I have a Stupid Question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I have a Stupid Question... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What is the series number for a turbo for an 06 wrx? I know its a td04, but is it ...

I have a Stupid Question...

What is the series number for a turbo for an 06 wrx? I know its a td04, but is it a 13g? 15g?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    13T

The T stands for tiny.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    The T stands for tiny.
    and the G stands for.... Greatly tinier?

OP: for a while, we (the community - I wasn't around way back when) thought the stock wrx turbo was a 13G. This was widely accepted as fact, but it was surprising that many people could get a lot more power out of it than expected. Then a few people did actual measurements, and whaddyaknow, it's actually a 13T - slightly bigger than the 13G.

you thinking of upgrading?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I would like to, but I think my turbo is shot..I'm looking for a stock replacement and I want to make sure I get the correct turbo

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterSubie View Post
    I would like to, but I think my turbo is shot..I'm looking for a stock replacement and I want to make sure I get the correct turbo
    hmm, I'd suggest a few things:

#1: describe the symptoms - you may not have a bad turbo - we love to diagnose

#2: It might make sense to do a minor upgrade (like vf39 or so), if your goals are heading there anyway. Then again, buying a used td04 wouldn't be expensive, and lets you save that upgrade for later.

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Well I'm only getting 4 psi...I'm trying to get another bpv because I bought the car with a cheap bov. It makes a high pitched noise..I have heard a stock 05 and the 05 sounded quite a bit deeper. And after a couple gears I stop hearing the turbo spool as much, but if I let it coast in neutral or keep it out of boost for a short time the noise returns. Help me, I can't figure this out.

Well I'm only getting 4 psi...I'm trying to get another bpv because I bought the car with a cheap bov. It makes a high pitched noise..I have heard a stock 05 and the 05 sounded quite a bit deeper. And after a couple gears I stop hearing the turbo spool as much, but if I let it coast in neutral or keep it out of boost for a short time the noise returns. Help me, I can't figure this out.
    definitely swap on a BPV. If that doesn't work, check all your boost lines for leak. At that point, you can send your turbo to a company to get checked/fixed/improved.

Are you getting a CEL? If so, which one?

Does the fan cycle when you turn the key on (with car off)?

And finally, what are you using to get those psi numbers? If it's a gauge, make sure to check the boost line to the gauge/sender.

its yer internal waste gate valve. it sounds like its stuck open.with your engine cool try reaching down to the left rear corner of your turbo and see if you can free it uphttp://www.clubwrx.net/ubb/cool.gif
    168mph makes me giggle!!

Poly- no CEL, I don't believe the fan cycles, checked the lines with a smoke machine, no leaks present, and zip tied many connections.
    Evo killer- how sure are you that it's the wastegate? I'm sure it moves, I have moved it by hand and all seems free.

Poly- no CEL, I don't believe the fan cycles, checked the lines with a smoke machine, no leaks present, and zip tied many connections.
    Evo killer- how sure are you that it's the wastegate? I'm sure it moves, I have moved it by hand and all seems free.
    hmm, sounds like WG to me. AFAIK, you're not supposed to be able to open it by hand - could indicate that it's getting flung open at lower pressure.

Besides the BOV (again, replace with stock immediately - it still could be this malfunctioning), are you stock in terms of boost controller, etc.?

So how do I fix that poly?

I mean is there actually a wayto fix it?

I'm not the guy to ask - it could be anything (bad spring, bad valve, etc. etc. etc.)

Your best bet, if swapping the bov doesn't help, is probably to give it to a turbo company - they know what to do with that sort of thing. It could easily be a cheap fix to your current turbo.

By the way, what did the fans have to do with anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast