Driving manual 101 (again!)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Driving manual 101 (again!) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys. I've been driving my WRX for about 4 weeks now. Some of the technique I have learned when ...

Driving manual 101 (again!)

hey guys.

I've been driving my WRX for about 4 weeks now. Some of the technique I have learned when I was being taught on manual (ahem... years) doesn't seem to "appropriately" apply.

1. when the car is rolling (say from higher gear to stop light, then suddenly would go) & I think the gear most appropriate is 2nd, the car is like going to stall-- when I try going to 1st it won't let me do it (by this I mean grinding if I have to forcefully do it)

2. I have also noticed that when I rev it hard, ( not past 4500rpm-- I'm still under break-in) its harder to upshift. Sometimes I would go from 1st to 2nd in a low speed..

3. I do remember before that I can put a higher i.e from 5th, 4th, etc gear to neutral without pressing the clutch, NOw I am hesitant to do it because it would also grind if I try going to neutral without the clutch.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1) If the car is moving, use 2nd and be gentle with the clutch. There's a balance there, you need to find it.

2) What exactly do you mean it's hard to upshift? Grinding? There should never be a problem with upshifting.

3) Always use the clutch when going in and out of gear.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    1. when the car is rolling (say from higher gear to stop light, then suddenly would go) & I think the gear most appropriate is 2nd, the car is like going to stall-- when I try going to 1st it won't let me do it (by this I mean grinding if I have to forcefully do it)
    Do not downshift into first if the car is moving. If you are moving use 2nd instead. The grinding is very common and downshifting into first is one of the most difficult things to do anyway.

2. I have also noticed that when I rev it hard, ( not past 4500rpm-- I'm still under break-in) its harder to upshift. Sometimes I would go from 1st to 2nd in a low speed..
    This is normal also. The trick is to ease off the throttle as you disengage the clutch but in any case it's normal to experience this.

3. I do remember before that I can put a higher i.e from 5th, 4th, etc gear to neutral without pressing the clutch, NOw I am hesitant to do it because it would also grind if I try going to neutral without the clutch.
    I press the clutch pedal before doing anything with the lever anyway. There are a number of technical reasons some may offer regarding how it's not necessary but I've been doing it this way since 1986.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

1. i never hit 1st unless at a full stop. as to what gear to be in on a rolling start it depends on ur speed and how fast u want to take off, normal acceleration rule of thumb 10 mph per gear (ex: 2nd 20-30mph)

2. depending on what car ur used to shifting harder is a vary relitive term every car is different get used to ur new subbie do not force things if it's hard to do your prob. doing it wrong

3.the clutch is there for a reson if your moving the shifter you want to have it in

hope this helps

thanks for all the reply
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

If the car is moving, use 2nd and be gentle with the clutch. There's a balance there, you need to find it.

yup, I've been trying to find it. Like what I've said if feels like the engine is going to stop.

This is normal also. The trick is to ease off the throttle as you disengage the clutch but in any case it's normal to experience this.

*ease the throttle? you mean before I think of going to 2nd shift I'm already disengage on the accelarator right?

3.the clutch is there for a reson if your moving the shifter you want to have it in

* well, its an old habit. I bet somebody is still doing it.
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

hey guys.

I've been driving my WRX for about 4 weeks now. Some of the technique I have learned when I was being taught on manual (ahem... years) doesn't seem to "appropriately" apply.

1. when the car is rolling (say from higher gear to stop light, then suddenly would go) & I think the gear most appropriate is 2nd, the car is like going to stall-- when I try going to 1st it won't let me do it (by this I mean grinding if I have to forcefully do

Any thoughts guys? Thanks
    1. you may need alittle more throttle while feathering the clutch. just watch to not ride the clutch.

3. this can be done but the rpms need to be right and not under load. you should always use the clutch though. your not driving a tractor trailor/commercial vehicle.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

this may be slightly off topic....but reading the specs it says..

5spd manual with "incline start assist"

what is incline start assist exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT View Post
    this may be slightly off topic....but reading the specs it says..

5spd manual with "incline start assist"

what is incline start assist exactly?
    If you're on an incline (this works going uphill in reverse as well), the car will automatically apply brakes to hold you in position until you engage sufficiently to move the car forward. Prevents roll-back while engaging 1st gear (or reverse) on an incline. Pretty cool feature.

I have found that the best way to get into 1st while rolling up to a stop light is to just stop completely. This is the only way to assure you don't grind. Seems like a design flaw to me.

If you REALLY don't want to stop, you could double clutch, but instead of matching, rev it up around 5K. However, this isn't advised either since you will still occasionally grind.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by nath75 View Post
    If you're on an incline (this works going uphill in reverse as well), the car will automatically apply brakes to hold you in position until you engage sufficiently to move the car forward. Prevents roll-back while engaging 1st gear (or reverse) on an incline. Pretty cool feature.
    ah interesting...

Banswee did u post up pictures of your car yet.??. im getting same one in premium!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorty View Post
    Banswee did u post up pictures of your car yet.??. im getting same one in premium!
    I have not posted any pics.. I can post some if you want though.. The premium price is so close to the limited. If I'm buying such price (close) I would rather go with the top of line.. Thats just me man--.
    Last edited by BANSwee; 11-08-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

I have not posted any pics.. I can post some if you want though.. The premium price is so close to the limited. If I'm buying such price (close) I would rather go with the top of line.. Thats just me man--.
    yes post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT View Post
    yes post pics.
    Hey man, been trying to post some pics thru URL (flickr) but I can't. anyhow I posted I small size pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0021.jpg  
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.