as buying a good working stocker, but a slow build propper could have a bad lil subie

Im a project man myself currently re-building an old 71 opel and gonna drop a sr-20 tt (maybe) so when i look at projects like the link above i always see myself ripping it down bone and rebuild all the way up, having the parts already there is a plus but never know of the quality so its always a bit of a gamble, sometimes lucky but imo id rather be sure than press luck..

So you def have some research to do and probably a good amt of saving in order to get into what you really want, be patient and the perfect opportunity will come lol./.. good luck!!!

As of right now, I could/want to go in one of two directions:

Buy a "hoopdi" wrx (or impreza) to have as a daily driver and fix up slowly. This means I would be looking for something that could currently drive; that being said, I am completely willing to upgrade it as much as possible, replacing things as needed or as I can afford. There's even the possibility that I would do a complete engine/transmission swap at some point. If I went this way, some questions I have are:
    • What is the best way to do a swap? Meaning, could/should I do an STI swap at some point? Or should I put in better parts in the WRX engine I would currently have? Let's say for this idea, money is not an issue.
    • If I were to do an engine swap, what would I need to change along with the engine?

The other route is a pure project car. I would be willing to buy something like this: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/2034791317.html. Of course this specific one requires an engine, so the above questions apply here too. But if I were to buy a project WRX that needs a lot of work:
    • How reasonable/realistic is it to take apart, clean/replace, and put back together an engine (not completely to its smallest parts, but as much as needed)? Assume that I have high mechanical expertise.
    • Should I avoid wrecked/"totaled" WRX's or STI's? If so, why?

There are probably many things to consider that I've overlooked. If there are any things that I missed that some of you think I should really look into, please feel free to let me know here.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimeMachine View Post
    As of right now, I could/want to go in one of two directions:

Buy a "hoopdi" wrx (or impreza) to have as a daily driver and fix up slowly. This means I would be looking for something that could currently drive; that being said, I am completely willing to upgrade it as much as possible, replacing things as needed or as I can afford. There's even the possibility that I would do a complete engine/transmission swap at some point. If I went this way, some questions I have are:
    • What is the best way to do a swap? Meaning, could/should I do an STI swap at some point? Or should I put in better parts in the WRX engine I would currently have? Let's say for this idea, money is not an issue.
    • If I were to do an engine swap, what would I need to change along with the engine?

The other route is a pure project car. I would be willing to buy something like this: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/2034791317.html. Of course this specific one requires an engine, so the above questions apply here too. But if I were to buy a project WRX that needs a lot of work:
    • How reasonable/realistic is it to take apart, clean/replace, and put back together an engine (not completely to its smallest parts, but as much as needed)? Assume that I have high mechanical expertise.
    • Should I avoid wrecked/"totaled" WRX's or STI's? If so, why?

There are probably many things to consider that I've overlooked. If there are any things that I missed that some of you think I should really look into, please feel free to let me know here.

Well you do have many options if money is'nt an issue but had earlier stated had a buget so i will try to answer as best as i can for you, keep in mind there are alot of opinions out there and good points as well so definately do as much research as possible before jumpinig in.

IMO the 2.5 sti block is going to be best for a rebuild internals are much stronger and can hold much more than the 2.0, if im not mistaken they are forged internals,
    As for other replacements it depends on your overall goal and preference as far as sti 6 sp tranny flywheel, gearbox, many many options but in cases like this unless time is all ya have to wait on will be costly( i say time cause i always wait for the best deals.. lol they come around )
    Now doin a good swap is no picnic but much easier than i have experienced in the past, i personally have been quite intimate w/ my subie and is quite simple and fun
    there are some things that make ya wanna scratch your head and say "why subaru did you design it this way?" but that goes w/o sayin

Really it depends if you are looking for something to get you to work/school and back or a project there are lotta good sites that have good info check the older posts here, good info w/ good ppl knowing what they are talkin bout.