New to Subarus

This is a discussion on New to Subarus within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well first and for most Hello everyone, I've recently bought a 04' WRX (actually bought in June), I still VERY ...

New to Subarus

Well first and for most Hello everyone, I've recently bought a 04' WRX (actually bought in June), I still VERY very new subarus and tuning. I just finished buying a downpipe and a catback, but before installing it someone told me I have to do a tune up. Do I really need to do a tune up? and if so what is a tune up?

- also what would be the best way to have a tune up done.

Gracias.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hehe, "Tune Up". You need a tune after you install the parts, along with the downpipe and cat-back, a "cattless" up-pipe is the most restrictive exhaust piece on the 03 to 05 Subi's. So buy one of those, get some one to put them all on then look up a good Tuner shop, call them set up an appointment then ask for a tune. Another mod that is usually one of the first installed is an aftermarket intake. If you live some where that gets a lot of rain or has a lot of puddles, go with a "Short Air Intake" (SAI) if not then a go with a "Cold Air Intake" (CIA) as they will produce more power. Install all your products all at one time so yo do not have to pay for more than one Tune. Open Source Tunes (on a dyno) Range from $300 to $500. Good luck, up load some pictures!
    Oh, and welcome to the Subaru community! You came to the right place.
    Denada.
    STIzzy!

Quote Originally Posted by timb View Post
    Hehe, "Tune Up". You need a tune after you install the parts, along with the downpipe and cat-back, a "cattless" up-pipe is the most restrictive exhaust piece on the 03 to 05 Subi's. So buy one of those, get some one to put them all on then look up a good Tuner shop, call them set up an appointment then ask for a tune. Another mod that is usually one of the first installed is an aftermarket intake. If you live some where that gets a lot of rain or has a lot of puddles, go with a "Short Air Intake" (SAI) if not then a go with a "Cold Air Intake" (CIA) as they will produce more power. Install all your products all at one time so yo do not have to pay for more than one Tune. Open Source Tunes (on a dyno) Range from $300 to $500. Good luck, up load some pictures!
    Oh, and welcome to the Subaru community! You came to the right place.
    Denada.
    Ok, sounds great! But quick question, won't I fail the emission test if I'm catless. I live in New Jersey.

Well.... No, not from the up-pipe, if you go catless in the down-pipe then peobably. I am pretty sure they just do a visual test first then if doesn't look to radical then they pass that part, then they turn it on rev it and see if you have and unusual smoke out of the muffler then you if you pass you pass. But that is just what i have heard they might hook it up to some kind of diagnostic machine and test it that way. They will not see any of the up-pipe at all unless you did not put your turbo hear shield back on, even then you can only see a few inches.
    STIzzy!