Hello from the CO Mountains
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hello from the CO Mountains within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello Fellow WRXers, I have just purchased a 2006 WRX. It is Rally Blue with high(ish) miles for the year. ...

Hello from the CO Mountains

Hello Fellow WRXers,

I have just purchased a 2006 WRX. It is Rally Blue with high(ish) miles for the year. What sold me on this car was that the engine has been un touched during its ownership, and that tells me alot about how it was driven. It does have a few aftermarket things the previous owner put on: Aftermarket Cat-Back Exhaust (not sure what brand), Aftermarket Black Wheels, and an aftermarket front bumper (looks like it would be ideal to put a front mount in). I have been through many makes and models in my past and not biased on other brands out there.

This car is pretty much going to be my daily drive for the next 5 years or so. Modifications on my end will be pretty much a stage I setup at most. I have just ordered a K&N drop in panel filter for the car, next will be a boost guage (not sure which brand to get, ive only looked at prosprt mech guages, also would like some direction on how to install it by utilizing existing grommets) followed by a few other minor odds and ends, nothing serious.

I do have another fun car, my 1994 corvette, 6-spd manual. This is my project in the work with a goal of a modest 480 crank HP.

Looking forward to speaking with other members here, check yall around.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Welcome to the site...
    the car coudl've been previously modified and returned to stock... if there was an aftermarket cbe and front bumper then its very possible there migh'tve been more done.... you may want to check into it if you have not allready... congratulations. On the purchase and post some pictures when you can....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Thanks, i have finally come up with a list of things i want to do to the car, which isnt much and thats fine (daily driver).
    Heres the planned list:
    Near Future:
    -K&N Drop-In Panel Filter
    -Boost Gauge (SPT, Autometer or Prosport)
    -Oil Catch Can / AOS

Later future:
    -Turbo-Back Exhaust (TurboXS one is appealing)
    -Resized Intercooler (help lower heat soak unless not necessary?)
    -Smooth Intercooler Piping

Cosmetic:
    -Stock Bumper (ill be on the lookout for this because i dont like the current aftermarket one from previous owner)
    -Stock wheel wells (broken, junkyard prolly would have them)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by WillieRX; 11-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    Heres the planned list:
    Near Future:
    -K&N Drop-In Panel Filter
    -Boost Gauge (SPT, Autometer or Prosport)
    -Waste Gate (at least a stronger one that doesnt open until higher boost)
    -Oil Catch Can (any tips on whether oil in the intercooler is a problem and if it would be good to have it?)

Later future:
    -Turbo-Back Exhaust (TurboXS one is appealing)
    -Resized Intercooler (help lower heat soak unless not necessary?)
    -Smooth Intercooler Piping

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
    K&N? I had one and went back to OEM paper. Why? They do a better job at filtering.

Wastegate? It is part of your turbo - no need to beef it up.

Catch can? I found something much better: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...18#post2664818

IC / piping? This is a great package that does both: Just ordered a Process West TMIC (installed 9/4)
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome from a fellow coloradoan!

Research your mods a little more. Catch can is not necessary until high boost levels, wastegates dont have to be changed to increase boost. We have an electronic boost control solenoid that the ECU controls.

Intercoolers you need to research a bit more as well. Decide between FMIC and TMIC... and research the benefits of one over another.

As far as the bumper... a lot of people are willing to trade aftermarket parts for stock. Just put some ads out on craigslist.

Welcome!
    -Kevin
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I was wondering about the wastegate, glad dont need to worry about it anymore.
    That AOS mentioned, i looked into, but still unsure how it all works, does it fill up with oil, then i dispose of it at every oil change? How well has it been treating you?
    I may as well post of craigs for a bumper trade haha, this aftermarket one just isnt my thing, i prefer stock.
    Intercooler, i prefer to stay TMIC, and im sure the stock one is just fine for what im looking for.

I Support ClubWRX
    That AOS mentioned, i looked into, but still unsure how it all works, does it fill up with oil, then i dispose of it at every oil change? How well has it been treating you?
    Totally maintenance free - that's the beauty part unlike a catch can. Any oil collected goes right back into the crankcase. Keeps the IC and intake tract squeaky clean.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

AH , ok, an additional question on the AOS. This is my first turbo vehicle (past vehicles consisted of N/A engines: one I-4 , two V-6s, four V-8s). The lines that go into the AOS, does it affect vacuum/boost, rather where are the lines being removed from to go back into the crankcase? Thanks for explaining it to me, trying to be sure it would be something i would want.

Edit: Never Mind, i just watched the Install video on the website, definitelly considering it, im a little unsure on placing a cap where one of the old lines used to go. But still pretty much sold on it.
    Last edited by WillieRX; 11-08-2010 at 03:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    AH , ok, an additional question on the AOS. This is my first turbo vehicle (past vehicles consisted of N/A engines: one I-4 , two V-6s, four V-8s). The lines that go into the AOS, does it affect vacuum/boost, rather where are the lines being removed from to go back into the crankcase? Thanks for explaining it to me, trying to be sure it would be something i would want.

Edit: Never Mind, i just watched the Install video on the website, definitelly considering it, im a little unsure on placing a cap where one of the old lines used to go. But still pretty much sold on it.
    It's a clean install - a well thought out product. Once you have it all laid out in front of you it makes perfect sense. The hoses are on the thick side, but are easy enough to route easily.
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.