Possible problem! :(
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Possible problem! :( within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So as you know I recently bought the 2010 wrx yesterday. I went to the Subbie dealership to get it ...

Possible problem! :(

So as you know I recently bought the 2010 wrx yesterday. I went to the Subbie dealership to get it inspected and this is the story I got.

For one, before I start, none of the following was submitted to carfax. Fortunatly, the dealer I bought the subbie from has a buy-back policy.

OK, so I took it to the subaru dealership. They immediatly told me that there's history with the car. Apparantly the prior owner had come in and the turbo had sucked in a bolt and it blew. This could possibly have sent metal shavings into the engine. Apparantly, they replaced the turbo, drained the oil, etc.

However, they couldn't give me a straight answer about how this would affect my warranty. I asked them if they could contact Subaru headquarters and ask them directly, and they all shook their heads "no." They also said that they had the replacement and such in their computers labled as "abuse and neglected."

Now, I had forgotten to ask them for paperwork on the service history, as well as why it wasn't submitted to carfax. The carfax on this car is clean, and the latest update from that same dealer was a "manufacture recommended service / oil and oil filter change."

None of this makes sense to me. The car pulls great, boost is good. Also, from a mechanical standpoint, I don't see how metal shavings can get into the engine in the first place. They would have to go through the intercooler first, and my friend who has worked on turbo'd MR2's for the past ten years said that it was very unlikely that the metal shavings would get past the intercooler, and if it was on the exhaust side, it would simply go through the exhaust.

Also, I looked at the intake area, and can see no evidence of the screws being tampered with. At the same time, i can't see how a bolt can be sucked through the turbo even if the prior owner did put in an intake, unless he was a complete idiot. Finally, the rest of the car doesn't jive with the vehicle being thrashed. The tires are stock and look like a grandma drove the car. The rest of the body is good, except for the lower right corner where they probably drove over a parking berm at low speed (minor paint scratch.)

I know this is a long post, but please let me know if you guys can give me any advice. The manager at the dealer i bought the car from is gonna make phone calls tomorrow, and try to get to the bottom of this story. At the worst I can give them back the car and get my money back, but I really don't want to do that :/ *sigh*

Also, the dealer I bought the car from had no idea of any of this. It makes no sense to me how the subbie dealer could not report this kind of thing.
    Last edited by Rejor11; 11-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1) It is possible that metal shavings from a turbo can get through the intercooler and in the engine. Not a bolt though.

2) I doubt a bolt went through the turbo. More than likely the turbo failed from a defect and the dealership or SOA blamed the original owner.

3) My guess is the original owner took the car back after being stuck on the highway. The dealership cooked up a BS story about a bolt going through his turbo because of "abuse and neglect". They quoted him $3000 to fix the problem. He cried to SOA and they backed up the dealership, however they graciously offered to fix the problem for reduced cost to original owner. Original owner has car fixed and proceeds to get rid of it.

4) Is your car damaged goods? Probably not. I doubt the turbo bits got into the block or heads. However, you have a golden opportunity to walk away and find another Subie. I would...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Sounds like a case of incomplete disclosure.

They knew the history of this car, having apparently done all the work on it, yet they chose to not tell you about it.

Since they would buy it back, I would absolutely let (make) them, and find a different dealer for my next try.

I would also let them know (once the deal's been completely undone) why I'm no longer willing to deal with them.

If they say they 'already sold your trade', tell 'em to get it back regardless.
    Stink-Eye Mob #666

2009 WRX Sedan

I'm not having a problem with the dealer I bought the car from, it's the subaru dealer that did the work on the car that I'm having a problem with.

I will most likely get my money back today. I'm also going to be giving Subaru HQ a call to report the dealer that won't give me all the information I need regarding this car.

So I just turned in the Subaru. I really liked that car too, but better that than have to deal with any possible future problems.

It's for the best. You'll find the car you want eventually.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    It's for the best. You'll find the car you want eventually.
    grab an '11, they're prettier!

Quote Originally Posted by Battousai311 View Post
    grab an '11, they're prettier!
    +1...the problems with your '10 are divine intervention!
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.