Im really new to this.. stupid question here

This is a discussion on Im really new to this.. stupid question here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys i just picked up a 2002 wrx wagon. So far the only thing it has is a TBE ...

Im really new to this.. stupid question here

Hey guys i just picked up a 2002 wrx wagon. So far the only thing it has is a TBE and CAI. I know what i should be going for next is a custom tune, but i am wondering exactly what a "tune" is. I am new to tuners and cars in general and just trying to learn. sorry for the stupidity :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A tune is basically a reprogramming of your cars ECU. Basically, they will be making changes to your engine management system to ensure those parts all work correctly together.

The best thing you can do is locate a quality Subaru tuner in your area and speak with them.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    A tune is basically a reprogramming of your cars ECU. Basically, they will be making changes to your engine management system to ensure those parts all work correctly together.

The best thing you can do is locate a quality Subaru tuner in your area and speak with them.
    thanks for the help. another question.. im new to subarus so cobb access port is new to me also, what exactly is this?

^ It's basically a little device that you connect to your OBD-II port and download pre-written maps into the ECU or you can have someone custom make one for you and save it to the device.

Quote Originally Posted by armindk View Post
    ^ It's basically a little device that you connect to your OBD-II port and download pre-written maps into the ECU or you can have someone custom make one for you and save it to the device.
    so when getting a tune do you get a cobb port and do it yourself? or do you take it to a tuning shop

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtisg123 View Post
    so when getting a tune do you get a cobb port and do it yourself? or do you take it to a tuning shop
    The Cobb AccessPort is just a tool made to make flashing your ECU easier, the new versions also supply a few tools that make monitoring your car easier as well. It connects to your OBDII port and flashes your ECU with maps that are made for your car to the ECU. The tune is made for your car separately, then you use the AccessPort to write this map to your ECU. Make sense?

You CAN tune your car using the AccessPort and AccessTuner software, but being that you're complete new to this scene, I wouldn't really recommend you take that route until you read the many thousands of pages of information you need to even start doing it on your own.

I would recommend speaking to a tuner in your area before even considering the AccessPort though, because you probably won't need it. In my mind, the AccessPort is a COMPLETE waste of money if you're getting a custom tune.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795608

read this & your questions will be answered

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    The Cobb AccessPort is just a tool made to make flashing your ECU easier, the new versions also supply a few tools that make monitoring your car easier as well. It connects to your OBDII port and flashes your ECU with maps that are made for your car to the ECU. The tune is made for your car separately, then you use the AccessPort to write this map to your ECU. Make sense?

You CAN tune your car using the AccessPort and AccessTuner software, but being that you're complete new to this scene, I wouldn't really recommend you take that route until you read the many thousands of pages of information you need to even start doing it on your own.

I would recommend speaking to a tuner in your area before even considering the AccessPort though, because you probably won't need it. In my mind, the AccessPort is a COMPLETE waste of money if you're getting a custom tune.
    Thanks for the info. Im not even interested in doing much more than a custom tune at this point. i have tbe and cold air intake. one more question.. the guy before me claims he swapped in the STi engine, but when loooking at the car you can clearly see that it is the wrx intercooler. I was wondering how to find out exactly what turbo he has in it, and if it is the STi turbo, should i upgrade the intercooler/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtisg123 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Im not even interested in doing much more than a custom tune at this point. i have tbe and cold air intake. one more question.. the guy before me claims he swapped in the STi engine, but when loooking at the car you can clearly see that it is the wrx intercooler. I was wondering how to find out exactly what turbo he has in it, and if it is the STi turbo, should i upgrade the intercooler/
    You bought a modded car without knowing every single thing that was done to it?

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    You bought a modded car without knowing every single thing that was done to it?

He says he upgraded turbo but I think he just did a bad paint job by putting Sti on intercooler and is trying to say he upgraded it

To save a lot of what's this and what's that's plus why this caught on fire and how to remove a MBC etc.... I suggest that you take said car to a tuning shop and have them write up a list of what's been done, what's been done wrong, and what needs to be done....

Good luck and please take the advice and run with it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257