McCulloch 8000k Install on 2011 WRX. Help pls.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on McCulloch 8000k Install on 2011 WRX. Help pls. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have no experience.. Would this be a difficult task?(1st timer) Do you think you could help me step-by-step. I ...

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar

McCulloch 8000k Install on 2011 WRX. Help pls.

I have no experience.. Would this be a difficult task?(1st timer) Do you think you could help me step-by-step. I know remove grille, then intake, but I don't even know what I am talking about. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Not to thread-jack, but is it possible to swap the HIDs from the Limited models onto the base WRX?

The reason I ask is because on my old car, both lights used the same harness, so it was a simple 2-minute swap - And you get to keep the OEM look and everything.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was also wondering about HIDs,but I think I'd rather change the projectors first.The HID kit install isnt all that difficult though inadvisable without doing the projectors first ,theres a 3 step video on youtube where a guy explains how .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSS...eature=related
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 10-27-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    Not to thread-jack, but is it possible to swap the HIDs from the Limited models onto the base WRX?

The reason I ask is because on my old car, both lights used the same harness, so it was a simple 2-minute swap - And you get to keep the OEM look and everything.
    The wiring is not the same. You would need to make a harness and buy the whole Premium setup (headlights, bulbs, ballasts).

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I was also wondering about HIDs,but I think I'd rather change the projectors first.The HID kit install isnt all that difficult though inadvisable without doing the projectors first ,theres a 3 step video on youtube where a guy explains how .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSS...eature=related
    Thank god you actually are thinking of other drivers on the road . The projector housing has major differences between the non-HID models vs. HID equipped models. Installing HID's on Halogen projectors still causes glare to oncoming traffic, though not as bad as pure reflector headlights.

#1: To the OP after market HID kits are meant for off-road use only otherwise it's illegal to install unless it's been installed in a projector housing approved by DOT for HID use or a professional that knows how to retrofit projectors. If you still decide to go on after the top warning then please lower your headlight alignment a couple of clicks after installing.

#2: If you do decide to install after market HID's you may want to think twice about anything over 6000K temperature. If you just want to dress up your car for look then it's alright (I think they look retarded. Don't get fired up just my opinion). The main thing that I want to point out is HID's actually lose illumination capabilities above 4300K especially on wet roads then they don't look like they illuminate at all (at that light wave length light just like to bounce up from the mirror finish of a wet road blinding everyone instead). Just to give you an idea this is what a 4300K HID looks like in a proper HID projector: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attach...ages-pict3.jpg.

#3: *DO NOT PURCHASE* HID Kits over 35W in power. This will make the glare that I mentioned above even worse. Rule of thumb a 35W HID kit produces up to 4-5 times the light of a 60W Halogen bulb. 55W HID will produce approximately 8-10 times the light of a 60W Halogen bulb.

#4: About harnesses. After market HID kit involves installing a ballast(not difficult). So make sure that you buy a kit that has a harness that would mate with the stock Halogen lamp harness.

#5: Have fun with whatever you do and stay away from trouble .
    Last edited by KHP; 11-01-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Thank god you actually are thinking of other drivers on the road . The projector housing has major differences between the non-HID models vs. HID equipped models. Installing HID's on Halogen projectors still causes glare to oncoming traffic, though not as bad as pure reflector headlights.

#1: To the OP after market HID kits are meant for off-road use only otherwise it's illegal to install unless it's been installed in a projector housing approved by DOT for HID use or a professional that knows how to retrofit projectors. If you still decide to go on after the top warning then please lower your headlight alignment a couple of clicks after installing.

#2: If you do decide to install after market HID's you may want to think twice about anything over 6000K temperature. If you just want to dress up your car for look then it's alright (I think they look retarded. Don't get fired up just my opinion). The main thing that I want to point out is HID's actually lose illumination capabilities above 4300K especially on wet roads then they don't look like they illuminate at all (at that light wave length light just like to bounce up from the mirror finish of a wet road blinding everyone instead). Just to give you an idea this is what a 4300K HID looks like in a proper HID projector: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attach...ages-pict3.jpg.

#3: *DO NOT PURCHASE* HID Kits over 35W in power. This will make the glare that I mentioned above even worse. Rule of thumb a 35W HID kit produces up to 4-5 times the light of a 60W Halogen bulb. 55W HID will produce approximately 8-10 times the light of a 60W Halogen bulb.

#4: About harnesses. After market HID kit involves installing a ballast(not difficult). So make sure that you buy a kit that has a harness that would mate with the stock Halogen lamp harness.

#5: Have fun with whatever you do and stay away from trouble .
    Thanks for all the info, I just NOW got to reading it. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.