Help Me Decide....Cadillac Escalade "truck" or WRX?

View Poll Results: Escalade EXT or my WRX?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with your fast project/daily driver. Who needs luxury?

18 75.00%
  • Go with the the Cadillac Escalade EXT; it's fast enough, AWD....and it's a friggin Caddy.

3 12.50%
  • Ask your wife & 3 kids...and still make the decision yourself.

4 16.67%
  • Man, I have no idea, I just though your user name was kinda cool so I'm here to say "hello!"

2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help Me Decide....Cadillac Escalade "truck" or WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK, here's the deal: I bought, modded and love my WRX, purchased brand-new in 2007. It will be payed off ...

Help Me Decide....Cadillac Escalade "truck" or WRX?

OK, here's the deal: I bought, modded and love my WRX, purchased brand-new in 2007. It will be payed off in about 2 years. It's my baby. But I've been finding myself wishing I had a truck...wishing my car was more long-trip and passenger friendly. I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING SLOW or not ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE since I live in Oregon and commute 7mi/day on fwy to work.
    I've been thinking about getting a used Cadillace Escalade EXT; it's AWD, very comfortable and comes with a 6.2 L V-8, 403 HP & 417 TQ, with 0-60 in 6.5. Although it's over a second slower than my WRX, I can get a used one with similar miles and year and have it payed off in close-enough to the same time...in comfort..but...

Somebody help me! Stay with my modded, little, fast WRX or move to the bigger, nicer, slower Caddy? What do YOU think?

(I'm $5k to the good on my WRX for trade-in value)

....I'm just sayin'....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if you're just looking for something thats good on long trips & passenger friendly, why not look at a legacy GT or something a little more "refined" but still awesome?

if youre stuck on getting a truck, an escalade wouldnt be my first choice. i'd probably look at a tundra or something similar

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Exclamation

Important Info PS: Yes, I do have a wife and 3 kids, but she has her own 6 passenger crossover SUV; my WRX is not our only car.
    ....I'm just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    if you're just looking for something thats good on long trips & passenger friendly, why not look at a legacy GT or something a little more "refined" but still awesome?

if youre stuck on getting a truck, an escalade wouldnt be my first choice. i'd probably look at a tundra or something similar
    Thanks for the post. I think though, that if I'm gonna depart {*insert teary eyes smilie here} from the WRX, I gotta have something thats a big-enuf pay-off to make me happy. The Escalade is super-lux unlike those others you mentioned. Know what I mean? I cant do ordinary and be happy with it.
    ....I'm just sayin'....

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    you have a suv already , so stick with your wrx
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I don't know about Oregon...but I do know in North Dakota the Escalade costs significantly more to license and insure than does my 2010 WRX, so I'm guessing that Oregon will follow the same pattern. Also, having personally owned several GM pickups (both 4-door and extended cab) I can guarantee you that gas mileage will be MUCH below what your are currently enjoying. Finally, every time you enter a parking lot and start looking for a place to park, you're going to wonder why in god's green earth you're driving such a big vehicle. Tires, BTW, can be pricey on this size vehicle depending on your needs/wants.

But...the Caddy is nice, luxurious, and will get you to and from work in a particular form of American style, even if it is a bit redundant vis-a-vis your wife's SUV. And while people like to bash the quality of American made automobiles, I can say that I never had mechanical problems with any of the GM pickups that I owned.

I would suggest that you consider all the reasons you are looking at moving beyond your Subaru and make a list of the vehicles that meet most or all of those reasons. I bet that there are several European sedans that would be on that list and possibly some Japanese or Korean ones, as well. It's just a thought.

In the end, it's really up to you (and I'd include your wife in that) and how you want to spend your money and get to work and back. Good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Much of this depends upon how much of an "enthusiast" you are; that is, how much does the driving experience mean to you?
    I sold my first WRX, a fairly modded 2002, and bought a G35 because I thought I wanted something more refined. It was an excellent car...but every day of owning it I missed the raw feeling of my bugeye.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    It all comes down to this...

Are you interested in exciting the girls, or exciting yourself?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    It all comes down to this...

Are you interested in exciting the girls, or exciting yourself?
    OP,show this post to your wife & let her decide!
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been thinking about getting a used Cadillace Escalade EXT; it's AWD, very comfortable and comes with a 6.2 L V-8, 403 HP & 417 TQ, with 0-60 in 6.5.
    If it were to stop from that speed (on its own, not onto another car or a lamp post or something) how would that look and feel compared to your current drive? If something were to get in its way at that speed, and for whatever reason just driving into or over that something wasn't an option, how would that compare to your current drive?

Consider whether you're willing to live with the dynamics and running costs too IMO.

Given the kids I'd pick the safer of the two or just keep what I have and call it a day.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Honestly...if you're going to buy a truck, BUY A TRUCK. An SUV with lawnmower cutout doesn't qualify as a truck.

But, it seems like you're more interested in what OTHER people think about your car, so by all means blow 60k on something that works just as well as something that costs 30k.

Keep the subie, live without a car payment for 5 years, and put the 60k you saved into buying a house, investing, or retirement.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    Honestly...if you're going to buy a truck, BUY A TRUCK. An SUV with lawnmower cutout doesn't qualify as a truck.

But, it seems like you're more interested in what OTHER people think about your car, so by all means blow 60k on something that works just as well as something that costs 30k.

Keep the subie, live without a car payment for 5 years, and put the 60k you saved into buying a house, investing, or retirement.
    I agree with this. True wealth comes from being out of debt.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

havn't read the replies but if you like getting less than 15mpg then the truck might be fore you.

IF I was you and wanting a truck I would go grab a 2011 Ford F150 with the Ecoboost engine V6 Turbo365hp/420tq....It's getting good MPG for a truck and the power/towing is best in class....it will probably smoke the Escalade...
    Last edited by ChadS99SVT; 11-05-2010 at 11:03 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This is the strangest trade-in dilemma I've heard yet The Caddy and WRX are night-and-day, oil-and-water, you get the picture...

The Escalade is amazingly well trimmed (I'm not a fan of the trucklike thing though). But I really enjoy the nimbleness of a small car. I say stick with the rex
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    W

R

X
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast